[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Curry by country

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: paneer-tikka-masala-1.jpg (72KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
paneer-tikka-masala-1.jpg
72KB, 500x333px
Anyone care to redpill me on the differences between curries by country? I love Indian and Thai curry, but they're the only two kinds I've eaten. Both pretty different, Indian is definitely spicier, whereas Thai is pretty sweet and almost like a soup.

What are the definitive factors of curry from Japan, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc and what makes them so distinctive from one another?
>>
Not sure of the differences, but when you say you have tried Indian curry, keep in mind that North & South India have pretty different styles I think.

I love some fresh Naan & good Indian food
>>
>>8448722
There's a massive amount of variation among even just Thai curries. Some are spicy as fuck, some are mild. Some are sweet, some are not. You're already making a mistake by classifying Thai as a "kind" of curry. Same with Indian, really. They also have a massive variety of dishes that might be called "curry".

About the only one you mentioned that could be even remotely considered as a single type is Japanese.

Curry came to Japan as follows. During the 19th century when Japan was opened up to the West they realized their Military was far behind the times, so they copied the West. They revamped their army and based on that of Prussia. They based their navy on the British. They went so far as to copy every procedure used by the British, right down to the British naval recipe for curry. It started out being a dish served to sailors aboard ship. Then curry restaurants popped up around naval bases, originally to serve sailors, but the popularity grew beyond that. Japanese curry therefore has its roots in a very specific recipe that was copied from the British Navy's cookbook. But even then you get local variations & twists on the dish, just as you would with any other food that's been popular for a while.
>>
File: thai-curry.jpg (157KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
thai-curry.jpg
157KB, 768x1024px
easy to make thai curry at home, this brand rocks. Just add coconut milk

You can find it at Asian markets.
>>
>>8448750
I only had golden or panang Thai curry until yesterday when I tried emerald. They really did taste almost completely the same. Delicious, but I can't pick out the differences in the flavor.
>>
>>8449080

If you found panang curry to taste the same as the green curry then you've been eating at shitty restaurants.
>>
>>8449088
This.
They shouldn't taste alike.

They are all so good.
Masaman, Panang, Red, Green, yellow Thai curries.
>>
>>8449116
>>8449088
Every Thai restaurant I've been to tastes the same as the curry paste I buy. I don't know where to get curry that has effort put into it.
>>
>>8449120

Sadly, that's kinda standard with Thai restaurants in the west.

>>I don't know where to get curry that has effort put into it.

Your kitchen, assuming you can find the ingredients. A lot of "Thai recipes" will feature substitutions of ingredients. That absoloutely ruins them. If you want to make Thai curries then you absolutely must be able to find things like kaffir lime leaves, galanga, thai chilies (fresh for green curry, dried for red), and so on.

I can confirm these Thai cookbooks are legit:
-Pok Pok by Andy Ricker
-Thai Street Food and Thai Food by David Thompson
-Simple Thai Food by Leela Punyaratabandhu
>>
>>8448722
south India spice, north India more for aroma
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.