[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pickling General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1796.jpg (481KB, 857x1143px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1796.jpg
481KB, 857x1143px
Had one last week, relatively successful.
Let's have another one. What have you guys pickled recently?

Just pickled some red and white pearl onions 30 minutes ago. Not looking to store them long term, maybe a week or so. They're just little snacks for when I want something salty and vinegary, or when I'm drinking, which there will be this weekend.

Report in picklers of /ck/
>>
How long does it take before the real strong flavor disappears? I tried pickling garlic in soy sauce a long time ago but it still felt like eating raw garlic after several weeks.
>>
>pickling
>30 minutes

vinegar pleb detected
>>
>>7184585

learn2time anon, he picked them 30 minutes ago, he didn't pickle them for 30 minutes and said 'done'
>>
>>7184553
>How long does it take before the real strong flavor disappears? I tried pickling garlic in soy sauce a long time ago but it still felt like eating raw garlic after several weeks.
Your brine wasn't hot enough.
>>
>>7184585
The only liquid I use is vinegar. No water. Is there anything unhealthy about this? It's not like I'm drinking pure acid.
>>
>>7186558
it's not unhealthy, but to some people pickling means using salt only and letting the vegetables naturally pickle themselves through fermentation

vinegar is basically pickled fruit juice though
>>
>>7184534
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. And then he raped a 12 year old. It was sick...
>>
File: hol.jpg (3KB, 125x114px) Image search: [Google]
hol.jpg
3KB, 125x114px
>pickling onions

how dare you disgrace the onion like this
>>
>>7184553
three weeks if you do lactofermentation. If you use something too acid or too salty (hints: pure vinegar, pure soy sauce) the bacteria won't ferment anything.
>>
>>7184534
Pickled mustard seeds- great for a garnish on pork or deviled eggs
Pickled red onions for tacos
Ghardineira- family classic
Would like to make kimchi & use some to mix into a home made mayo
>>
>>7184534
Irishfag here. Grandfather used to pickle eggs when I was younger. He passed away before I could ever try it with him. Anyone care to provide a step-by-step?
>>
>>7186637
>not knowing that pickled onions are the pride and joy of British cuisine
I've seen Britons dip their chips in pickled onion vinegar the way Americans dip their fries in ketchup.
>>
pickled herring, brehs
>>
>>7189600
Step 1: google pickling eggs
Step 2: Don't be a retarded Irishfag
>>
>>7184534
>Not looking to store them long term, maybe a week or so

I'm curious what you were going for there, OP. I love pickling onions (among other things) but I find that it takes at least two weeks if not longer before the flavor is really there. I can't imagine that they'd be all that tasty after one week or less. (BTW, yes, I am talking about vinegar pickles here, not lacto)

Were you going for a mild flavor? Or do you have a hella strong brine?
>>
>>7184534
Can you pickle bananas in the peel? I need to know about pickling bananas for...Scientific reasons
>>
umeboshi pls
>>
>>7190861

Strong brine, 8% acid, pickles quick but does leave the vinegar after taste. I'm entirely fine with that though since I fucking love the taste of vinegar.
>>
does pickling make it sweet or sour
>>
>>7191641

Depends on what you're pickling, and what type of brine you're using. There are many types of vinegars to choose from which can change the final taste of whatever it is you pickle. It can be sweet, sour, salty, spicy even. Choose your weapon.
>>
>>7186637
You are a sad little man
>>
>>7191641
if you use salt for fermented pickles, they take on a sour taste which gets stronger over time.

if you're using vinegar, like the other anon said some are just sour but some vinegars like balsamic are sweeter
>>
>>7189600
>Boil eggs
>Peel boiled eggs
>Put peeled boiled eggs in a jar
>Fill jar with vinegar
>Close jar
>Wait for some time. Minimum 1 week I would say

Congratulations, youve pickled some eggs
>>
>>7191484
>Strong brine, 8% acid

Can you explain this to me? Are you American?

Im Britbong. The main two things pickled here are eggs and onions. My interpretation of pickling those two things (and I think most people I know who do any pickling) is that they are pickled in vinegar, perhaps with the addition of some flavourings like mustard seeds, chillis etc but nothing else.

Typically there would be no heating involved. No mixing vinegar and water. Just straight in to cold vinegar in an airtight kilner jar or something similar and left to do their thing until they are pickled.
>>
>>7184534
I have a crock that's always going. I made a thread about my first successful batch a while ago, I'm on my like 20th. It's awesome.

This is halophilic bacterial fermentation in brine, not vinegar pickling. So salty, so good.
>>
BTW home made sauerkraut is about a thousand times tastier than anything else. Also you can throw in bunches of spices and the whole house smells like spices.

This is, as I said, with lacto-fermentation with the proper culture. I'm the pickle crock veggie fermenter fag.

So far I've pickled about 20 kinds of veggies. Most turned out good texture-wise but all are tasty.

This kind of pickling is also great because you can store the jarred pickles at cellar temperature for at least a year or two, they will continue to ferment in the jars. After a while the pickles get soft but it does not affect their nutritional value.

Caldwell's brand starter culture is what I used, but many people choose not to use one.

A good book is The Permaculture Book Of Ferment And Human Nutrition. It tells you about 500 ways to pickle and ferment foods for storage and increased nutritional availability.
>>
>>7192523

Gonna pick this book up. I'm very ignorant when it comes to fermenting foods--perhaps even irrationally afraid of it--but the idea behind it is actually a pretty sound one. I'd like to learn a little more about it.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.