[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am considering taking up canning/home preserving due to some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: canned-veg_gal.jpg (58KB, 564x495px) Image search: [Google]
canned-veg_gal.jpg
58KB, 564x495px
I am considering taking up canning/home preserving due to some nostalgia from times in Newfoundland. Is this a practical hobby for those in temperate climates? If so, what do you like to preserve? Thank you!
>>
>>8424335
i don't care about this
>>
>>8424335
my virginity
>>
>>8424335
Wassup OP. I used to pickle all the time. I haven't been in the game for a minute, but I used to like pickling tomatoesa, carrots, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, asparagus, garlic, beets. The list goes on. I say just pickle whatever is available in your area that you like.
>>
>>8424335
>Is this a practical hobby for those in temperate climates? If so, what do you like to preserve?

Depends on the method.

Lacto-fermentation and things like Kombucha get ready faster in warmer temperatures. The taste of Kombucha differs a bit depending on the temperature, as well.

Pickles last around the same time, but due to higher diffusion and more light might last just a little bit less. As long as the acidity is right, they won't really spoil easily though.

Canning meat and stuff is hazardous at best in warmer temperatures, and you are best left at not doing it. This applies to colder regions as well, if you do not know what you are doing steer clear.

Preserving things in oil is risky at home, but if you know how to test for botulism, go for it. Oil-preserved sundried tomatoes are a mediterranean classic, and quite delicious indeed.

Sugar-preserving, honey-preserving, or making jams, works pretty well. The lifetime is decreased in proportion to temperature. That being said, fruit in honey tend to last around 3 months in a warm temperature (20-30celsius), assuming you boil the fruit first. Jams depend on the contents, the moisture, and the sugar percentage.

Salt-preserving stuff works pretty bad in warm temperatures. Can be done, but don't expect a great shelf life. Since this is mostly done to fish and meat cuts, be careful.
>>
>>8424357
I forgot chili-preservation, which works fine as long as there is enough chili involved. You might end up with product so strong that you need to soak it a bit in water, like salt preservation, before using though.
>>
>>8424335

Read: "the art of fermentation" by Sandor Katz
>>
>>8424359
Now for some ideas.

>Dried carrots in oil
Just take a bunch of carrots. Cut them into thin strips, thinner the better. Cutting at angle works as well, if you do not want to make carrot-spaghetti. You need to blanch and cook them. Then you need to dry these guys: Dehydrator or an oven works, or if you're the adventurous sort and live in an area with dry rather than humid heat, you can *probably* do this outside. Just keep bugs out.

Then you need to sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of them. Black pepper works for carrots, some other peppers might work for other vegetables. Use any salt you like, but I recommend somewhat coarse sea salt. Then you fill a jar with them, pretty much full. Then you pour olive oil on top. Other oils might work just as well. Store out of direct light, preferably under 30C. If you got the seal right with your jar, could be edible up to 12 months. If this is your first time, expect maybe two.

Variations: Throw a bay leaf in there if you feel like it. Can lightly smoke carrots as well.

Obviously keep your tools disinfected and clean. Same goes for your hands. If you don't know how to test, or are otherwise terrified of botulism, you can be fancy and use vinegar or lemon juice. Latter is, surprisingly enough, delicious with carrots.
>>
>>8424363
Credit to this anon, this is good advice.
>>
>>8424379
>Canning meat and stuff is hazardous

You have some excellent advice in your post but I have to disagree with this. If you follow USDA guidelines or information from accredited universities it's perfectly safe. Also, I can't really see how the climate will change the safety of canning meat one way or another. I live in a warm climate and canned 10 lbs of salmon this July following the instructions in a University of Alaska paper on canning smoked salmon and it has turned out fantastic.

No doubt you have to follow the instructions carefully as there really isn't any margin for error with canning meat, but I think "hazardous" is a bit too strong.
>>
>>8424335
>Is this a practical hobby for those in temperate climates?
yup especially if you grow your own vegetables
>>
File: IMG_7435.jpg (372KB, 1646x1097px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7435.jpg
372KB, 1646x1097px
get a pressure canner

you can pressure can anything, it's dope

healthycanning.com has lots of safe, cited recipes
>>
>>8424335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5f9d3m35VU
>>
>>8424667
>canning
They look like glass jars not cans?
>>
>>8425200

Thank you mister autist.

Glass jars are commonly used. Metal cans are also, but they're less common for people to use at home because they require a special tool to crimp on the lids. The term "canning" is still used despite jars being more prevalent than actual cans.
>>
>>8425200
It's similar to the "grilled" cheese situation.
Work with it, anon.
>>
>>8425203

Here's an example of a home-type can sealer.
>>
>>8424343

cute
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.