[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /slav/ here? I'm from a russian family and I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 17

File: 1439664301372.jpg (63KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
1439664301372.jpg
63KB, 800x535px
Who /slav/ here? I'm from a russian family and I can't stand my country's food. Ceлeдкa пoд шyбoй, хoлoдeтc, etc. make me nauseous just by looking at it. I used to think nobody under the age of 60 actually enjoyed this stuff, but I've seen posts every once in a while that suggest otherwise. So my question to my slavic brothers is: why do you eat this shit? Do you honestly like it? It's not soviet times anymore, so it's not like you have no other choice for dining. If I made a list of cuisine that was most pleasing, Russia's wouldn't even make the list. I'm not trolling or baiting, I'm legitimately trying to grasp your mindset. Please, explain the appeal to me if you can.
>>
what don't you like? i'm american but i love borscht, pickled veg, sour cream, and i'm looking for a place to buy kvass from.
>>
>>7174444
Wish I could marry that...
>>
>>7174469
Borscht is alright. I love it with tons of garlic, but it's still not something I'd devour in a heartbeat, you know? It's probably way down below in the hundreds on the list of foods I'd happily eat. I think the russian/soviet way of preparing fish is a big part of why I was so hesitant to eat it. Seriously, I refused to eat any kind of seafood until I was like 13. Pickles are tasty, I prefer sweet to sour though. And I welcome cmetana in a bowl of chili.
>>7174472
>tfw no tomboy slav gf
>>
>>7174496
>tfw no tomboy slav gf
Why go on living?
>>
>>7174496
russian food seems simple and hearty, like food that most people would prepare at home. compared to other things that take more specialized equipment, ingredients, and preparations, maybe it just seems boring to you because of this. try combining another cuisine with russian food. sometimes i add indian spices and use indian cooking techniques combined with italian food.
>>
My family is from Ukraine, but I was born here in America a year after they immigrated here. I was raised on russian food mostly though. My favorite shit is all pickled everything. Pickled tomatoes, pickled watermelon, etc. I also love all the salads like olivier, etc. I'm not a fan of shuba either, but my mom loves it. Homemade cholodetz is okay, store bought is usually shit though. They key with most russian food is that its best homemade. Every cuisine has its shit food and its good food. Like shuba might not be the best, but I love pelmeni and vareniki. Borscht is okay if you don't overcook the grated beats and cabbage. If you overcook it it turns into mush, but when its still has a little bit of a crunch to it then its perfect.
>>
File: 1385852134820.jpg (64KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1385852134820.jpg
64KB, 604x604px
>>7174569
>sometimes i add indian spices and use indian cooking techniques combined with italian food.
Interesting, Indian food and Italian food are good to me as is. Got any examples/inspo?
>>7174575
Posting another gopnik qt in hopes of attracting more posts.
>>
>>7174622
i made a pink sauce with tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, romano cheese, and heavy cream but added cumin, coriander and a pinch of nutmeg to the onion and garlic mixture as it was being sauteed.
>>
>>7174444
you're a little bitch
I not only like it, I love it, especially around this time of year

holodets is probably the only thing I don't like, but besides that

shuba
olivier
crabavniy salad
chechnotchniy salad

it's not new years without it
>>
>>7174652
>you're a little bitch
pls no bully ;_;
>it's not new years without it
Same with my family, Nobody eats it but the grandparents though.
>>
File: 5962.jpg (19KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
5962.jpg
19KB, 400x320px
>>7174444
My girlfriend is Russian and I love it when she takes me to the Russian grocery store here in Miami.

My favorite treat it pouring some of this into my mouth every once in a while.

Russian food is pretty good desu
>>
>>7174641
sounds awful
>>
>>7174689
best
>>
>>7174689
Is that just high fat milk?
>>
File: russian honey cakes.jpg (62KB, 560x426px) Image search: [Google]
russian honey cakes.jpg
62KB, 560x426px
>>7174689
OP here, what Russian food is your favorite? I gotta ask because as somebody raised in a mostly Russian environment it's really strange to me that anything would appeal to an outsider. Napoleon and other deserts (pic related) aren't too bad, but if I had a choice between them and something else, I'd likely take option b.
>>
>>7174444
How could that be if slavs don't even live as long as 60 lmao
>>
>>7174444
I'd have sex with her, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>7174707
I don't really know the names of too many foods that well so I'll try my best to spell them. Just some stuff I like: pirozhki with mushrooms and beef, syrniki, kebabs (my girlfriend's mom is tajik and those are supposedly popular there), there's this awesome dish that has beef chunks with some sauce all over it, mashed potatos, blinchiki with tovorog inside, then I take that blinchiki and pour some of that russian condensed milk I post a pic of earlier or dip it in verenya.
>>
>>7174853
Syniki are so fucking good. I almost want to try making them myself because the last place I found them was some little Russian shop in Los Angeles and I live nowhere near there.
>>
>>7174779
>her
m8...
>>
File: images-1.jpg (24KB, 468x314px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
24KB, 468x314px
>>7174444
/Macedonian/ here, whatever that means.
I used to hate tafche grafche or however you spell it but enjoy it now. Moussaka I still am sick of. It's mostly poor people food hence why it's easy to get sick of it.

Will never get sick of anything to do with red bell peppers. Stuffed red bell peppers are my favourite. And pic related. (Sarma)
>>
>>7174444
>I'm from a russian family and I can't stand my country's food

you're not russian then, faggot diaspora.
>>
File: Tulumba.jpg (26KB, 500x233px) Image search: [Google]
Tulumba.jpg
26KB, 500x233px
>>7174869
Forgot - Tulumba is my favourite dessert

Mum makes all these weird un-Western food so I wonder what of it is actually Macedonian/etc and what was something she got off Better Homes and Gardens in the 90s
>>
>>7174853
>pirozhki with mushrooms and beef
not a fan desu
>syrniki
okay, my babushka make these from cottage cheese every so often, but they're just okay. I'd rather have straight up cottage cheese mixed with fruit desu
>kebabs
mudslimes do kebab better, imo. I've been to tons of russian gatherings and their kebab is always chicken, tomatoes. and onions.
> beef chunks with some sauce all over it
Beef Stroganoff? I'll admit that Stoganoff is pretty based. Very filling and hearty desu.
>blinchiki with tvorog inside
See my comment about tvorog above. If you like it though, more power to you, тoвapищ.
>>7174872
чтo я мoгy cдeлaть, бaбyшкa и дeдyшкa любил мeня cлишкoм мнoгo чтoбы пoдтoлкнyть этo дepьмo в мoe гopлo.
>>
File: BbZ2rOWIgAA8rGo.jpg-large.jpg (156KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
BbZ2rOWIgAA8rGo.jpg-large.jpg
156KB, 1024x1820px
beef strokeacock
>>
>>7174869
Is this Macedonian moussaka or actual non slav moussaka?
>>
File: combo.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
combo.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>7174444
Nice trips
Polish food is pretty based, it's like Russian food but actually palatable :D :D: D
>>
>>7174869
My fucking nigger. /croatian/ here, I love my country's food and I love all stuff you listed. Shit I even made a poor lazy version of tavche gravche for the last /ck/ challenge and it won the round.
Though I think Macedonian cuisine isn't really as bland as russian/polish/ukraininan because of the turkish influence through history. Croatian even less because Italy and central Europe. Might do a sarma cook along thread these days, cheers.
>>
>>7174616
picled watermelons are pretty unusual for slavs, but yeah, pickled things are delicious.Pickled pepper is my favorite.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (26KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
26KB, 470x313px
>>7174991
Not sure what is a Non-slav moussaka
Ours is made in a ceramic oven proof bowl, with cooked ground beef/onion/tomato on the bottom layered with sliced potatoes or eggplant and topped with egg mixed with grated cheese. No pastry like the pie shop Shepherds pie, which I think is what moussaka translates to
Though looking at pics of them in Google images I actually feel like eating some now

>>7175143
It makes a lot of sense now, a lot of the Euro food my parents have happen to be Croatian..
Does your family use Vegeta on everything too?
Will keep an eye out for your sarma thread! I'm keen on seeing how you do it.
>>
>>7175396
>vegeta
No because we can cook. Vegeta is usually used by old ladies/housewives whose food is very bland to add taste. It's ok in very small amounts, but it's easy to go overboard with it.
>>
File: 4c28958fbfaed72181[1].jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4c28958fbfaed72181[1].jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>Not admiring the slavic pork meatballs braised in carrot and sour cream sauce with beetroot salad and mashed potatoes done in milk and butter and dill.
SUPERIOR
U
P
E
R
I
O
R
>>
>>7174692
why does it sound awful? i thought it was pretty good and other people who ate it told me the same. it's not much different from an indian "butter" sauce.
>>
>>7174886
Both this and sarma is straight up Turkish, names are Turkish as well. At least that's where you guys got it from. You can't say stuffed cabbages belong to a nation, that shit is pretty straightforward.

Also Turkish prefer grape leaves.
>>
File: blini.jpg (43KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
blini.jpg
43KB, 550x366px
>>7174444
not enjoying a nice blini with salmon sour cream and caviar.
>>
Who /tatarmasterrace/ here? I really love tatar and bashkir cuisine.
>>
>>7175662
Just so you know, those aren't blini, those are olad'yi. Olad'yi are thicker and smaller, blini are flat and wide (think crepes).
>>
Where can I learn about the basics of Slavic cuisine?
>>
Can you be pescatarian (no land animals) easily enough in Russia? Most recipes I saw online required meat.
>>
>>7174926
thumbnail looks like a log of shit
>>
>>7176037
probably
>>
>>7175980
1. Boil some cabbage and/or potato to death
2. Add some unidentifiable meat or half-rotten fish
3. Boil for five more hours
4. Serve with hard bread
>>
File: 1385039973230.jpg (91KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1385039973230.jpg
91KB, 480x640px
Who /strogonoff/ here?
>>
File: 1446742938001.png (7KB, 283x459px) Image search: [Google]
1446742938001.png
7KB, 283x459px
Huge slavaboo here. I've made schi and borsch a few times, plus pelmeni once. I'm currently waiting for my first patch of kvass to mature a bit.
>>
File: SiberianPelmsni.jpg (67KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
SiberianPelmsni.jpg
67KB, 736x981px
>>7174444

Pelmeni are amazing, no idea what the fuck you're on about. So is rabbit stew, braised beef... pork stew... soups... fuck, there are TONS of amazing Russian foods.
>>
>>7175088

Went to Krakow this time last year, Polish food is based as fuck.
>>
File: 1375039207205.jpg (73KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
1375039207205.jpg
73KB, 500x663px
Poles make the best sausages.
>>
Why is Russian cuisine so bare bones compared to other cuisines? Any time anyone talks about it they namedrop the same 5 or so dishes.
>>
File: 405.png (137KB, 1007x1610px) Image search: [Google]
405.png
137KB, 1007x1610px
>>7176307

Don't forget about prostitutes...and that get.
>>
>>7176325

cold climate = not a lot of things grow there so the food is pretty bland. Same with a lot of northern European cuisines.
>>
>>7176133
Up close it looks like a mummified grasshopper
>>
>>7174707
Not that guy but I dated a Russian girl who was raised there until 12; her father was a Russian jew and he made a family recipe that was duck stuffed with apples and a bunch of spices on top of potatoes. It is still one of the best things I've ever eaten.

This was years ago and my family didn't really eat much foreign food except takeout Chinese so everything I ate while at her place was exotic. Russian tea is fantastic though.
>>
File: 1386626427853.jpg (125KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
1386626427853.jpg
125KB, 466x700px
>>7176331
Scandinavia is particularly guilty of this. Their cooking tier is beyond autistic and most of their traditional dishes taste and smell like something that has been dead for more than a week. They would probably starve to death without potatoes, like the Irish, and this taking in account that potatoes came from South America.
>>
>>7174469

>buying kvas
>>
>>7177499
yeah i know, but i want to know what it tastes like before i attempt to make my own
>>
>>7174444
Pljeskavica is breddy guy bro
>>
>>7176133
Hey! I made this earlier
>>
>>7175088
This it takes the good things from Russia and the good things from west and makes delicious hearty food. Best sausage and cold cuts too. Poland is my #2 after France in tasty food
>>
>>7177508
just go to a european market type store
>>
>>7176037
Yeah Russians have a million ways of prep ring fish. Not to sound cliche but pickled herring with onions and tomatoes is the mother fucking shit.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.