[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently mentally moving towards a more sustainable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: meat-feature-v1.jpg (537KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
meat-feature-v1.jpg
537KB, 1500x844px
I'm currently mentally moving towards a more sustainable and ethical model of eating. Can some of you co/ck/s help me out with my thoughts with some principled (rather than emotional or lel bacon) arguments against or for vegetarianism?
>>
>sustainable
The demand you create is insignificant, nothing will change as a result of your diet choice.
>>
>>8424178
Maybe nothing will change as a result of my diet choice, but there's also something to be said for doing your part, no matter how small that may be. That also doesn't address the ethical issues (of both animal rights and environmental ethics).
>>
>>8424187
Why should I give a fuck about the well being of an animal that's literally being raised for food? Does a lion care if the zebra had a happy life? Why should we?
>>
>>8424169
So yawn worthy. Every adolescent student goes through this phase, good luck with that.
I'll bet you wanted to vote for Bernie too, but you weren't old enough. Don't worry child, next time you can make a difference.
>>
>>8424169
It's already dead, you won't impact whether or not they kill anymore. Lion's don't deal with this ethical bullshit. Plus eating meat is possibly the biggest reason we evolved so much and became such a dominate species. It forced our mouths and minds to grow differently and yadda yadda
>>
>>8424169
The quickest way to became a vegetarian or vegan is to take a cock up the button, good luck with that faggot
>>
>>8424190
because animals clearly can feel pain and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with my role in causing that pain.

>>8424194
Have you ever eaten anything you killed yourself?
>>
>>8424202
>I'm not sure I'm comfortable with my role in causing that pain.

Then don't eat it. Don't delude yourself into thinking you can make a difference though.
>>
>>8424169
>>8424178
>you eat self sustainably
>one persons lifetime of demand is removed
>eventually your partner (lel) does the same.
>2 people
>if you have kids 3+
>if you end up producing more food than you need and you trade/sell it, locals start buying less from grocery stores etc.

I'm not OP but I want to go self sustainable. Every meal I produce myself is one meal I'm not contributing to the system. Plus it's WAY better for you. And from a mental standpoint I'd feel a lot better knowing nobody is putting shit in my food.

I won't lie, I've often contemplated dropping meat entirely mostly while I go self sufficient because it's too easy to fuck up and kill myself. But once I'm not incompetent and can make sure my livestock don't get random diseases ands hit I imagine raising and harvesting meat like chickens and shit should be pretty easy. Not to mention some meat substitutes are way more convenient to cook and eat than the real thing. And better for you in the long run. I'm not saying cut meat out OP but certainly cut down, most people eat way too much of it anyway and it won't matter if you're hungry more often if you are your own food production line.

I'm investing in an aquaponics rig next year to harvest veggies and fish in a closed self sustainable system, after that it's chickens.
Fresh eggs daily? The ability to yank produce out of my setup and eat a meal that you literally couldn't make fresher if you tried? Fuck yes I wanna try that.
>>
>>8424242
>having kid(s)
>supporting a sustainable future

choose one
>>
File: 1359967945412.jpg (56KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1359967945412.jpg
56KB, 400x400px
>>8424242
>sustainable
>children
>>
>>8424242
Can't produce food very easily as I live in a city but definitely in an ideal world producing everything I eat would be awesome.
But also
>>8424246
this. Considering getting a vasectomy (currently 21) and figure if I end up wanting kids adoption is a thing.
>>
>>8424246
>>8424252

you do realise than when you invest in a self sustaining setup you save money in the long run, right?

I know kids cost money, but you guys can't SERIOUSLY think that running a self sustaining household isn't cheaper than a regular fucking lifestyle?

>>8424254
What kinda city you live in anon? I lived downtown in a megacity for a few years and grew a ton of shit on my balcony. I know guys with beehives on their apartment rooftops and shit. Hell, my avocado plant went from seed to producing while I was still renting apartments.
>>
>>8424260
I think what they're saying is x lifestyle with kids is less sustainable than x lifestyle without kids since you are literally producing more human beings who will go on to consume resource in the world.
I currently live in a large Midwestern US city, grow a few herbs in my window but definitely couldn't grow a significant portion of my food.
>>
>>8424294
>I think what they're saying is x lifestyle with kids is less sustainable than x lifestyle without kids since you are literally producing more human beings who will go on to consume resource in the world.

That makes sense. Unless you've got the land to run a farm and in which case the kids become free labour but who has fucking land these days. I'd be lucky to get a house with a yard.

I want to do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbODJiEM5A excuse the cringeworthy opening line. But I'd love to start something that begins with me but ends up benefiting my community.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.