[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /ck/ do with their pic related? I've never had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: beet-08.jpg (983KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
beet-08.jpg
983KB, 1280x853px
what does /ck/ do with their pic related?

I've never had them except canned, and I found them awful that way. I know there's a lot of health benefits to them and I want to try my hand at a preparation I enjoy, but no one in my family cooks with beets.

how do you do them yourself? raw, grilled, baked, breaded? what's the best recipe with beets you've ever had?
>>
File: beets9-3.jpg (204KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
beets9-3.jpg
204KB, 648x432px
Roasted usually.
>>
Ingredients:
8 eggs
2 (15 ounce) cans whole pickled beets, juice reserved
1 onion, chopped
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
12 whole cloves

Directions:
Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, and peel.
Place beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.
In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and cloves. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.
>>
>>7222382
and this yields... beet-flavored eggs and beet-flavored beets? why eggs and beets in a bowl together? they look really stunning but I don't know how I feel about pickled beets.

>>7222360
roasted from fresh? from that picture I'd guess you treat them a lot like potatoes?
what seasonings and spices do you find work well on them? I know I could google around for recipes but I trust the taste of this board better than something from allrecipes.com
>>
Diced raw beets with diced fetta.
That's it.
I'd eat it by the bucket if I could.
>>
File: 201509031943.jpg (619KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
201509031943.jpg
619KB, 2240x1344px
I like beetroot fried rice.
>>
>>7222345
In burgers.

>>7223641
damn that looks good
>>
>>7222345

You boil them then you can do whatever. usually I make a salad with some vinegar, onion and little mayonnaise. You boil them, let it go cold and dice it up with the above. Quite nice actually. As a kid we ate them boiled and then with potatoes.
>>
File: 39349_l.jpg (129KB, 614x409px) Image search: [Google]
39349_l.jpg
129KB, 614x409px
I like a good aussie burger with beetroot and egg. Not so enthusiastic about people who add pineapple.
>>
>>7223599
>roasted from fresh? from that picture I'd guess you treat them a lot like potatoes?
I parboil them whole, skin on, then roast, then peel (optional).
>>
>>7223628
Throw some walnuts in there next time and some balsamic. I could eat that all day every day.
Pickled is my favorite beet prep though
>>
>>7223644
hello ausbro
>>
>>7222345
My mother uses beetroot in chocolate cakes. You can't taste it but it does add something extra.
>>
All these answers and no borscht. You people sicken me.
>>
>>7222345
>raw, grilled, baked
Yes. Also boiled. You should have just tried something. It wouldn't have mattered how you cooked them, they would have turned out fine. Less talk more action next time, OP.

Don't forget to eat the greens, btw. Boil or steam them if you find them too bitter.
>>
Pickled beets are 10/10
>>
>>7222345
I usually just boil them. Or pickle them.
>>
>>7223768
I don't have the money to just go experimenting with food. I'm on a minimal amount of food stamps and I'm a big stickler about eating 'good' food that isn't drowned in sugar, salt, mayonnaise, msg, etc.

I just wanted some good suggestions.

>>7223734
now that you say that, I've actually heard about people doing that before. something about the alkalizing effects of beets doing something tasty to the chocolate. that's a great idea because I'm a chocolate fanatic.

>>7223641
do you use the juice from pickled beets or cook down fresh beets? that does look kinda good especially with the green onion.
>>
>>7223752
I looked through this thread specifically to see other people's borscht recipes.
It's one of the best stews imo
Super easy too
Shame no one is posting it.
>>
>>7223599
The beets don't take on the egg flavor and vice versa. They both take on a sweet/sour flavor.
>>
>>7223773
ding ding ding, we have a winner
>>
>>7223752
the other week i had some really weird borscht. it was a meat stock with beef sour and sweetened beets. small amount of other vegetables, beef and pork and SHAVED ICE. at first i was fairly wtf but it was hot and in the end it was pretty good

anyone here beet sugar?
>>
>>7222345

My mother boils them for a few hours, unpeeled, and then lets them cool, peels them, then jars them with plenty of garlic and the water they boiled in with.
>>
Wrap in aluminum foil with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, then roast til you can put a fork through. Delicious but also makes it look like you're pissing blood later, so look out for that
>>
>>7226598
Alright, what does she do with that?
>>
File: 1322460831715.jpg (19KB, 264x259px) Image search: [Google]
1322460831715.jpg
19KB, 264x259px
>>7227872
INSERTS THEM INTO HER VAGINA
>>
>>7226319
>juice from pickled or fresh beets
Neither, really. You can use the canning liquid from tinned beetroot, chopped up boiled beetroot, shredded fresh beetroot, the leftover pulp from juiced beetroot and all sorts of things, so long as it's beetroot. That one was made with the liquid from a tin of beetroot. Besides onion greens, there's also, IIRC, coriander leaves. You can see a bit of chopped red chilli in there, too, if you look closely.

The sweetness of beets goes especially well with fish which is, IMO, a classic combination.
That plate of beetroot fried rice was part of a rice plate meal which involves rice (usually plain but stir-fried or scented is fine, too) and two to five side dishes, usually curries. IIRC, that night's rice plate had yard long beans in egg curry, mushroom in curry gravy and quick carrot coconut curry and the whole thing served with chilli/garlic paste.

More recently, I had beetroot fried rice as a rice plate with pan-seared homemade fish tofu and stir-fried jackfruit.

>>7223752
Have you ever heard of a borscht made with seafood instead of landmeat? I like a beetroot soup with noodles and various seafood.
>>
>>7222345
>Cubed pickled beetroot, fry in clarified butter
>celeriac + mash potato
>brine shrimp and mussels, fried in garlic and chilli
>button mushrooms
>seared salmon fillet
>white wine sauce

Fucking based af
>>
slice em pickle em and put them on burgers

roasting is fine as well
>>
>>7222345
Pickled with a bit of sugar added. I can just sit there and eat them like that.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.