[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chef Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Can we get a knife thread going for a little bit? I've never actually bought my own, I've used whatever is available in the household and I'm buying my own place soon. So I'll need a whole new set of plates, utensils, cookware, etc.

The only thing bothering me is which knife to get. I've played with santoku, chef, 8in, 7in, 6in in the past and I can't decide. I've been told to go with what feels right but it's hard to pick one that I know I'll keep for life, or until it breaks. What do you /ck/ooks use?
>>
Hi there /b/, use the catalog next time
>>7163284
>>
>>7177073

to be fair, that thread is a smoking crater of lulz and sperglords at this point.
>>
File: 1382395808018.jpg (109KB, 467x640px) Image search: [Google]
1382395808018.jpg
109KB, 467x640px
>>7177084
How DARE you reject my wisdom, I have spent thousands of hours reading bladeforums.net to reach this level of expertise. Must I spend the next hour posting pictures of my pocket knife collection, or will you finally accept my help?
>>
>>7177101

>reading blade forums
>not knowing from personal experiences
>>
>>7177073

That's an awful thread that should be avoided.
>>
>>7177119
Perhaps the same could be said of all threads
>>
>>7177057

Consider a light Chinese cleaver and a paring knife and a bread knife, that will get you most of the way there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UUWWig-pU

>Yan ftw
>>
>>7177137

>the current year
>suggesting buying a sharpened bench scraper
>>
>>7177057

Chicago or Farberware/Forschner are fine for a first knife, they're froged and ground properly and inexpensive, start there and you can buy a full set, $20 at a time, and find the knives you like. if you want a Japanese knife
>weeb hahaha
buy a Tojiro DP

don't sweat it and don't buy the knife block sets of big brand names, they're all shitty knives at heart designed for soccer moms. Or if you must, go online and buy the pro lines from restuarant supply sites. Stay out of Bed bath and beyond is what I'm saying.
>>
>>7177137
>using a cleaver for everything
enjoy your horrible hand pain and imprecision
>>
>>7177141

post ITT when you can do this with any knife you want to use:

https://youtu.be/G0k-cgnWWqs?t=21

Chinese cleavers are fantastic
>>
>>7177149

>post itt when you can do this with any knife you want to use

Why would anyone spend an extra decade slaving in a smelling Chinese kitchen just to be able to do the same shit any normal person would otherwise be able to do with a normal chef's knife?

Chinese bench scraper fags are worse than any weebs that have ever posted in these parts.
>>
>>7177057
>mfw I ask for a new bubba blade for my birthday(used old one without sharpening for 3 years) and I get a dexter
>wtf.jpg when I open the package
>act surprised and excited
>employee told my wife it's better than a bubba blade...
>3rd time using it and it won't cut through a snook's scales

why can't people just get what you ask for?
>>
>>7177162

u jelly
>>
>>7177193

>ulu poster has returned to troll even harder
>>
>>7177188
>snook
You a Florida bro? Snook is easily my favorite fish. My neighbor has a dock light that they congregate around for whatever reason.
>>
>>7177230
yeah bro
uhhhh they congregate because bait fish, shrimp, and other things are attracted to it because of the flies and other stuff.

SWFL to be more specific.

That incident happened two weeks ago, I called the company and they sent me a new blade and let me keep the old one. They both suck.
>>
Not OP, but I'm thinking of getting a Henckels International Classic 8 inch chef's knife, because poorfag. Anything comparable/better at a lower price point?
>>
I was thinking of jumping into a Wusthof because of their heaviness and quality, but I'd rather get one that has a unibody design, like a Global santoku or chef. Only I want a forged 7" chef and one I can keep for at least until I move again, ten years from now. I have bad experiences of handles breaking, that's why I lean to unibody, but I'm willing to shift if that's fucking retarded
>>
File: HB-70_15.jpg (46KB, 426x99px) Image search: [Google]
HB-70_15.jpg
46KB, 426x99px
im using pic related

smaller hands so i like the shorter length. used some henckels and wusthofs but found them too soft or expensive. yeah i could sharpen and hone more often but im lazy. chose this shape so i can better break down meats but do prefer santokus for veg.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.