[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I severely underestimated this ingredient, holy shit. What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

File: Soy-sauce.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Soy-sauce.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
I severely underestimated this ingredient, holy shit.
What are some condiments or general ingredients that you've gotten a renewed or surprising appreciation of?
>>
Rice
>>
>>7187085
how? rice tastes fucking awesome. even just by itself it is cum-inducingly awesome.
>>
>>7187087
Rice is an amazing food and the staple of tons of delicious meals. By itself it is in no fucking way "cum-inducingly awesome" you fucking weirdo.
>>
>>7187116
just a bit of hyperbole.
If I had to pick between the major carbohydrate stables of all the big civilizations, rice is by far the best tasting by itself. Pasta and potatoes can go home.
>>
>>7187087
Weeb.
>>
File: 1449113510280.jpg (146KB, 540x676px) Image search: [Google]
1449113510280.jpg
146KB, 540x676px
>>7187126
>only japan eats rice.
>>
File: 1410207104336.png (4KB, 137x223px) Image search: [Google]
1410207104336.png
4KB, 137x223px
>>7187087
>rice tastes fucking awesome. even just by itself it is cum-inducingly awesome
Goddamn, dude.
>>
File: Yamasa-Soy_Sauce_150ml-900x900.jpg (66KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Yamasa-Soy_Sauce_150ml-900x900.jpg
66KB, 900x900px
>>7187079
Get your ass some yamasa and make sure to stick your chopsticks in the rice!

Now you can sneak attack pearl!
>>
>>7187150
I mean, it's fermented soy beans, water, salt and yeast, it can't really matter too much what I've got right? I don't have any chopsticks.
>>
>>7187157
I like making fun of the japs but there is a difference. There's a difference between say standard Kikkoman and Yamasa. Then there are folk who pay a LOT of money for specialties within those and some others. Likely Yakuza types. There are differences in the flavors. I suggest just trying them out for yourself as you can.
>>
>>7187163
I generally just take the cheapest option, the entire reason I'm exploring new condiments is because I can't really afford a proper diet so I make what I can get more exciting with things like soy.
>>
>>7187079
Sriracha.
>>
>>7187170
There's a big difference between the shit from a Chinese bag and what you'll get from a proper soy sauce. I'm an American and even I know that.

Funny thing is that I got turned onto Yamasa from a Korean restaurant. Everyone is like salt this and salt that, fact is with a good soy sauce, you have to use very little, so really you might be using more with the shit packets from Chink restaurants.
>>
>>7187198
Well no shit, chinese soy sauce is an entirely different condiment from japanese soy.
I'm obviously talking about japanese soy sauce since chinese doesn't use yeast at all.
>>
recently have gotten back into some of my old favorites, hp sauce and mustard pickles
>>
>>7187205
That's what I said too, so try out Yamasa.
>>
>>7187209
< this guy needs to get some Colmans powder
>>
>>7187079
>2016-1
>stilll using salty soy water
>>
>>7187212
As I said, I can't afford brand names, I just take the cheapest(non-chinese, cause that shit is just bad) shit. it's not an option.
>>
>>7187218
The funny thing is that you can, since it takes so much less of it to effect a flavor. The cheapest will be shit, and the difference is only a couple dollars.

Have some taste anonfu.
>>
>>7187224
I guess. I'll look into it.
>>
>>7187218
One day you'll learn that it's ok to spend a few extra dollars to realize some taste that's different from Chinese sewer water.
>>
>>7187231
God dammit anon, as I said, I don't buy chinese soy. It's just straight up like comparing ketchup and mustard, it's not the same product.
>>
>>7187170
>I generally just take the cheapest option
Go look at your bottle. If the ingredients include "hydrolyzed vegetable protein",

it's fake
>>
I like that Kikkoman. It's all right.
>>
File: dihydrogen-monoxide.jpg (160KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
dihydrogen-monoxide.jpg
160KB, 960x638px
>>7187251
Liberal moonbat detected, I bet you think vaccines caused your autism
>>
File: images-1.jpg (11KB, 212x314px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
11KB, 212x314px
>>7187213
this stuff is amazing mate
>>
>>7187257
Nah, I just remember that episode of Good Eats and can afford to spend an extra dollar
>>
>>7187251
>soy beans, salt, sugar, water, wheat
Nope, seems pretty normal. tastes good too.
>>
>>7187260
I'll have to find those. Are those what Jap restraurants serve sometimes?

They probably keep those secret, like the plans for sneak attacking Pearl.
>>
>>7187303
das racis.
>>
Hp sauce with Guinness, brah. God tier bacon sandwiches.
>>
>>7187430
That sounds really good for an early Sunday afternoon.
>>
>>7187123
> mashing on potatoes

Have a little respect! 1845—49 never forget
>>
>>7187129

Only Japan insists on eating rice plain, like they're afraid of hurting its feelings by adding flavor to it.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no quinky sauce

plebs
>>
>>7187257

Not that guy, but hydrolyzed soy sauce tastes disgusting and belongs in a garbage can.
>>
File: horse-Germany_equestrian_fair.jpg (624KB, 1328x882px) Image search: [Google]
horse-Germany_equestrian_fair.jpg
624KB, 1328x882px
>>7187123
>STABLES
>>
>>7187236
You got the wrong anon there, I was the one recommending Yamasa or Kikkoman. Kikkoman is widely available, it's a bit harder to find Yamasa.

Go hollar at someone else.
>>
>>7188117
What the fuck did Irish people eat before potatoes came to them through trade? There was a potato famine, but they were obviously eating and drinking before that could occur since potatoes are native to the Americas.
>>
>>7189838
Why, because it sounds scary?

Show me a double blind taste test that proves you can tell the difference. Protip: you can't.

Water is a chemical. Now go lobby for GMOs to be banned, hippie. The rest of us have jobs.
>>
File: j.png (157KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
j.png
157KB, 580x580px
>>7189825
It's the rice spirits.
>>
>>7189853
Rice mainly.
Hence why we call the Irish Paddies.
>>
File: To_Serve_Man-tsmas6.jpg (30KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
To_Serve_Man-tsmas6.jpg
30KB, 640x477px
>>7189854
It's not about the taste. It's about the genetic altering of things, then the companies producing it, with patent and copyright lawyers force farmers to buy more of their products because they've also been genetically modified to be sterile. So only one generation grows.

The other thing is cross contamination on other farms.

See, it's not about just "taste."

Have some soylent green wafers while you're at it, they "taste" just like pork.
>>
>>7187131
learn to cook your rice in something other than water. Try Chicken stock, milk and butter.
>>
>>7189825
>not worshipping flavor of things
>>
Apples

People think they're only eaten raw or in desert dishes. Dice up a couple apples and garnish your next meaty or savory fish an just watch how the flavor explodes on you.
>>
>>7189998
dish*
>>
>>7189854
>Why, because it sounds scary?

No, there's nothing dangerous about hydrolysis. It's simply that it doesn't taste as good as the traditionally made stuff. The hydrolyzed version captures the main flavor of the soy sauce but it's missing something. Sort of like comparing MSG to doubanjiang--the main flavor is there but the nuance is lost. Or comparing plain table salt (pure NaCl) with sea salt which contains various other minerals.

>>double blind test
Agreed. If you can't tell the difference then eat whichever you prefer. But I'd be willing to bet the difference is more obvious that you think.
>>
>>7187150
>>7187079

And in the end it's all the same MSG.

All-natural MSG, which is produced by the yeast in the sauce. Some natural preservatives, byproducts of the MSG production (soy = feeder for the yeast), water. And the whole flavor boils down to high concentration of MSG.
>>
>>7189857
I always figured it was likening to a cow patty since the irish are shit
>>
I started putting half a table spoon of vinegar in my rice during cooking. Works surprisingly well.
>>
>>7190022

But the MSG is only part of the flavor. The rest of the sauce is important as well.
>>
File: seasoning_sauce1.png (50KB, 200x283px) Image search: [Google]
seasoning_sauce1.png
50KB, 200x283px
>>7190037
"Only part" maybe, but not like the sauce is seasned with MSG - the sauce primarily IS MSG, with a couple secondary flavor ingredients.

It's a bit like white sugar vs brown sugar, supposedly there's a subtle difference in flavor but if you drop two teaspoons of one or the other into coffee you'd be hard-pressed to to distinguish them.

And considering the usual number of ingredients in most dishes where soy sauce is used, you really won't be able to tell what kind of soy sauce was used. Yeah, if you take a drop of one or another on your tongue, sniff it, you may detect a difference. Once you use it as actual condiment, nope. I bet even if I used a typically western MSG-based soup seasoning like picrelated, instead of soy sauce in some curry chicken or such, you wouldn't notice the difference.
>>
>>7190067
That stuff tastes absolutely nothing like soy sauce.
>>
>>7190101
When taken alone, or sprinkled copiously on something nearly flavorless like rice - yes.

When added to an already flavorful dish? And in reasonable amounts, not drowning the dish, just sprinkling some and mixing it in? You'd have a really hard time telling them apart.

MSG has a very strong flavor. You may detect other flavors if you keep the sauce mostly pure. In a flavorful dish though, only the MSG flavor will survive.
>>
>>7190114
>damage control
>>
>>7190022
That's so stupid that this thread and your post should be archived for posterity.
>>
>>7187116
>>7187087

Fucking weebs...
>>
>>7190169
Come on, admit it, you like sticking chopsticks in your rice and making little bunny hats then pretending that your attacking Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>7190177
Ching chong
>>
>>7190169
Welcome to 4chan, nerd.
>>
>>7190177
I always holler out, "Tora, Tora, Tora!" Then I make dive bombing noises. They don't like it when I do that over at the VFW.
>>
>>7189998
Don't forget to load up on some road apples. You'll need them.
>>
>>7190067
theres a gigantic difference between the 2 light soy sauces my gook store sells
one is only water, soy, wheat, salt and sugar whereas the other has like 20 ingredients and is vastly inferiour in taste
>>
File: kamikaze_divine_wind_fagget.jpg (108KB, 670x670px) Image search: [Google]
kamikaze_divine_wind_fagget.jpg
108KB, 670x670px
>>7190204
Don't forget to wear a kamikaze strap on your head, it helps to keep in the indoctrination.
>>
>>7189861
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode that referenced this.

"HOW TO COOK"
"HOW TO COOK HUMANS"
"HOW TO COOK FOR HUMANS"
"HOW TO COOK FORTY HUMANS"
>>
>>7189854

Brewed soy sauce ends up tasting like the hydrolyzed stuff eventually, and does so more quickly if you leave it out, but I consider that the time to get rid of it.
>>
>>7189825
>Only Japan insists on eating rice plain
But they do shit like mix fish flakes, egg yolk, soy sauce, soup, vinegar, etc. with their rice.
Stop spreading disinfo
>>
>>7189825
China also eats rice plain. But instead of furikake we have stuff like pickled vegetables, fermented tofu, pork floss, salted duck egg
>>
>>7187079
Mustard.

I use at least a little bit in every sauce or marinade I make now. There are so many different commercially available preparations that you can easily find one with a flavor to compliment and enhance whatever you're cooking. Satisfies acid requirement for marinades and it's an emulsifier for sauces. It's also an antiseptic, so in my experience has extended life of refrigerated marinated meat a couple more days by inhibiting bacteria. Extremely underrated ingredient now. Most people just think of it as a standalone topping or dipping sauce.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.