[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the tastiest freshwater fishes other than salmon/trout,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

What are the tastiest freshwater fishes other than salmon/trout, /ck/? And what are some good recipes for them?
>>
>>8525370
>salmon
>freshwater
American education everyone.
>>
>>8525370
Bass or walleye. Cook em however you want.
>>
>>8525370
walleye is fuckin based
panko + salt + pepper, fry it up in oil
>>
File: GAFP_1602_020_IN-Jan_Mar[1].jpg (497KB, 1000x1301px) Image search: [Google]
GAFP_1602_020_IN-Jan_Mar[1].jpg
497KB, 1000x1301px
>>8525383
You actually want to see a phrase like "exclusively-freshwater or anadromous fish" typed out?

I think you know perfectly well that the intended meaning is "fish that can live in freshwater environments," whether or not they spend any of their life-cycle in saltwater.
>>
>>8525403
Then my vote obviously goes for the bull- and lemonshark, tastiest freshwater fish I have ever had.
>>
>>8525383
Landlocked salmon lives its entire life in freshwater
>>
>>8525406
>>8525383
And you wonder why nobody likes you
>>
>>8525370
Catfish. Deep fry that shit.
>>
Carp is fucking awesome its not fishy and tastes kinds like butter
>>
>>8525383

agreed. everyone knows that salmon swim up-sea to spawn in the above sea level rock pools in which they were born.
>>
>>8525403
>Crappie
That poor bastard really lost the species name lottery, didn't he?
>>
I've been fishing for my whole life and I've dabbled in pescatarian. I feel sorry for the inland people who don't have access to fresh ocean fish.

But that said, there's plenty of delicious inland fish.
God tier:
>rainbow/brown trout
>grayling
>steelhead
>sockeye
>Arctic char

Really good tier:
>landlocked salmon
Atlantic or pacific salmon
>walleye
>crappie
>white bass / white striper hybrids
>landlocked stripers

>generally good tier (can be awesome if well prepared and properly cleaned)
>catfish
>white/yellow perch
>bluegill
>smallmouth bass

Better than a frozen pizza tier:
>largemouth bass
>walleye
>crappie
>>
>>8525796
Whoops edit- delete walleye and crappie from better than frozen pizza
>>
>>8525421
Pan fried master race reporting.
>>
Elvers
>>
>>8525796
oh shit i forgot about eel. eel is totally god tier.
>>
File: perch.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
perch.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
If you can find them big enough, I like perch.
walleye is good
>>
File: drawing-zander-pic[1].jpg (219KB, 1243x484px) Image search: [Google]
drawing-zander-pic[1].jpg
219KB, 1243x484px
Zander is goat.
>>
File: 5626638e12000026007e587a[1].jpg (81KB, 630x419px) Image search: [Google]
5626638e12000026007e587a[1].jpg
81KB, 630x419px
>>8525942
Speaking of eel (which is underrated), "sea" lampreys are pretty good. They have a similar life-cycle to salmon, so you'll find them in rivers.

They are nearly boneless, and can be prepared like squid/calamari. And they are under-fished because they are ugly (they inspired the visual design of the sandworms in 'Dune').
>>
>>8525748
better known around my neck of the woods as White Perch.
>>
>>8527130
white perch are different than crappie. but maybe your neck of the woods just calls some things by the wrong name
>>
>>8527130
In my neck of the woods, the white perch is known as a silver bass and a crappie is a crappie.
>>
>>8525370
walleye, northern pike, bass
>>
>>8525748
Where my parents are from, near the Illinois/Iowa border, they call it Buffalo. I only made the mistake of ordering 'Buffalo' once

>inb4 flyover land
>>
>>8525370
Sturgeon.

>>8525383
Ahem, I live in prime salmon country, and here, you fish for them when they are in FRESH water, asshole.
>>
>>8526834
>lampreys
It's not as if these things won't try to latch onto you. I wouldn't want to fuck with those things either.
>>
File: 424_55[1].jpg (136KB, 1021x766px) Image search: [Google]
424_55[1].jpg
136KB, 1021x766px
>>8527140
Crappies are pretty tasty, whatever people call them.

Other than frying them, you can steam them Chinese-style with sauces and scallions, and they turn very tender and flavorful.

Their modest size means that the steaming process gets to all of the meat.
>>
Walleye, sunfish, perch

We love eating gar around here. We go spearing every weekend during the summer and get a bunch of them. Hard as nails to clean but you get the filets from them and bread and fry them like little balls and they're delicious

inb4 some faggot from California calls me a hillbilly
>>
>>8527486
>We love eating gar around here.
It was never worth it to me to clean the boney fuckers.
>>
>>8527486
Why would Californians call you a hillbilly? I live in NorCal and go fishing regularly. Salmon, trout, bass, and on occasion sturgeon (you need a group of people to pull in a sturgeon). Fishing is a very popular activity here, and big business along the northern coast.
>>
File: lamprea%20en%20piscina[1].jpg (953KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lamprea%20en%20piscina[1].jpg
953KB, 1500x1000px
>>8527453
Lampreys don't usually go after humans; they seek out cold-blooded fish that they can latch onto and suckle for days or weeks. Even if you're swimming around them, they'll tend to avoid you.

Also, they aren't that strong. If one bites you, you can just pull it off without much difficulty.
>>
>>8527168
Freshwater largemouth bass over 12" taste like cardboard, idiot. They're fun to catch, but they are worse than carp in terms of flavor. Are you black?
>>
>>8527494
They're really not that boney, you just need to know how to clean them. On every gar there's a big, solid chunk of meat near their tail. If you cut above their ribs or whatever and stop at about halfway up their back you'll got a solid slab of meat with no bones in it.
>>8527503
I'm referring specifically to the fags from San Fran or LA who think anyone who can hunt or fish is a hillbilly. But in general I said that because people associate eating gar with lower class people, like Cajuns and niggers
>>
File: DSC_0074[1].jpg (9KB, 306x408px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0074[1].jpg
9KB, 306x408px
>>8527547
They'll latch onto you easily if you lead their head onto you though.
And whenever you get a corpse in the water they'll have a feast.
>>
>>8525370
I personally love tilapia because it's thick/"meaty", it doesn't flake like cod does, and holds its flavour well in that kind of buttery almost poultry-like base that makes it excellent to replace meat in normally-meat-centric dishes (like curries/stews).
>>
>>8527658
Yeah, LA can drop into the ocean for all I care (although they do pull in most of the state's revenue, due to Hollywood), but San Francisco isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, there's a lot of idiots there, but believe me, there's plenty of red blooded, hearty Americans there who will eat any kind of fish, meat, whatever. I live about 100 miles north of SF, but I go down there for concerts and stuff like that. It's really pretty chill.
That said, I grew up in TX, so I've eaten gar before, it was tasty. We fished a lot growing up too, mostly catfish, bass, and at the coast redfish.
>>
>>8525370
Catfish can be good if they're grown rather than wild. Also raw is best type fish.
>>
>>8529175
i can't think of a single freshwater fish that id eat raw, whereas I've had almost every saltwater fish raw, other than the obvious ones that aren't "clean" like swordfish

but if we're getting into saltwater fish... my new obsession is Black Seabass. Over the last 4 or 5 years they have really come into the north atlantic in huge quantities. they are easy to catch and plentiful. and OH SO DELICIOUS. its like a sweet subtle buttery quality to the meat, delicate and subtle tasting, but not so delicate like sole that they are easy to fuck up.

Getting me excited for spring.
>>
File: IMG_0886.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0886.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Walleye
Trout
Crappie
Channel/blue Catfish
Smallmouth bass

Honestly though, it's all about how you filet and prepare the fish. I've seen people fuck up some of my top 5 here, and I've had some very well prepared "trash" fish like mud cat and hybrid bass.

Pic related
hybrid bass we caught last summer
>>
>>8525716
Garbage fish that tastes like mud
>>
File: 1474798854833.gif (3MB, 360x249px) Image search: [Google]
1474798854833.gif
3MB, 360x249px
>>8525383

>eating pacific silver sockeye before they start going up river to spawn

This guy...
>>
>>8525988

I've only eaten perch twice but it wasn't bad.

Like any fish you have to know specifically how best to prepare it. A good perch though you can just burn over a nice fire. Perch is a lesser known high quality fish.
>>
>>8529367
hybrids are great. i wouldn't call them a trash fish at all.
>>
>>8525796

This guy knows very well what he's talking about.

At least in the sense that steelhead and sockeye are without a doubt the best. I pity any peson that hasn't had at least one of them properly prepared.

Sockeye, properly seasoned and not overcooked is the absolute best fish. Or maybe a western cutthroat trout. You've never tasted the best fish in the world otherwise. It must be wild however, accept no substitutes.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.