[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every time I cook rice, it turns out mushy. The 2:1 water-to-rice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Every time I cook rice, it turns out mushy.

The 2:1 water-to-rice ratio isn't working for me.

What is the best way to ensure that the rice I cook is fluffy?
>>
>>8419566
I use a 3:2 water to rice ratio and my rice turns out perfect every time.
>>
>>8419570

Can you walk me through your method?
>>
Lightly saute the raw grains with a little oil on the same pot before pouring the water
>>
Dont fucking stir it at all ever
>>
>>8419566

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf75I9LKhvg
>>
do you guys clean rice
>>
I have no idea why 2:1 is a thing. I use 1:1, rinse the rice, and put it in without draining, it's retard proof.
>>
should you clean rice or not

what does the excess starch do to the rice
>>
File: homemade-rice-pudding-vert.jpg (47KB, 360x450px) Image search: [Google]
homemade-rice-pudding-vert.jpg
47KB, 360x450px
How long are you cooking it for, OP?

White rice of any variety only needs 10 mins tops.

Unless of course that's how you like your rice or you're trying to make congee or some kind of pudding.
>>
>>8419577
Yes. For every 2 rices, put in 3 waters
>>
>>8419869
Pretty much this. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer. Check after ten minutes or so. If you don't see any water turn off heat. (With brown rice check after 15-20 min).
>>
>>8419856
Every bag of rice here in America says 2:1 and its flat out wrong. I dont know why they keep printing that, its annoying as fuck because generally I follow package directions.
1:1 is correct, maybe a little more for brown rice, and dont go by time. Cook it until the water is gone and its only steam. Keep it tightly covered the whole time and dont fuck with it, steam cooks the rice.
It takes a little practice to get to know the heat output of your burner and the capacity of your pot and how tightly the lid fits. Once you get it right, stick with it, everyone has different equipment so use good technique instead of exact ratios and times.
>>
1 cup of rice, measured.
Pour into pot or rice cooker.
Fill with cold water, run hand through rice and water, swirling and rinsing.
Drain starchy water, repeat 2-3 times or until water is clear.
To one cup of rice, add 1.5 cups of cold water, a little less for Thai Jasmin rice.
Add salt and stir lightly.
Place pot on medium heat partly covered until lightly boiling.
Once boiling, fully cover and reduce heat.
Cook for 10-12 minutes on low.
Remove from heat and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
Don't touch the fucking lid, it needs to steam.
Done.
>>
my method for perfect fluffy rice

>mix pot with 2:1 water rice, water goes in first
>dab of coconut oil, light salt
>medium heat
>Don't cover pan completely, let lid sit tilted so water doesn't boil over and steam can vent
>turn off heat when rice looks good texture, water should all be gone
>put in spices/butter as needed, stir, put lid back on for a few minutes to let it marinate and steam cook
>Serve

Only drawback I have is rice will stick to the bottom sometimes, but the rice otherwise is perfect. I use jasmine rice.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.