[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Culinary dues & donts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (931KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
931KB, 1600x1067px
Don't let stock come to a boil
>>
>>7176223
>dues & donts

Dont due what Donny dont dues.
>>
>>7176223
>not using knorr stock cubes
>>
Don't use stock cubes, especially those ones by Knorr
>>
>>7176228

I like their poultry ones

quite a lot of taste in a small cube

I usually use like half the amount and use more of my own spices in top of it
>>
>>7176233
Taste? Sure. I can see using them as a seasoning, but they are awfully salty so that limits their usefulness. The bigger problem is that they completely lack the texture you get from a good stock.
>>
>>7176224
Congrats! you've attained the rank of pussywillow
>>
>>7176240

well to be fair, I mostly use them for soups and spiced rice pots where texture is a non-factor/is taken care of by another ingredient anyhow

you're correct in them being salty, but it's not too hard to work around that by either using less or by just cutting down on the salt in the rest of what you're using them for

+ it's dirt cheap
>>
Do always buy precooked lasagna sheets, because ain't nobody need to fuck around with parboiling pasta.
>>
>>7176243
>soups and spiced rice pots where texture is a non-facto

Are you kidding me? Soup is one of those things where the texture is most important. Dunno what you mean by "rice pot", but in many rice dishes like Risotto the texture really comes through as well.
>>
>>7176244

am I a pleb for buying fresh packaged lasagna from the store?

it's quite a bit better than the frozen alternatives and definitely isn't cheap

effortless to cook and the cheese in all sections always taste great
>>
>>7176249
If you've got the money to buy store-made lasagna, go for it. But that, I suppose, depends on what store you're buying it from
>>
Salt your aromatics while cooking them out, it draws out the water and seasons them.
>>
>in b4 /ck/ newbie cartoons
>>
>>7176248

well, the soup I use it for the most is quite thick and comes with plenty of oil, large cuts of onions and potatoes and whatever else I feel like putting in that day

pretty sure I wouldn't notice any difference in texture in the middle of that anyways, whereas with a thinner soup it'd be a wholly different story

the spiced rice pots are basically rice boiled in broth+spiced with veggies and onions, generally served boiled off without any remaining fluids
>>
Don't cut sushi rolls with a serrated knife
>>
Do not stand in front of the jet intake when it's at full throttle.

Oh no wait, that was /n/. Sorry.
>>
>>7176263
>soup I use it for the mos

That doesn't sound thick at all. That sounds like large chunks in a watery broth. Or am I missing something? Do you cook it long enough for the veggies to break down?

As for the 'rice pot' I would agree that in that case you probably wouldn't want a very rich stock as it would likely burn to the bottom of the pot if you goal is to cook off any and all fluids.
>>
>>7176288
>Do you cook it long enough for the veggies to break down?

Not him, but that's kind of the point of soup, yeah...
>>
Don't use olive oil for cooking in a wok
>>
>>7176223
>dues

Are you fuckin stupid?
>>
Do sharpen your knives once a month, and hone them before every use
>>
>>7176301
homophones are tough stuff, OK?
>>
Only use activated almonds
>>
>>7176299
Why not...I typically use peanut oil but it has a lower burn temp than olive oil.
>>
>>7176329
No, it doesn't
>>
>>7176332
Well I suppose it depends on the olive oil. Virgin olive oil smokes at 420 (blaze it) and peanut oil smokes at 450.

Still doesn't explain why you shouldn't use olive oil in a wok.
>>
>>7176233
>taste
That's MSG friend, and it's used to cover up low quality ingredients.
>>
>>7176354
I thought EVOO had a smoke point in the 300s.

But more to the point is that the olive taste doesn't jive with chinese cooking
>>
>>7176354

they were probably thinking EVOO which can have a smoke point well under 400. If it was straight from the press then it could be as low as 320. easily one of the lowest smoke points of typical cooking oils.

on the other hand the whole point of a wok (most of the time) is very high heat use. not to mention that the flavor of EVOO would be a serious clash with most "asian" dishes.

On the other hand refined or "light" olive oil has a much higher smoke point and no appreciable flavor so that would probably work fine.
>>
Do open up pomegranates in a bowl full of water.
>>
>>7176362
>>7176364
>EVOO
What is this meme?
>>
Don't store tomatoes in the refrigerator
>>
>>7176298
>Not him, but that's kind of the point of soup, yeah...

Not every soup has to have the texture of babyfood anon. He said he was using large cuts of onions and potatoes. That implies that he wants to keep their texture. If the goal was to make a pureed or smooth soup then it would make a lot more sense to cut the veggies into smaller pieces instead.
>>
>>7176364
>implying you can't cook non Asian dishes in a wok.

Fuck off. Are you suggesting I can't use my dutch oven to cook mashed potatoes?
>>
>>7176375

It's not a meme. It's an abbreviation for extra-virgin olive oil.
>>
Don't disobey Chef Ramsay
>>
>>7176385
Of course you can use a wok for different things. But I'm not sure why you would want to.

If you want to deep-fry something a wok works OK, but a western style pot lets you fry more food with less oil because its shape is more optimal.

You could steam something in a wok, but that has the same disadvantage as described above.

The shape of a wok is optimized for stir-fry. It's really good for that. Unless you're limited to owning only one cooking vessel I'm not really sure why you would choose to use a wok for anything other than a stir fry.
>>
Some of you guys are okay.

Don't eat the clam chowder tomorrow.
>>
>>7176395
Dude you can cook plenty of cool things in a wok not associated with Asia. It's just a different style of cooking.
>>
>>7176370
Just watched that episode an hour ago
>>
>>7176423
so smart
>>
don't shit in meals.
>>
>>7176415

So give us an example of a dish that you would choose a wok for that's not a stir-fry or a variation thereof. Then explain why you think a wok is best for that dish as opposed to a different pot/pan/etc.
>>
>>7176567
making eggs is one. you have much better heat control with a wok.
>>
>>7176567
I didn't say it wouldn't be stir fry, I just said it wouldn't be Asian necessarily.

I could use olive oil in a wok to cook jerk chicken.
>>
>>7176567
beef wellington
>>
Don't put piping hot food in a blender
>>
Don't put garlic or chile flakes first.
>>
A mandolin will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>7176651
Not something I do or have ever taken a position on. But, I am curious as to what goes wrong with hot food in a blender? Is it because colder food is less flexible and chops/blends better?
>>
>>7176311
>due and do
>homophonic
>murica
>>
File: Capturee.png (17KB, 574x184px) Image search: [Google]
Capturee.png
17KB, 574x184px
>>7176728
get fucked commie
>>
>>7176716
When you blend the food and it starts to spin, the air inside heats up rapidly and expands, usually leading to the top of the blender flying off.
>>
Don't put mayo on a ham salad sandwich
>>
>>7176735
>.com
>>
Don't get crumbs in the butter you fucking bastards.
>>
>>7178518
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>7178518
Easily solved by taking the cap thing out of the top of the blender and using a folded towel on top. It lets the hot air escape while blending so the top doesn't come flying off when blending hit liquids.
>>
>>7178878
Oh god, this
>>
>>7178875
>>7176735
>homo
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.