[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good recipes for a whole turkey? I got one for free from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0823fix.jpg (406KB, 2256x1496px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0823fix.jpg
406KB, 2256x1496px
Any good recipes for a whole turkey? I got one for free from work (13 pounds) but I have no idea what to do with it besides baking it.
>>
>>7183658
Frozen or thawed?
>>
>>7183680
It's thawing at the moment.
>>
Deep fry, seriously, look the recipe up if you want, only way to cook it evenly and it way less retarded than it sounds
>>
Chop the back out, and separate the legs. People fuck up turkey because the legs need longer to cook than the breast, won't happen if you cook em separately. You can then just put it back together on the plate for serving. Take the back and wings to make stock for a gravy.
>>
>>7183658
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxps2PmceM

Easy and delicious
>>
>>7183715
If you are choping the legs out, you might as well chop the whole thing or butterfly it
>>
>>7183770
This. Just separate the whole thing. It's easy to do one you cut out the back.
>>
>>7183658
Cooking a whole turkey is the worst meme ever. It will never come out right unless you are using a professional oven
>>
File: turkeyboo.gif (308KB, 280x221px) Image search: [Google]
turkeyboo.gif
308KB, 280x221px
>>7183801
For a large bird, yes, I would concur with those who advise chopping it up and separating it. A 20-lb or 24-lb turkeyzilla is just not going to cook without drying out.

For a 13-lb bird, that's basically a giant chicken. Rub garlic butter beneath breast skin. Roast 325F for about 2-3h on a bed of veggies. When you see 160F in the thickest part of the meat, pull out, tent with foil, done. I usually get serious about basting and checking temperature at about the 2-hour mark, sometimes it's done at 2:30, sometimes 2:45, sometimes 3:00.

Furthermore bird in OP's pic "contains up to 8% of a solution," and on a small bird that's already pretty tender by virtue of its smallness, that's a reasonable substitute for all the extra effort of brining.
>>
I suggest jamming it in ur arse
>>
>>7183695
be careful if you fry it you have to have it thawed completely or else you run the risk of starting a grease fire. Even then it might be kind of a fire hazard.
>>
OP here, should I keep the giblets?
>>
Jeez, the thanksgiving turkey threads were much better than this shit you're getting now, OP.

The best turkey I've ever made was last month; I went with the following method from anon:

1. Dry Brining and 2. Butterflying/Spatchcocking

Dry Brining is the process of putting an intense amount of salt all over the skin for 12-48 hours (the longer the better apparently)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html

The reason turkey is so dry is because muscle protein squeezes out all the juice, as the proteins tighten while cooking. Brining prevents a lot of that. The reason dry brining is preferred to wet brining is that all the flavor diffuses into the water when wet brining. In dry brining, water diffuses out of the meat, then soaks back in.

All you have to do is put a large amount of salt on the bird, wait, and wipe the skin if you prefer less salty skin. (make sure the skin is very dry before salting and before baking for crispy skin)

Spatchcocking is when you remove the spine of the turkey and lay the turkey flat like in this link

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

It just requires two strong snips along each side of the spine with your favorite shears (i didn't have shears and used a cleaver and some weird thick scissors I had)

Here is the recipe for roasting this way and making gravy. You should save your giblets for the gravy.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

I didn't have parsley or bay leaves, so I used 3 garlic cloves and cilantro. the gravy was so good with the extra bones. you can use drippings from your turkey instead of butter if you'd like.

Not sure of your cooking level, but at least the turkey part was extremely simple. I would not take shortcuts with the pan they use, or with using a thermometer. Gravy just needs you to understand mirepoix & roux
>>
>>7187040
Hold on, the turkey in your picture is already salted, if that's the case you can skip the brining part
>>
>>7187040
>Spatchcocking
>>
>>7183801
>Cooking a whole turkey is the worst meme ever.
>meme

You really need to learn what a meme is.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.