[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is santoku knife a meme. I use mine rarely, i love it . But use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: R4_damascus_santoku_bocho.jpg (656KB, 2000x873px) Image search: [Google]
R4_damascus_santoku_bocho.jpg
656KB, 2000x873px
Is santoku knife a meme.
I use mine rarely, i love it . But use average joe knife more...
>>
>>8421423
Good if you have to chop up a whole bunch of shit.
I think I bought a mid-range santoku a few years ago just to get through a season in a commercial kitchen. Was on almost full time salad prep.
>>
Why is it so ornate? Is that why it's pricey?
>>
>>8421458
One billion folds so it can slice faster.
>>
It's my most used knife... I don't have a need for a knife as long as a chef knife. Rachel Ray was right all along.
>>
>>8421423
they are useful when you have a constrained workspace but still want a knife that is tall enough to keep you knuckles off the board and can be used for transferring diced produce from the cutting board to the pot. they are also great for dicing onions, because that involves a lot of tip work. A santoku makes that easy because the lever is short and you don't need to use much force to cut.

They don't have the belly of a German knife though and they are short, that means you can't really rock chop with them. Only push cuts or pull cuts.

I am convinced they mostly owe their great success to women who are afraid of traditional, long and pointy, dangerous looking chef's knives
>>
File: 20161231_143135-1.jpg (4MB, 2654x1884px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_143135-1.jpg
4MB, 2654x1884px
>>8421458
"""Damascus""" steel
Its basically acid etching in its current form as true damascus is a lost art
Idk how much this particular one costs, but my edc folding knife is 170-200(depends on where you get it. For me was that 190), so for a quality chefs knife, anything up to 250 can be justifiable for personal use, if you spend more, thats fine, but excessive so is just for personal pleasure
Pic related my edc knife
>>
>>8421482
>>8421482
Why are female cooks so inept. My mom asked me to sharpen her kitchen knives she got from a friend (some carbon steel) so i put an 8000 grit mirror edge on one, and the rest I put a 6000 grit edge on. The carbon steel ones rusted (ive since then repaired the damage) and all of them get put in dish washer which fucks the edge
Washing knives is 2 minutes of work and saves me from soending 2 hours ever month and a half
REEEEEE
>>
>>8421485
What a piece of shit.
>>
>>8421423
>Cranky cutler's opinion
The blade geometry is excellent for slicing lots of veggies and the tip is 'ok' for some precision as you can clearly see where it is in relation to whatever you're working on. Depending on the bevel edge you get, some of them can be extremely fine if they have a chisel edge and they're universally quite hard (60-62HRC) so will stay sharper for longer. But they will run the risk of chipping on things like bone, they're also a little more difficult to sharpen for some people- so they're not exactly user friendly for some people who are careless or prone to dropping them on hard surfaces.

Things I 'don't' like
Traditional handles are rubbish unless you get a westernised one with proper bolsters. its a weak point in the design that can cause failure as well as water ingress along the inside of the blade-timber connection can corrode and be a place for bacteria and fungus to grow. Basically- fuck tradition and 'muh heritage' because its junk.
Also, avoid the blades that have the 'forge' finish with hammer-patterns along them, lot of them have no actual forging and the lack of finish on a food prep knife is just disgusting. All those dents really serve to do is leave a place for oils, water and gunk to lay on the surface, get a good high-satin or mirror finish, plus its easier to clean.

In terms of pattern welded knives (misnomer to call them Damascus)
I have made them for chefs on request, I don't like doing it because while the blades are mechanically very strong as a single-piece material blade, along each layer of metal where its forged welded and then acid-etched is a tiny gap where material, bacteria and fungus can reside. So I don't recommend them.
>>
>>8421499
>benchmade 940-2
>shit
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.