[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Knife Thread<

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: DSC_0137.jpg (1008KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0137.jpg
1008KB, 2560x1440px
sup cu/ck/s,
post what you use to chop and shit.
I got these from my mom for my birthday.
Yoshihiro VG-10 16-layer damascus 8.25" Gyuto knife and 5.3" petty knife.
>>
File: knives.jpg (289KB, 1251x862px) Image search: [Google]
knives.jpg
289KB, 1251x862px
>>8516051
i like global, good ergonomics and lightweight
>>
>>8516051
>Yoshihiro VG-10
Looks like pretty much every VG-10 stainless clad clone coming from japan these days.
>>
>>8517125
I really can't understand why someone would like overpriced mass products by Global.

I'm not saying they are bad, but over here, you can get better German or Japanese knives for the same price.
>>
Anybody know of a good aftermarket saya or blade cover of equivalent protectiveness that won't scratch my knife? I have a Tojiro DP and the sayas that CKTG and JCK sold me put big ass scratches in the side. I have some other knives that still look relatively good and I'd like to keep them that way, if possible. A little gun shy after the Tojiro got so badly scratched.
>>
File: kitchenknives.jpg (261KB, 1520x683px) Image search: [Google]
kitchenknives.jpg
261KB, 1520x683px
>>8516051

My humble knives so far. Probably going to get a bigger/better cutting board, a larger gyuto and a smaller pairing knife. I had to get the one I have picture because it was on sale for $40.
>>
>>8517484

Global knives are great beater knives that are still high quality for 99% of the chefs out there.
>>
Anybody ever bought a knife from http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/? I put in an order last Monday and never got a shipping confirmation. Supposedly I'm paying for EMS (express international) shipping. I emailed them a few days ago, but nothing.
>>
Not at home but I have a 240mm Miyabi sg2 gyu and the global pairing vegetable and 18cm gyu that I got as a present, dunno what to get next probably a breadknife
>>
>>8517484

do you really not see the benefits of having a knife that's made from literally one piece of metal, with no handle or anything to get fucked up?

i've seen global pairing knives that were literally ground down from a santoku over years and years of heavy use with regular sharpening.. they're indestructible.
>>
>>8517512
Are you sure it was the sayas? Those things are made only of soft magnolia wood, nothing in them could scratch your knife. I have a JCK saya and a Tojiro DP gyuto 240mm too, no problems here. Maybe there was some grit on your knife before you slid it in?
>>
>>8517484

What >>8518644 says, german knifes usually are too heavy and tail heavy for me, global i can use all day in the kitchen and be fine
>>
>>8518644
I've never in my life lost a knife due to the fact that it consisted of more then one piece. My parents Zwilling knives have been worked with (and quite frankly, abused) for nearly 30 years now, most of the time washed in the dishwasher, and they are still a few swipes of the whetstone away from being great.

You are not caring for your material properly if this is more than a gimmick to you.
>>
File: anime.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
anime.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>8517484
>as you can see from my mirror finish yoshimitsu tamahagane honkasumi kiritsuke that I bought for $900 and can't be used on a wooden cutting board without having large chunks fall out of the edge at random I would NEVER buy an overpriced global, don't you know their made of pleb vg-10? it's been around since the 1990s, that's for people with more money than sense
>>
>>8519105
If you don't want fancy looking finishes you can get a standard plain looking ZDP-189 for like $300-375.

Holds an edge like a motherfucker, is stainless, and wont chip unless you're going after bone or being overly aggressive with it.

Not everyone spends stupid amounts for good knives.
>>
>>8519110
Didn't /ck/ just agree that there were no knives made of ZDP189 and that, if there were, they're not stainless?
>>
>>8519124
They're stainless, that's just a fact, the steel industry officially calls ZDP189 a stainless steel.

And further, i'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but CKTG has a selection of 5-10 different ZDP189 blades available. most are $500+, but there are two or three under $400. Especially if you just go for a ZDP189 core with a stainless steel cladding and no fancy Damascus finish or similar.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suzdp189gy21.html
>>
>>8519105
Projecting, the post.
>>
>>8519128
$400 is a stupid amount to spend on a knife unless you live in a bizarro land where you're only allowed to sharpen your cooking knife once every six months and yet your life is on the line if the knife isn't sharp enough to cut onions without crying

$200 will buy a better knife than any reasonable person could ever hope to need
>>
>>8519138
I agree, but the first post was saying $900 is a stupid price for a blade, and I agree. But $350 for basically the highest end knife steel right now in a good profile and decent finish is a good price.

I would NEVER recommend it to a beginner, but it's still an amazing steel and a great blade and if you know how to sharpen it and care for it, will easily outperform that $200 blade, ZDP189 holds its edge much longer than VG10 or Aogami 1/2/Super or Shirogami 1/2/3 or even HAP40.
>>
>>8519145
except when the ZDP only comes in like 3 shapes EVER, whereas there are countless $200 knives for every preference
>>
>>8519151
I'm not saying you need to have every knife in your collection be ZDP189, if you are going to fuck with that sort of steel and you're comfortable taking care of and sharpening that level of steel, you would likely enjoy using a Gyuto, Funayuki, Deba, Santoku, etc in that steel.

The Gyuto is your everyday chef's knife, it makes sense to spend a bit more money on the blade you'll be using most frequently.
>>
>>8519180
no, I'm not saying 3 macro-level shapes (gyuto or deba or whatever)

I'm saying gyutos come in different flavors (more or less belly, more or less spine, etc). people will split hairs over whether this one is more like a push cutter than a slicer than a rock chopper or if it's "sabatier profile" or whatever.

if you're going to put 6 months of edge retention as the #1 priority then you're going to have to live with little to no choice on the actual blade or handle style
>>
My knife for most common tasks. It's 10 bucks and works great.
>>
>>8519192
It's little to no choice in your price range.
Come back with a $2,500 budget and I'll get you a ZDP189 blade of any profile you'd like.
>>
File: hhhhhe.jpg (55KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhe.jpg
55KB, 425x282px
>>8519200
>$2,500 for a knife
so make up your mind, is a $90 global knife overpriced or not?
>>
>>8519193
just picked up a couple different kiwis and they're fucking fantastic. even use them at work because I'm not afraid of coworkers fucking them up compared to my wusthof
>>
>>8519211
I'm not that anon, they're fine beaters
>>
>>8519218
See for me personally the Wusthof is my beater that I'll lend out to someone else. My gyuto in Aogami super however is too brittle for me to trust with anyone else.

At least with the Wusthof it's stainless and not as prone to chipping.
>>
I've taken my parents two most dull and abused knives and tried to sharpen them for a while now but I just can't get them sharp, I've been grinding away forever, I'm not expecting it to super sharp but goddamn it still has issues going through paper
>>
>>8518663
>Those things are made only of soft magnolia wood, nothing in them could scratch your knife.
Can we PLEASE let this meme die?

>?I have a JCK saya and a Tojiro DP gyuto 240mm too, no problems here.
Don't lie.
>>
>>8519897
What are you sharpening with?
>>
>>8516051
just FYI "Gyuto" basically means "beef knife" and the fact that you're applying mystical meaning to the term just cuz you can't speak moon runes makes you a fag
>>
>>8520456
just fyi the "english" term "beef" came from a latin root word as a result of french influence, so the fact that you think saying it instead of "cow meat" because you think everything french is fancy makes you a huge homo
>>
>>8520463

oh man i got BTFO
>>
File: KiwiKnives_1_4.jpg (71KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
KiwiKnives_1_4.jpg
71KB, 450x300px
>>8516051
Bought pic related for $5. Best knife I own. It cuts amazingly with little resistance since its so thin. 1/5 metal but 5/5 knife. Kiwi Knife.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.