[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Time Home Brewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: midwest-homebrewacademy-kit-2.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
midwest-homebrewacademy-kit-2.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
Need some advice.

Me and a buddy just picked up a starter kit to make 5 Gallons and we're gonna make an IPA starting on Thursday.

We have 2 oz each of Cascade, Mosaic & Ahtanum hop pellets.

But the recipe we currently have is;
1 oz. each of Mosaic[12.8% AA] Cascade [5.5% AA] for Bittering.
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5% AA] for Finishing.
2.0 oz Ahtanum [5.2% AA] For Dry Hopping

Do you think this IPA needs more hops for the Finishing process or what?

Which hopes should we use for the Bittering, Flavoring anf Finishing?
>>
>>7189342
Needs more hops. At least 16oz
>>
>>7189342
Needs more hops. At least 40oz
>>
>>7189342
>Need some advice.

Don't make an IPA on your first attempt.
>>
>>7189342
Why are you fucking around with several hops for bittering? It's literally only for bittering and will add zero taste or aroma. Go for the highest AA % for bittering and use the others for taste and aroma.
>>
Don't you want to start with something easyer? I bought a few year ago 100 kg grapes, and made a pretty bad, tasteless vine.
But it was a good start to home-brewing. (later I destilled the vine into some liquor-ish 40% drink)
>>
>>7189342
Save some hops for a wet finish, IE adding after fermentation. Hops are xeno estrogens, do you want boobs OP?
>>
>>7189637
40oz of the ones mentioned plus another 40 of Amarillo at least to give it the signature zesty citrus note of an all-American IPA.
>>
>>7189715
>a wet finish, IE adding after fermentation
literally dry-hopping which he mentioned he was going to do in the op you autist
>>
>>7189342
>brewing advice
it literally doesnt matter what you put in it it always ends up tasting like beer
>>
I wouldn't recommend home memeing
>>
>>7189342
High-alpha hops for bittering low-alpha aroma hops for Finishing.

I'd add more aroma hops at the end for finishing, yeah.
>>
>>7189707
Your run off the mill American pale ale is a pretty good starter style for brewing beer. You can't do too much wrong with brewing temperatures and the large amount of hops will override many flavors that would be noticeable in other beer styles.
>>
>>7189342
IPAs are fucking gross. Brew something else.
>>
>>7189724
Better double it just in case
>>
>>7189939
No, 80oz of dry-hopping hops might push it into double IPA territory
>>
>>7189342
Whats your malt situation?
>>
>>7189342

You picked something too complicated for your first time in my opinion. You WILL fuck up something, and your best course of action is to not panic, or freak out, but laugh and keep going. The more room you have the better, and have a stack of towels for the giant mess you will inevitably make will also help.

If I had to give you a single piece of advice though, and I think anyone whos done it before would agree, sanitation of equipment is paramount. You cannot make beer, with even the slightest bit of contamination.

My first brew was a Guinness clone and it tasted great, however it was 3x the strength it should have been. The whole family got lit after two beers each since it ended up being about 12% abv, instead of 4%.
>>
>>7191138
3 lbs. Light Dried Malt Extract
3 lbs. Amber Dried Malt Extract

>>7189675
Cuz we're idiots that don't know better. We're gone ahead and made the bittering agent purely Mosiac.

>>7191180
We only chose an IPA because we were told by several friends who have home brewed before that IPAs were the first thing they brewed and it had the easiest grace period, so if you fuck up, ot's no big deal.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.