[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever go for a real New York slice? Think it's better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: BkBJAI7IUAAXG2t.jpg (42KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
BkBJAI7IUAAXG2t.jpg
42KB, 480x640px
Ever go for a real New York slice? Think it's better?
>>
Colin Quinn can suck it
>>
>>8418215
Fuck you
>>
I'm biased because I'm from NY, but I can't really "get" other kinds of pizza. It's not that I don't enjoy them, I just really prefer a normal slice of pizza. All the extra shit, 2 inches of dough and 3 pounds of toppings just seems so excessive for a dish that is already so stellar when it's kept simple.

That being said, I can get behind a loaded pizza with onions/peppers/anchovies/mushrooms/etc, I just wouldn't pick it as my first. A nice thin folded slice of pizza NY style is always going to be my favorite.
>>
File: 1476073396753.jpg (63KB, 512x634px) Image search: [Google]
1476073396753.jpg
63KB, 512x634px
NYC'er here.

I'm with the other anon, I can't exactly get other kinds of pizza.

I'm gonna sound like a real dick here - but what I do at this point is buy dough from a local joint I frequent, I get my pizza stone nice and hot in my oven, and I go out and buy my ingredients. This has been the best thing yet. I spend a total of about $7 for a large pizza if I make it at home.

I cut up some onion, a can of sliced olives, some pepperoni.... slices of heaven.
>>
>>8418891
is that you?
>>
File: fucking kids.jpg (92KB, 1127x720px) Image search: [Google]
fucking kids.jpg
92KB, 1127x720px
>>8418911
>>
Why is Yimmy eating pizza in what appears to be a men's room?
>>
File: wt Jim Norton.gif (808KB, 241x250px) Image search: [Google]
wt Jim Norton.gif
808KB, 241x250px
>>8418215
>>
Yeah, was disappointed. Super flat, not much flavor, bland af.

I prefer Chicago style. And yes I know it's for the tourists but fuck it, I'm a tourist.

God damn that dough just tastes so damn good
>>
>>8418797
>>8419276
Jim Norton can suck it too
>>
File: opie.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
opie.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>8419276
>>
NY Pizza is designed to be profitable for the establishments selling them, due to the reduced costs of raw materials and energy required for cooking.
>>
>>8418820
>>8418891
I didn't know what New York-style pizza actually was growing up, but I always disliked the thin, flavorless cardboard-crust pizzas with salty disks as toppings, not knowing if there was a name for the style. Then I realized that was New York style.
>>
>>8418215
>>8418797
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bps7P1MNuSw
>>
>>8418820
>>8418891
Your cheapness has ruined pizza in the city. For every decent place that is still around there are 4 dollar slice pizza places that have replaced a good place.
>>
They're good for eating half your day's worth of calories for 3-4 dollars they better have red pepper flakes to put on top though
>>
>>8418891
More of this girl.

I have one photo of her saved on here although I can't remember the filename.
>>
>>8419391
transsexual_with_cottage_cheese_lactating_breasts_copy(13).jpg
>>
Without getting into splitting hairs over the different NY styles, "NY style" is a style of pizza, it doesn't mean that it's automatically good.

If it's implemented well it's good, if not, it's shit. See: Patsys vs Two Bros. Both "NY Slice", one is shit, one is delicious.

The same goes for almost any style of pizza. Chicago deep dish - can be great, can be shit. Neapolitan margherita DOC - great, or shit.

This rule kind of goes out the window when the style includes (by definition) low quality ingredients. Take the pizza styles often enjoyed in certain flyover states - third rate random salty fried meats heaped upon doughnut batter and random canned condiments. Or the California shit - gluten free dough topped with balsamic vinegar, almond cheese, and sliced mission figs.

But, within reason, you can't tell if a pizza is good or bad based on the name of the style. In most cases it's about execution.

Source: lived in Chicago, Ann Arbor, NYC, Marin County, and Firenze.
>>
>>8419403
Lol
>>
File: giant-dinosaur-nuggets-128119.jpg (44KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
giant-dinosaur-nuggets-128119.jpg
44KB, 200x200px
>>8418210
Plenty of places across the U.S. make good NY style pizza, it's not hard. Having said that when I'm in NY I always grab a slice if I can. It's like if you're in Philly you get a Philly cheese stake, if you're in Baltimore you get a crab cake, if you're in LA you get a face lift and a sex change and if you're in NY you get a slice of pizza.

If I was in Iran next week I'd grab a kebab.
>>
I won tickets from Sirius to see Norton perform but ended up not going because my wife's sjw friend told her he's a racist and a homophobe :')
>>
File: JAY-GRUDEN-FACE.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
JAY-GRUDEN-FACE.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>8418215
>>
>>8419938
>crab cake
>not pit beef sandwich from the market
>>
>>8419970
That too I guess but I'd rather go to the Wharf Rat and grab a crab cake given the choice.
>>
>>8419938
sometimes it's all about the water, and you're not getting NY water anywhere but in NY
>>
>>8420003
Yeah, people love to say that NYC bagels and pizza are so good because of the water.

Makes sense.
There's no way it has anything to do with large ethnic Jewish and Italian populations. Must be the magical water.
>>
File: 1477086985999.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477086985999.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>8420003
I'm from NY and that's bullshit. It would be more credible to say NY has super yeast that's a family secret.
>>
>>8419329
Can never not cringe at that vid.
>>
>>8420003
could it be that the microscopic krill in NYC water are kneading the dough?
>>
>>8418935
Looks like a window counter to me. Get your mind out of the gutter young man!
>>
>>8418911
Yes that's him.
He posted a picture of himse

Wait am I being trolled!
Fuck you!!!!!!!
>>
File: 0915082slice1dollar.jpg (54KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
0915082slice1dollar.jpg
54KB, 500x375px
>>8420003
NY water is not bad but the issue is not the water

The issue is that NY pizza, relative to pizza styles from other parts of America, is relatively minimalistic. This exposes the quality of the ingredients much more than other styles which were developed to make shit tier '''food''' more appealing using flyover techniques (deep frying, corn syrup, ranch, etc).

Flyover food culture implicitly assumes that all food is pretty shit tier (or what they call "normal food"). Therefore, when they try to recreate the style of NY pizza they'll use shit flour, shit yeast, shit tomatoes, shit '''cheese''', and they'll probably use canola oil insted of olive oil, the list goes on. Then when it comes out tasting like the garbage that it's made from, wow what a shock! It's not like the pizza I had in NY!

This is also why there are so many shit-tier NY pizza places *in NY* now. Price-sensitive consumers get butthurt when the minimum price of a good slice rises in lockstep with the price of a single ride MTA fare. So businesses respond by making shit-tier pizza out of shit-tier ingredients to cater to this market segment. Pic very related.
>>
>tfw traveled to NYC
>ate pizza at Artichoke pizza
>wasn't very good
feels bad man
>>
>>8418210
nah, I live in Boston. if i want good pizza, it's easily found around here.
>>
>>8420798
That isn't NY style, but I like it anyway
>>
As a style, NY pizza is legit and pretty good.
However, nobody should be limited to a regional style. Every category of variety should be available everywhere. Why would everyone in a certain place only make the exact same boring thing again and again?
Pizza has no "local ingredients". I can see regional styles like Maine lobster, Maryland crab, local vegetables in season, etc but pizza is a commodity made from bulk ingredients, and there is no fucking reason why any one style should dominate a region. It can be prepared equally well in any form anywhere on the planet. I'm all for standardizing names based on region of origin though. My must-haves would be: Chicago, NY, St. Louis, Detroit. I'm not sure any of the others really matter, those four pretty much cover the spectrum. Did I miss anything major? I suppose we could give a nod to Italy for the minimalistic cracker crust proto-pizza.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.