[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American Food? The Genesis. Originality.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: great-american-menu.jpg (24KB, 445x250px) Image search: [Google]
great-american-menu.jpg
24KB, 445x250px
What is American cuisine? Is there such a thing? Is American cuisine just various adaptations of the immigrant food? Is there anything that is uniquely American. Newfags fuck off. Just joking. Top of the morning to yall.
>>
>>7172923
yes
>>
>>7172923
Fortune cookies are American. Marc Summers taught me that.
>>
>>7172923
Southern cooking (biscuits and gravy, okra, corn, chicken fried steak, etc.) are pretty American, as well as American styled chili and BBQ. Chicago deep dish pizza as well.

Creole food is pretty American too, as well as anything with corn or blueberries in it since those were native to North America.
>>
File: 5.jpg (10KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
10KB, 243x207px
>Chicago is represented by deep dish pizza rather than Italian beefs or even the Chicago style hot dog

Just kill me now. It was a meme and inside joke that we perpetuated too far, and now tourists love it. Fuck.
>>
>>7173056
>Southern cooking
Derived from African slaves
>chili
Derived from European stews
>BBQ
Derived from slaves again
>deep dish pizza
A combination of a pizza and a lasagna, both Italian

With that being said, what makes American cuisine so great is the fact that it's all just another country's food, but tuned for the American pallet(Saltier, sweeter, cheesier, saucier, etc.).
>>
>>7173132

And Burgers?
>>
>>7172923
New York should be Buffalo wings
>>
>>7173132
Ok I've seen big ass debates over southern food
What it all comes down to is the slaves where not eating all of those foods in Africa prepared in the exact same way. And even if slaves did invent some dishes or styles of preparation while in America the dish is American not African. Otherwise you'd have to admit deep dish Chicago pizza is authentic Italian.

Also BBQ was done by native Americans not slaves
>>
>>7173132

Southern cooking is English/Scottish and French. Slaves mimicked what their masters ate and used sub-par ingredients to make it. Even something as simple as fried chicken (as we know it) was developed by Scottish immigrants. Wikipedia for citation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken

Apparently the Scots have been deep frying chicken since the middle ages. Weird. No wonder deep fried shit is so popular there it's in their blood.

BBQ sauce contained too much spice and sugar. Slaves didn't have access to these things. Pirates would steal sugar and tobacco over gold when plundering ships because the cargo was often times worth significantly more than the shippy's jewels. The term "worth your weight in salt" refers to a time when certain societies valued salt over gold, or silver...or gems...

Slaves brought over West African traditions which melded in with SOME southern cultures to some extent. New Orleans being a beacon for African and French culture. The common misconception that Creole or Cajun people were black is retarded though. They refer to French people either being born abroad or in the States. Even within the depraved French colonies existed a caste lime system where American born French were looked down upon by their own blood. Weird I know.
>>
>>7173132
Alrighty then. If you eat anything that uses

>Pumpkin
>Corn
>Maize
>Sunflower Seeds
>Tomatoes
>Blueberries
>Huckleberries
>Black Raspberries
>Pecans
>Squash
>Ginseng
>Sage
>Concord Grapes
>Black Cherries
>Prickly Pears
>Jerusalem Artichokes
>Southern Crabapples
>Mayapples

Then it came from the USA 90% of the time.
>>
>>7173132
>With that being said, what makes American cuisine so great is the fact that it's all just another country's food

That's what ALL food is, anon.

Tomatoes, potatoes, chili peppers are all examples of foods that came from the America's, were exported, and eventually became associated with a variety of different cuisines.

Somebody travels, eats some shit, likes it, and brings it back. Hence the spice trade, the coffee trade, etc...
>>
>>7173132
>I am clueless but will post my bullshit anyway
>>
>>7173174
Germany
>>7173187
I said derived from African slaves, not slaves in Africa.
And to be fair, meat slow cooked over a fire is a pretty easy concept to come up with. Most primitive cultures probably developed the idea.
>>7173267
An ingredient is not the same thing as a meal.
>>
>>7173358
OP was about the US, not America in general.
>>
For the record OP is from Louisiana
>>
>it's a hurrrr amerifats have no cuisine thread
>>
>>7173368
But your still wrong despite some similarities between traditional African cuisine and southern cuisine many of the staples of souther cuisine have European parallels and where also cooked by whites.
And given racism whites didn't go to the slaves for cooking advice.
Also if Africans invented the majority of souther cusine what did whites eat while they still considered Africans and everything they did to be sub human?
>>
>>7173383
>what did whites eat while they still considered Africans and everything they did to be sub human?
Whatever their slaves cooked for them.
>>
OP's lady friend asked (genuinely, not derisively) what was American cuisine.
>>
>>7173386
But do you think they told their slaves just to cook any old thing they knew how to cook? Also what about the vast majority of whites who didn't own slaves numb nuts
>>
>>7173407
>But do you think they told their slaves just to cook any old thing they knew how to cook?
Yes
>Also what about the vast majority of whites who didn't own slaves numb nuts
Probably ate whatever they brought over from Europe.
>>
>>7173391
Tell the bitch to look it up on Wikipedia
>>
>>7173132
>Derived from African slaves
Yeah Collards,fried chicken, and cornbread are staples of authentic African cuisine. I know I've had it there many times.
>BBQ derived from slaves
Early BBQ can be traced back to ancient China. Not sure how much BBQ sauce was in Africa a the time. Slaves were American btw.

Great American invention: Spam.
>>
>>7173412
So then all southern food should have identical parallels in African foods right?
Cause slaves cooking for themselves did not have access to a wide range of ingredients and if you did work as a cook you don't decide to expirment when it comes time to make dinner for your master.
Also then everything we consider southern food would have been a blacks only thing until about the 1960's/70's cause prior to that any self respecting white American would consider it nigger slop
>>
Well anon I would have told her to wiki it but she is busy making a sandwich whilst sucking on my dick.... it feels great
>>
>>7173427

>authentic African food
>cornbread
>corn
>native exclusively to the Americas
>African though
>>
>>7173267

Pretty much

Europeans do this weird thing where they jump through insane amount of hoops to delegitimize something as American

Like, "This isn't American because a caveman did it once"
>>
>>7173209

>Pirates would steal sugar and tobacco over gold when plundering ships because the cargo was often times worth significantly more than the shippy's jewels. The term "worth your weight in salt" refers to a time when certain societies valued salt over gold, or silver...or gems...

Thanks for posting this. Learned something new today.
>>
>>7173451
sarcasm
a
r
c
a
s
m
.exe
>>
>>7173468

>I'm not a retard, I'm just sarcastic
>>
>>7173375
>it's a hurrrr amerifats have no cuisine thread

This.

Why are non-Americans so insecure about themselves?
>>
>>7173472
It's pretty obvious dummy.
>>
>>7173066
>Hating chicago deep dish
Well, what should I expect from a frog-poster?
Chicago deep dish is actually unique, and is arguably much more flavorful than a regular pizza.
As for Italian Beef and "the Chicago Style" hot dog, those are just regular foods with shitty toppings that Chicagoan's added to pretend their food is unique.
>>
File: 38665322255.gif (877KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
38665322255.gif
877KB, 500x278px
>>7173503

>I'm not stupid, you are
>I'M NOT STUPID YOU ARE!!!
>>
>>7173530

Detroit style deepdish is significantly better.
>>
>>7173453

At times they seem to be obsessed with making sure that we don't have a culture.
>>
File: mmmmmm.jpg (963KB, 1100x583px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmmm.jpg
963KB, 1100x583px
>>7173532
It just looks like a normal pizza with a lot more bread. Probably tasty, but looks dry.
Deep dish is very moist, but isn't soggy because of the harder crust.
>>
>>7173132
All food is derived from somewhere. You're pretty ignorant.
>>
>>7173531
Don't you got a theater to jerk off in Pee Wee?
btw, your bike is fucking awesome
>>
>>7173209

Are you sure about that? The saying is "worth its weight in gold". The other saying of "worth his salt" goes back to Roman soldiers who were paid with salt as a form of currency.

I doubt pirates would leave gold or jewels behind because they are significantly less voluminous than trade goods.
>>
>>7173555
key to detroit style is buttering the fuck out of the crust to get a golden brown crispy edge
also, typically more cheese/sauce than a typical pizza but less than a chicago style

unfortunately, the only way to get a detroit style from a pizza place is typically from little ceasars
>>
File: 1411516487003.png (672KB, 1800x1259px) Image search: [Google]
1411516487003.png
672KB, 1800x1259px
>>7172923
>inb4 nebraska and kansas are flipped
>>
>>7173582

If you weren't a teenager you would remember the actual story behind Paul Reubens...who still tours and is still super successful.

Papparazzo snapped pictures of him entering, viewing then leaving an XXX movie theater. That's it. American Mom's raged because a children's TV show character had a libido. That's it.
>>
>>7173597
The fact that he looks and acts like a pedophile probably didn't help either
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-15-18-34-23.png (379KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-15-18-34-23.png
379KB, 1080x1920px
>>7173584

>are you sure about that.

Yes. Gold and silver were also smelted and minted with trademarks that had to be re-melted off...having to pay the forger of new bars/coins/jewelery a high cost to launder said stolen funds.
>>
>>7173600

He acts like a child, which is why he became famous. I liked his one man show a lot.
>>
>>7173592
This is so wrong
>>
>>7173548
Most European cultures were pretty much destroyed by WWI and WW2.

>>7173592
Why does everyone list fried green tomatoes for Alabama? Is it because of that damn movie? Our state foods are pecans, blackberries, and peaches.
>>
>>7173615
I enjoyed it as well, i love paul reubens.
He's still a creepy guy
>>
>>7173628
>peaches

u wot m8?
>>
>>7173597
>Papparazzi
>Florida
I guess. But you totally glossed over the bike compliment. Also your walking radio, and blue chair with the mouth are fucking tops.
>>
>>7173632

He's gay. That's why people dog piled on him...because AIDS was something you could catch via sneezing back in those times. I love him, he taught me how to make ice cream soup. Every single time I eat ice cream, I stir it up until it's like soft serve.
>>
>>7173645
And California's state fruit is the avocado, what's your point? Alabama's peach industry is localized.
>>
>>7173608

I'm a little skeptical of a source that includes such an obvious misspelling but it seems reasonable. However, that's not a source for "worth your weight in salt."

I'm not really familiar with commerce in this time period, was minted bullion only used in the transport of wealth back to the mother country or was it also a unit of exchange for commerce? If i wasn't used for commerce then they were essentially marked bills and I can accept that the wouldn't be taken as loot.
>>
>>7173743

On the other hand assuming reasonably pure gold rather than an alloy it wouldn't take much effort to mush rather soft gold and silver into a nondescript lump. There was a time when people would take 1960's 90% silver half dollars and make silver rings out them by hitting them with a spoon. Silver and gold bullion would be far softer and easier to shape.
>>
>>7173739
I think the point is that bama doesn't even crack the top 20% of states by peach production so if you are going to list ingredients as your state food they should probably make a lot of it

see iowa and corn, wisconsin and dairy, florida and oranges you get the point
>>
>>7173589
>unfortunately, the only way to get a detroit style from a pizza place is typically from little ceasars

Well, I guess that explains why I only see 'em in poorer neighborhoods...
>>
>>7173756
>if you are going to list ingredients as your state food they should probably make a lot of it
That's not what a state food is. It's something that:
>you can only readily find in that state
or
>that state makes the best of
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.