[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a diet in February with a dozen or so co-workers as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Starting a diet in February with a dozen or so co-workers as part of a friendly competition (with a nice cash prize to boot). Meal planning and exercise isn't much of a concern, done it all in the past and I'm not worried about it. This time around I want to focus on establishing a healthier system of bacteria through my diet though. Doing so should aid in digestion and help keep weight off easier.

What are some good foods to propagate healthy GI flora?
>>
>>8492165

Sausages and milky bars
>>
Ferment your own vegetables.
>>
>>8492165
Anything high in soluble (not insoluble) fiber or resistant starch, so many fruits and vegetables.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut-microbiome-strike-it-rich-with-whole-grains/
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/120913p16.shtml
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sources-soluble-fiber-natural-foods-2125.html
http://www.nutrientsreview.com/carbs/dietary-fiber-soluble-insoluble.html
So beans, whole grains like oats/brown rice, Brussels sprouts, eggplant, squash, sweet potato, oranges/grapefruit, and flaxseed.
>>
Kefir, homemade. Easily done
>>
File: yakult_1743016c.jpg (16KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
yakult_1743016c.jpg
16KB, 460x288px
Do these probiotic drinks work, or are they just a meme money-sink?
>>
>>8492165

plain yogurt
>>
>>8492165
Sauerkraut. It fixes my innards after an alcohol binge
>>
>>8492469
Doesn't survive the stomach...
>>
>>8492469
>10^8 microbes in whole drink TOPS
>10^12 microbes in a GRAM in intestinal tract

you tell me?
>>
>>8492501

Yes... yes I see... numbers, right. Ok.
>>
>>8492501
Clearly the answer is probiotic enemas.
>>
>>8492165
Well, don't kill your flora with antibiotics or alcohol binges.

Different types of yogurt of course, as well as some fermented foods like natural pickles (beware the sodium in excess though) or homemade kimchee (got some asian markets?).

>>8492469
>Do these probiotic drinks work, or are they just a meme money-sink?
Most people say they are memes, and for those who go to the doctor they advise taking the capsule instead, like 200x the cultures than a cup of yogurt. So, I guess OP, that's really your best bet if this some goal during your dieting process.

There's IBS people who claim there should be a balance of healthy to bad flora, and some people who have issues with bloating and gas are just tipping the scales the wrong way on the bacteria that isn't so good (after a h.pylori test of course), and thus, they should limit "FODMAP" foods, which are high in some sugars that cause some overgrowth of the bad gut stuff, and keeps you in perpetual symptoms.

Good luck on your diet challenge!
>>
>>8492498
This is an oversimplification. If we're talking about eosinopilic bacteria they can very well survive the stomach, and might have some effect in the intestine (most of the small intestine is a black hole as far as knowledge about our microbiota goes), but the problem is that even if they do survive the stomach they won't colonize our body permanently, but rather just pass out the other end. Regarding the actual effects I think the studies are quite conflicting but at least it doesn't seem to be bad for you (aside from the economic aspect)
>>
Don't exceed 10 hours between your first meal of the day and last meal of the day. Once you've had food after waking up (anything besides water counts) start a count down of 10 hours. Stick to that window.

If you want more info, google time-restricted eating.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.