[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BROKE STUDENTS/ - GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 20170110_114505 - Copy.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_114505 - Copy.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
So a quick question on the matter of cooking legumes in a rice cooker.

How do you recommend cooking dried split peas with rice?

Normally I soak the peas in water for about 6 hours, then put them in the rice cooker with the rice and cook them together.

Now here's the problem, when the rice cooker finishes, the rice is far more soggy than normal, and the peas are harder than they're supposed to be.

Also, any advice for a broke af student in terms of cooking options would be nice. Pic related is my pantry
>>
>>8452646
>puts peas into RICE cooker
>wonders what went wrong
>>
>>8452657
I'm lazy as fuck and want to minimize dishes to clean
>>
you can just boil them in a kettle and that's exactly one dish you need to clean
>>
>>8452667
a kettle is essentially the same thing as a rice steamer though
>>
>>8452646
Kitchenless refrigeratorless broke student master race reporting in.

My diet consists of canned vegies and One A Day Men's mulivitamins.
>>
>>8452673
eating canned food all the time makes you consume way too much sodium
>>
>>8452671
>a kettle is essentially the same thing as a rice steamer though
Wrong. A kettle is designed to heat its contents and keep applying heat. A rice steamer is designed to heat its contents but has a timer to shut off the heating element.

OP, what you need to do is boil the split peas until they're almost-soft-enough before adding them to the rice.
>>
>>8452681
ok that makes more sense.

How about this, If i were to use brown rice instead of white rice in the steamer (considering the cook time is much longer, and requires more water to be boiled off) would that be sufficient to make the peas soft?

Or if i were to go the kettle/boil route, would I still have to soak the peas beforehand, and how long would you say i would need to boil them to make them soft enough to add the rice?
>>
>>8452646
What do you put on your rice?
>>
>>8452744
soy sauce and butter
>>
>>8452795
B-butter..?
>>
>>8452903
Not the same guy, but give it a shot. Soy sauce and unsalted butter taste like they were meant to go together.
>>
Spring for meat and get clearance shit st the discount cooler

I got a bulk pack of country style ribs for like eight bucks and a big bag of shredded cheese

Slice up a rib and quickly fry in a pan and put in a tortilla as a burrito or quesadilla with the cheese and prepared rice

Put on pan until browned and cheese melts

One rib can make two of these. Worth the cleaning.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.