[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

salt pork

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: saltpork.jpg (162KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
saltpork.jpg
162KB, 450x300px
so my supermarket had salt pork on sale, both sliced and unsliced. i got a couple of packs of the sliced stuff and was wondering what i could do with such a product. thinking of throwing some into a carbonara later this week. dunno what else to use it for.

related, should i buy the unsliced shit too? it looks just like pork belly. can you treat it the same way?

pic related, same brand i bought.
>>
it's unsmoked bacon. you can blanch it to get some of the salt out then it would be like a fatty pancetta.
>>
>>8319709
Baked beans.
>>
Microwave and put on a nice cheeseburger.
>>
>>8319709
The best use you'll get from it is flavoring other things like soups and sauces. Tastes like bland ass alone
>>
>>8319709
Why you buy sliced? If you buy it unsliced you can leave it on low heat in a pan for a few hours, get delicious rendered lard, and have leftover bacon hunks for use in things like carbonara later!
>>
>>8319760
How do you what.. nevermind.
>>
>>8319709
I use salt pork as the basis of my cooking liquid for beans or lentils. I buy unsliced though, so you might have to adapt the method a but.

>cut salt pork into cubes
>brown over medium low heat, rendering the fat
>add diced carrot and onion, saute until everything is deeply caramelized
>add chicken stock, thyme, and bay, and bring to simmer. Cook about 15-20min, then strain out solids
The remaining liquid will impart amazing flavor to whatever you cook in it.

Beluga lentils cooked that way, cooled, tossed with some greens, chopped walnuts, and roasted root veg, then dressed with a nice savory vinaigrette gives you a pretty awesome lentil salad.
>>
>>8319869
Came here to type this.

Op, use it with bones for stock. I like using it with rotisserie chicken carcasses because pork and chicken taste nice together, and both are often on sale where I live.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.