[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I season my cast iron skillet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: castironj.jpg (8KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
castironj.jpg
8KB, 300x260px
How do I season my cast iron skillet?
>>
>>8494227
you don't
>>
>>8494227

piss in it
>>
Clean it
Heat it
Oil it
Heat it
Oil it
Heat it
Oil it
Heat it
Oil it

And then never wash it with soap.
It gets better more you use it
>>
This seems like a good place to ask:
I have a nice frying pan, but want cast iron like the OP. Should I also get a cast iron frying without the raised indentions?
>>
>>8494227
You scrub it very well, to remove the wax that was to keep it looking pretty in the stores until bought by you. You can then do the rubdown with oil and bake it a few times, which helps the underside as well as the cooking surface.
But, you should know "new" cast irons are as smoothly polished in the casting process and it was in the olden days of vintage items, no matter which brand you get, and you really can't season it like you think you are supposed to get it for nonstick reasons. The seasoning now is really to prevent rust. And, so really you should assume you can only keep up some kind of amazing slick carbonized coating that lets you cook scrambled eggs or something. Just make dishes that use oil to aid you.

As far as soap goes? That's a myth. You can wash it normally, just don't scrub the shit out of the surface with a scouring sponge. Think more about moistening a crust with hot water and then getting off any bits. Not even a true soak, just a moment will do. A pan should be air dried, and never put away wet, and if you wish, you can give it some loving oil before putting away, but know that it can turn rancid (sticky) if you very infrequently use it. Lots of use and frying is the way to keep this thing in tip top shape.
>>
File: skeppshult.jpg (359KB, 1311x600px) Image search: [Google]
skeppshult.jpg
359KB, 1311x600px
>>8494677
Yes. OPs is for making pretty lines only. For anything else, including searing meat, you want a smooth one.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.