[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>know an italian from italy >makes pizza >no finesse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1431806122030.jpg (48KB, 636x497px) Image search: [Google]
1431806122030.jpg
48KB, 636x497px
>know an italian from italy
>makes pizza
>no finesse at all
>uses AP flour
>canned tomato sauce
>everything by eye
>40% crust, 60% toppings
Don't get me wrong, I use canned crushed tomatoes but I add herbs and boil it down to reduce. His pizzas are diamond hard and the boxed tomato sauce is salty as fuck. He also makes the dough 20 minutes before cooking. Being from a certain country doesn't mean you can cook food from your nation better than someone else.
>>
Yes it does. He's Italian and therefore any pizza he makes is authentic.
You're just appropriating his culture.
>>
Anyone else glaze their crust with egg wash? Been thinking about doing this lately to give it a more golden color, maybe glaze it with a butter garlic wash half way through also for added taste.
>>
>>7182062
I've never used an egg wash on my pizza before, but I have brushed the crust with garlic butter before putting it in the oven.

I do usually put some egg wash on top of my calzones or stromboli when I make that.
>>
Don't Sicilians typically make no-frills pizza like that?
>>
File: 1449179263089.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1449179263089.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Here's the pizza he made.
>>
>>7182041
You should do everything by eye, though. You'll never learn if you stay on crutches.
>>
File: 1450076078032.jpg (46KB, 400x458px) Image search: [Google]
1450076078032.jpg
46KB, 400x458px
>>7182120
>baking by eye
>>
>>7182049
kek

>>7182678
this

>>7182120
senpai, it's one thing to improvise with a dish you're sauteing, or a casserole, or a sauce.
and improvising in baking can be good as well. but you can't just willy nilly say "im gonna make bread by eye" unless youve been cooking for 85 years and have been using the same bowl for 50 of those years and know exactly what point in the bowl the ingredients should come up to, or are a professional cook and can eyeball 8oz with 95% accuracy (and even then it's better to have your ratios correct). of course you can make your own food, its a free country, but typically it's a shit idea to bake by "eye". when your leavening is off your cake will be hard, cookies will ooze off the tray, and bread will taste like cardboard, meanwhile you wonder "what happened"
>>
>>7182698
I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but.
>you can't just willy nilly say "im gonna make bread by eye"
I actually do this all the time. Really the most important thing is hitting 2% salt. I know what 500g of flour and 10g of salt look like. Everything else, from hydration, developing gluten, how to handle the dough, and the amount of yeast/starter and subsequent fermentation time is all easily done by feel and paying attention to how your dough is behaving. If you aren't worried about having your bread ready at specific time, it's a good leaning experience to make bread by feel alone.
>>
>know an italian from italy

I would be worried if we wasn't italian desu senpai
>>
>>7182698
85 years, my arse. It's a simple matter to get an instinct for the basic recipes of spongecake, mudcake, madeira, and the like. It is not hard to remember what various quantities of staple ingredients look like.

Bread is the easiest one of all. The quantity of water actually varies depending on your location, so it is in fact better to do bread by eye once you know what a good dough feels like.

Stop telling yourself this cop out bullshit and start actually paying attention.
>>
>>7182089
Every thread. Why. Just why.
>>
>>7183193
italian americans are not italians
>>
File: 1387128343098.jpg (23KB, 502x417px) Image search: [Google]
1387128343098.jpg
23KB, 502x417px
I can't tell wether these kind of threads are actually started by Americans for the sole purpose of shitposting or if it's the Australians doing it for the meta-shitposting banters?
>>
>>7182698
I make my pizza dough by eye and I've only been cooking for 10 years. Turns out great every time. Fite me
>>
>>7183521
Neither americans
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.