[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite liqueur, and why is it Cointreau?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: liq_coi1.jpg (93KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
liq_coi1.jpg
93KB, 540x720px
What's your favorite liqueur, and why is it Cointreau?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (181KB, 600x805px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
181KB, 600x805px
>cointreau
funny way to spell Grand Marnier
>>
Drambuie.
Best liqueur made from best spirit.
>>
>>8492757
Amaretto for me
>>
Vodka because I hate myself
>>
>>8492773
Totally different taste grand Mariner is a blend of cognac and triple sec while Cointreau is just a triple sec
>>
>>8492796
Looks good gonna have to try
>>
>>8492802
Not bad but I always thought it tastes a little weird
>>
>>8492773
are you french or from south carolina
>>
>>8492850
I'm a filthy yankee from Pennsylvania, no French background. It's my favorite because i love citrus and the first alcohol i ever tasted when I was like 12.
>>
>>8492896
>>8492896
Funny I'm not him but in NC it's a staple for parties and shit
>>
I don't really like liqueurs.
>>
>>8492919
I really only like Cointreau as a digestif almost all others are either too sweet or just disgusting
>>
>>8492923
>Cointreau
>Not super sweet by itself
It's great in margaritas and sidecars but drinking it neat is sort of gross.
>>
>>8492937
It's pretty expensive for a mixer but on occasion if I'm feeling spendy I'll mix it with sprite or fanta, and it's the bomb
>>
>>8492757
because it's whisky
>>
campari
>>
File: liq_jag1.jpg (90KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
liq_jag1.jpg
90KB, 540x720px
>>
>>8492757
I like me some homemade liqueur, especially raspberry. It adds a nice edge to a mug of hot chocolate.
>>
>>8493176
if you're talkin' about 'shine, "apple pie" is delicious
>>
>>8493233
Nah, I just mean berries or whatever that have basically just stewed in vodka for awhile. Moonshine is just plain liquor, not liqueur.
>>
>>8493242
>liquor, not liqueur.
i always get them mixed up
>>
Canadian Club Whiskey
>>
>>8493176
Mmmmm raspberry
>>
File: PPT-vd-Hum-Liqueur1_web1.jpg (131KB, 320x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PPT-vd-Hum-Liqueur1_web1.jpg
131KB, 320x1000px
>>8492773
That's a funny way to spell Van Der Hum
>>
After trying a solid limoncello made by my cousin I've taken to making my own liqueurs.

> lemon
> blood orange
> lychee/rose
> blueberry
> raspberry/blackberry

It's pretty fun to fool around with making them.
>>
>Implying there's any other correct answer
>>
File: 1484716705581.jpg (6KB, 191x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484716705581.jpg
6KB, 191x250px
>>8494045
Fucking disgusting
>>
>Liqueur where the only indicator of the contents are a brand name
How the fuck do you people put up with this? Do you just have money to blow on trying everything until you find the ones that aren't shit?
>>8494031
Interesting, how does that work?
>>
fireball whisky and limoncello
>>
>>8494113

> the only indicator of the contents are a brand name
I don't understand what you mean by this, could you elaborate?
>>
>>8494191
Not him but he probably means that because most liqueurs and their specific taste are brand exclusive, but are also expensive, how do people go through/put the effort and money to find their favorite
>>
>>8494191
>>8494019 is a good example of what I mean, probably. It's hard to be certain when I can't physically examine a bottle
>KWV VAN DER HUM
That's not a flavor
>Cape Dutch
I'm going to guess that's a place, so also not a flavor
So I have no way of having any sense of what it'll taste like unless I buy it. Maybe that one has a flavor on the back or something but I've definitely encountered liqueurs that don't
>>8492773 says orange, that's a clue, most limoncellos say lemon, or stick a lemon on the label
>>8493162 says Herb, which is still too vague for my liking but better than nothing, at least
>>8494196
Pretty much. I know they can't just give everyone a free taste but I don't think a hint regarding the flavor is too much to ask for
>>
>>8494205
It's probably why I stick to one brand and don't deviate, because I have no other knowledge of a better brand and don't feel like wasting $40+ on something I might hate knowing I like one thing already
>>
>>8494205
>I know they can't just give everyone a free taste but I don't think a hint regarding the flavor is too much to ask for
>overtones of paint thinner and charcoal, finishing on a light note of Vick's Vapo-Rub
>pairs well with orange juice and symptoms of depression
>>
>>8494196
>>8494205

Van Der Hum has a tasting description on the back, so does Jägermeister (on some bottles, anyway). It helps if you know that 'herbal liqueur' has a general meaning in European countries, or that 'Triple Sec' is two distinct things, but you don't have to try the liqueur to find that out. Most liqueurs aren't going to have a precise assay on the back, but there are certainly indicators of their contents.

I mean even 'cherry brandy' still doesn't tell you how the liqueur actually tastes, does it?
>>
>>8494215
That's fair, I try to be a bit more adventurous but it's hard
>>8494217
I don't think that's a liqueur
>>8494224
Yeah, not knowing what certain things mean is a bitch and mostly my fault, but some of them really don't have any clue but the brand name. Next time I go booze shopping I'll find a specific example to bitch about
> even 'cherry brandy' still doesn't tell you how the liqueur actually tastes, does it?
Well not completely, but it should taste a little like cherry, a little like brandy, and possibly some other stuff.
I'll take that level of detail over just brand name and alcohol content any day
>>
>>8494237

So, out of interest, would you consider Orgeat or Chambord to be in the category of mystery drinks? They are well-established, but the name doesn't indicate contents (and, indeed, Orgeat is misleading since it doesn't have barley in it). Is the issue specifically with impulse-buying new liqueurs rather than choosing to go out and buy something different?
>>
>>8494245
Assuming your descriptions are accurate I would
I guess what I do counts as impulse buying, I never really intend on getting booze before I head out.
Okay, new plan
>Look up liqueurs in general
>Compile a list of things that sound good
>Bring list to store and cross reference with their stock
>Buy something
Still seems kind of shitty but I guess I won't get blindsided
Of note, Orgeat isn't on wiki's list of liqueurs, so I guess I still might be stuck from time to time
>>
>>8492757
I love the smell of this shit
>>
>>8494257
Orgeat is a flavourant syrup, its alcohol content is either zero, or very low, so it's probably not on Wikipedia's list of liqueurs, in the same way Peychaud's woudn't be on there, even though it's a key mixer.

New question, how do you drink liqueurs and what do you like?
>>
>>8494267
Ah! That makes sense. I don't know shit about mixing, nor am I inclined to suspect I have the money to spend on anything that costs itself appropriately for the local liquor stores and doesn't actually contain alcohol (there's a government monopoly here so prices are shit)
>how do you drink liqueurs?
Straight, chased with whatever's handy. Mango nectar is really good for chasing, I find, if a bit more expensive than most juices
>What do you like
So far I've mostly been trying the higher % stuff since it's usually cheaper per alcohol volume. Of that, Limoncello is tolerable, Fireball would be nice if it wasn't so damn spicy but I'm sure that's what's masking the alcohol, and Krupnik inexplicably tastes like overripe bananas, so Limoncello's my favorite so far
>>
>>8494278
>Cheaper per alcohol volume

There's problem. Liqueurs are not a way to get buzzed, they are super-expensive per unit alcohol, regardless. If you are looking to enjoy the alcohol content I suggest you look at fortified wines, rather than liqueurs.

Broadly, liqueurs are one of three things:
Aperitifs/Digestifs - Drunk neat or mixed, before/after a meal. Most herbal liqueurs are digestifs, and include herbs thought to stimulate digestion, most citrus liqueurs are aperitifs.
Creme liqueurs - Super-sweet liqueur almost exclusively used as a flavourant. Sometimes used as a substitute for dessert wines. Not to be confused with 'crean liqueurs' which contain cream and tend to be quite strong, they are usually sipping liqueurs, though the sweeter ones might be used like a creme.
Sipping Liqueurs - Does what it says; they are intended to be drunk sip by sip over a period of time, outside of a meal.

Most liqueurs are used in some cocktail or other, and may be used in more than one capacity in different cocktails. They're really not intended to just be necked.
>>
>>8494329
>they are super-expensive per unit alcohol
Around here Limoncello is 10% more expensive than cheap 40% vodka on a per-alcohol basis, and most of the liqueurs around the same % are about the same price per, unless there's some fancy brand involved
Still neat to hear about how other parts of the world handle things
Never heard of fortified wine until now, sounds interesting
It's crazy that all this though is put into liquor and the only place I've heard any of it is on a singaporean mural forum
This is definitely another thing I'd appreciate seeing on the labels but I must be in the minority else it'd already be on there
Yeah, still haven't branched into cocktails yet. I should at some point
That might explain why I'm having so much trouble finding one to drink straight, but I think I'll still take the Limoncello over vodka
>>
>>8492796
Is bloody delicious after a meal or 1:1 in ristretto but also makes a great ice cream.
I make a couple myself, favourites are lychee, pomelo, and plum
>>
>>8494590
Oh and a good fernet is always welcome
>>
File: 113-1723-2.jpg (116KB, 356x800px) Image search: [Google]
113-1723-2.jpg
116KB, 356x800px
>>8492757
So I picked up some brennivin without knowing what it was. A friend vacationing in Norway told me to try Aquavit, and I fucked up from there.

Any input? Supposedly it's like rat poison you drink to avoid the taste of rotten shark.
>>
>>8495989
It looks as if it is a vodka like spirit that is a little spicy
>>
>>8495989
>brennivin
yeah that shit is fucking disgusting gl homie. Only time I had it was while on vacation in Reykjavik after the "Fishermans' dinner" which included shark, smoked whale and smoked puffin.
>>
File: FOR_ME_ITS_THE_MCCHICKEN.jpg (117KB, 646x484px) Image search: [Google]
FOR_ME_ITS_THE_MCCHICKEN.jpg
117KB, 646x484px
>>8492802
>for me
For me it's the McChicken
>>
>>8496460
Yeah it's absolutely awful.

Tastes like some fucked up unsweetened mixture of rye bread, dill, and licorice.

Probably great at masking the taste of rotten shark though.
>>
FERNET BRANCA
E
R
N
E
T

B
R
A
N
C
A
>>
>>8494031

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but for the blood orange and lemon ones I'm making I'll infuse the zest with everclear and freeze the juice and leftover flesh/rind separately.

After 45 days I sieve the everclear and combine with juice while I make a syrup simmering water and sugar with the flesh/rind. I combine the syrup with the liquid and let it sit for another 45 days, and if I'm feeling froggy, infuse it with another round of zest.

Sieve again and the 2nd zest can be used for a new batch.
>>
>people posting amaros

the real answer is creme de mure, bramble is the goat cocktail
>>
>>8495989
Not a liqueur. It's basically oak+caraway flavored vodka. Good stuff if you like caraway.
>>
File: ItsCropsSeasonMotherfucker.png (65KB, 297x308px) Image search: [Google]
ItsCropsSeasonMotherfucker.png
65KB, 297x308px
>>8498448
>amaros
The plural is amari. Now take your fruity training wheels off and take a ride on the bitter side.
>>
>>8497201

I've only blacked out once in my life and it was drinking Fernet.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.