[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

turkey pie debacle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Turkey-Pot-Pie_9585.png (157KB, 380x255px) Image search: [Google]
Turkey-Pot-Pie_9585.png
157KB, 380x255px
i made enough filling for 2 turkey pies

i cooked the first one at my house, in a cast iron pan at 400 for ~ 40 minutes and it turned out perfect

i cooked the second one and my grandparent's place, in an aluminum pan (? not 100% sure, just used what they had), it took over 90 minutes at 400 before it was ready to eat

is their stove just garbage (it's much newer, larger, and more "modern" than mine).. or does the cast iron make that huge of a difference?
>>
Why not just par cook it at home and finish it at your fictional grandparents house?

Am I supposed to have intimate knowledge of your non existent grandparents appliances? Why wouldn't you just set and wrap the second pot pie in your own cast iron pan and transport it that way? How did you transport both the dough and the filling to your grandparents house? Could Mozart still be alive? Why not just bring some leftovers of the first pot pie to your grandparents and nuke it? Why is Donatello the best Ninja Turtle?
>>
>>8447644
it happened in the past, illiterate swine
>>
File: 1477086985999.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477086985999.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>8447657
Doesn't everything that transpires happen in the past?
>>
Wtf is a Mogwai anyway? Is it not a regular gremlin?
>>
On the way to your grandparents' house was the filling in the second pie or was it packed separately from the crust?

A big part of what baking does is dehydrate, so the extra cook time could have had to do with increased moisture in the crust due to the migration of moisture from filling.
>>
>>8447710
in both pies the filling and the crust were kept separate until they were assembled and put in the oven
>>
>>8447626
It's probably that their oven sucks. Thermocouple probes in ovens can lie. The only way to be sure is to check both ovens with the same standalone oven thermometer. If you go over to someone else's house to bake and it's important that it comes out on time, you should be a dork and bring your oven thermometer.

In theory, if both pans were cold, the cast iron one would have taken longer in the same oven at the same time because of the greater thermal mass.
>>
>>8447626
You have a warped sense of time
>>
>>8447626
>or does the cast iron make that huge of a difference?

"Cast iron" doesn't matter in this case, but it's well known that the color of a baking pan makes a big difference. A dark color absorbs heat, cooking faster. A shiny pan reflects heat, cooking slower. You might have seen this before on the side of a box of brownie or cake mix. They'll tell you to bake it longer if you are using a shiny pan.

and >>8448054 is exactly right about ovens varying. The temperature setting on home ovens is notoriously inaccurate. It's easily possible that your home oven cooks "hotter" than your grandparent's oven does.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.