[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any chefs on here that work with Saffron? Im just curious to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Saffron.jpg (348KB, 1854x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Saffron.jpg
348KB, 1854x1046px
Any chefs on here that work with Saffron?

Im just curious to see how much you guys pay to get it. My family owns a Saffron farm which produces the worlds best saffron but only sells domestically in Iran.

I would like to bring it over here and supply stores all over. But would like to see if its worthwhile.

Oh and on average how much would a restaurant want/use?
>>
>>8421597
Saffron isn't the most sought after product and its use is not very widespread

Ive seen saffron use in sugars, tea, and rice
>>
Not a chef, but in a grocery store in Finland it's 3 euros for 0.5 grams (after tax etc.)
>>
>>8421604
Yeah Im trying to work out who uses them.

Other than middle east and indian dishes
>>
>>8421604

This. It's expensive only because it's tough to harvest large amounts of it.
>>
>>8421618
I can sell it for 1 euro per 0.5 grams and still make a profit.

This is why I am interested to supply people.
>>
>>8421628
How do you suggest to get the saffron out of Iran?
>>
>>8421633
Just post it dude, its dried so Customs accept it with ease.
>>
How much u sell a killogram for in iranian currancy to make a profit
>>
If you're serious about it, I would look around at better places to research it. /ck/ isn't the best place really to do research on a business venture unless you're selling a McChicken
>>
>>8421671
I get it for roughly 1gram for 70 cents USD.

Thats not cost price, still leaving some profit for my family. But will be cheaper once I buy in bulk. Im not too sure where to start other than calling up restaurants and being like "hey you wanna buy some saffron".

So yeah. Its hard for me since its my first time doing something like this.
>>
>>8421690
You could try on ebay or amazon first and see who buys it over time and contact them if they seem like a business and try to sell direct to them
>>
>>8421597
You'd be stupid not to do so. In Europe Saffron sells for 3-10 euro per gram. If you have the resources then cut out the middle man.
>>
>>8421693
I thought about selling online but I dont want to get done by the FDA or something since it's food.

Is it legal to sell?

>>8421697

Its all about putting my foot in the door. 10 euros per gram is ridiculous
>>
>>8421703
I think you only have to worry about your local business laws. Or sell it as paint pigments or soap ingredients if your local food laws are troublesome. I don't think FDA is your problem since you're not seated in the US.
>>
>>8421704
Had a look on amazon, cheapest Persian saffron was $8 per gram.

Im planning to sell mine for $6.95...

Lets see what happens.
>>
>>8421690
it's sells about 1.82 to 1.84 a gram in india a iranina stock runs off pretty fast u would make a killing selling of it here
>>
>>8421715
Now how to get it over in India haha.

My aunty lives there but shame we arent close. Might hit her up tho.
>>
>>8421715
ok rechecked good quality iranian saffron sells at retail value of around 5.5 to 5.8 usd in india and there is also a tread agreement between india and iran
>>
>>8421720
I wont be selling direct from Iran.

Will come to me first and will distribute.
>>
>>8421719
http://www.indiamart.com/aeon-exports/saffron.html

try selling it of here but i don't know how things r in iran but here price depends of a grading system so u will probably have to send a sample portion

https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S06/is.5453.1.1996.html
>>
>>8421597
In Whole Foods at retail it sells for about $600/oz
>>
>>8421730
>http://www.indiamart.com/aeon-exports/saffron.html

Lmao Whole Foods
>>
File: lotus-cars-4.jpg (650KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lotus-cars-4.jpg
650KB, 1920x1080px
>>8421597
Ah Saffron. You don't need a lot of it because a little goes a long way, it's just one of those spices that you only need a pinch of because it has such and amazing and intense flavor.

I worked at a Mediterranean joint for a bit and made saffron ice cream...came out bright yellow, delicious and plated well with the baklava.

For a busy establishment you'd probably need about 2-3 ounces per week which, if Iranian, should be around $150 dollars. Mexican saffron doesn't have the flavor or intensity of Iranian and would likely be about half that or less.
>>
File: 20080703conv013harry.jpg (63KB, 576x385px) Image search: [Google]
20080703conv013harry.jpg
63KB, 576x385px
>Ah Saffron. You don't need a lot of it because a little goes a long way, it's just one of those spices that you only need a pinch of because it has such and amazing and intense flavor.
>>
one word
PAELLA
>>
>>8421779
And? You make a saffron tea to marinate meats. I've worked with it extensively if you have any questions.
>>
>>8421788
Probably is
>>8421789
Hey are you the guy in this pic? >>8421789
>>
File: AHAHAHAHA.png (2MB, 1832x1734px) Image search: [Google]
AHAHAHAHA.png
2MB, 1832x1734px
>>8421796
Yes I am the guy in my own post, retard.
>>
>>8421712

Honestly, good luck to you man, and happy new year :)
>>
I do use it a lot at work.

I work in a fine seafood establishment, we specialize in shellfish and mollusks, and (obviously) make everything from scratch. It gets brought out a good bit when working with scallops particularly, but most commonly we use it a lot in sauce's for shellfish as they tend pair very well.
>>
>>8421597
Have fun getting past sanctions akmed
>>
Haven't experimented much with saffron, but I do use it in my rice pilaf all the time. It's such a floral herb there's really not much I can think of putting it in. Literally a small pinch is more than enough for most dishes.
>>
>>8421734
How much are they selling it per gram? I've been interested in selling spices for a bit.. I have a hard-on for the Dutch VOC
>>
>>8421827
Whoops - I meant >>8421788
obvs
>>
>>8421597
>Iran.
Yeah, have fun selling that.
>>
>>8421597
I just steal the mccormick saffron from Walmart tbhfam
>>
>>8423524
found the nigger.
>>
File: Baba Big Jacket.jpg (70KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
Baba Big Jacket.jpg
70KB, 539x960px
>>8423524
Shit is like .99 cents at the mexican grocer... You don't want a shoplifting charge on your record over something you could get for .99 cents.
>>
Fresh from Ramsar kek
>>
>>8421597
So where from? Kozani?
>>
>>8423705

It's not the same thing though. What the Mexicans call "saffron" or "azfaran" is not actually saffron.
>>
File: saffron fruit.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
saffron fruit.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
I prefer the fruit over the husk shavings.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.