[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you flavor this without using salt, pepper, or lemon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

How do you flavor this without using salt, pepper, or lemon?

Also is there a trick to getting the skin off? I keep taking maybe 1/2 inch of fish off with it.
>>
Why no salt, pepper or lemon? And leave the skin on, it's delicious when you get a nice sear on it.
>>
File: IMG_4234.jpg (155KB, 867x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4234.jpg
155KB, 867x1200px
Everything here is wrong.
>>
>>7167958
>>7167967
>Why no salt, pepper or lemon?
I have no problem with any of that. I just want to try something new, and every recipe ever written uses 1 or more of those.

> And leave the skin on, it's delicious when you get a nice sear on it.
You eat the skin? Scales and all?
>>
>>7167958
>Why no salt, pepper or lemon?
Tried the combo on 1/4 of an egg and it wasn't good.
>>
>>7167987
what combo? raw egg or cooked egg on salmon?
>>
>>7167983
Well, salt and pepper are basically foundation flavors in just about every savory dish ever so I'd recommend leaving them in.

As for other flavors, pretty much anything else would work. Garlic, most fresh herbs, butter, crushed red pepper or cayenne, pretty much whatever you want.

And no, don't eat the scales obviously, just the skin.
>>
>>7167951
Try a sauce of maple syrup and soy sauce. Doesn't completely overtake the flavor of the salmon, surprisingly.
>>
Isn't a sweet soy glaze pretty popular on salmon? I've never made it but I know somebody knows what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7168017
>>7168014
12 seconds late
>>
>>7167994
they were trying to do a meme
>>
>>7168006
>>7168014
>>7168017
Thanks anons I'l give it a shot.
>>
Fry 5 min on one side, flip and repeat
coat with mayo to a 3 mm depth
broil for 5 min/ til golden brown
>>
The trick is the right knife. Most people don't use a thin flexible knife that makes skinning fish easy.
>>
>>7167983
Do you not descale your fish? Just run a knife along the opposite grain of the scales several times to remove them all.
>>
>>7167951
I did Balsamic vinegar, Espelette pepper flakes and cherrywood smoked salt just yesterday in the oven at 375 convection for 16 minutes and it came out perfect
>>
>>7167951
>getting the skin off

Why would you do that? It crisps up nice and is better than chicken skin IMO, family.
>>
>>7168006
>don't eat the scales
what the fug, it's one of the best parts when it's crispy.
>>
Well obviously you descale the fillet, numb nuts. Next, you'll need to get hold of what's called a filet knife- google it. And it will need to be SHARP.

Next, grab a hold of the tail end of the fillet, skin side down. Cover your first two fingers and thumb in salt, which will help you keep a grip on the fillet. Got a good strong grip on it? Ok.

Using your sharp as fuck filet knife, slice into the fillet as close to your thumb as possible, to get as much meat as possible. Start the slice at about the mid-point of the blade, so you have enough blade either side to cover the whole fillet and get the skin off in one stroke.

Once you have sliced down to the skin (taking care not to actually cut through it), you want to continue the cut by keeping the knife at a fairly steep angle to the table- maybe 30 degrees. Don't be afraid to use a little pressure to keep the blade as close to the skin as possible; the skin is tougher than you think, but it won't stand up to an actual slice rather than a scrape. Glide the knife along the skin, leading with the heel end of the knife so that the pointy end is angled towards you. Keep going until you have a lovely, skinless fillet.

Hope that helps, obviously you'll have to trial-and-error it a bit.
>>
>>7167951
Cure the salmon in vodka and brown sugar, then smoke it.

Sear the skin on a hot grill until crispy, then finish in the oven for ~10 min on high.

Serve with greek yoghurt and a herb mix (finely chopped parsely, corriander, red onion, olive oil, and roasted pine nuts)

enjoy. Goes great with potato rostis, puy lentils, carrot puree, those kind of things.
>>
>>7167994
ke/ck/
>>
>>7168609

sounds amazing familia
>>
>>7168609
sounds delicious.
I've cured salmon with white sugar and salt and dill for about 24-36 hours, then sliced it thin and ate it raw, that's also very tasty. For a dressing, mix honey, greek yoghurt and some mayonnaise together with some chopped dill and season it, and sprinkle it over the sliced cured salmon. Very delicious!
>>
>>7167951
poach it in bercy sauce
>>
>>7167951
>no skin
>no salt lemon or pepper

Want to know how I know you're underage anon?
>>
if i (descale first then) fry it, i eat the skin. it's delicious.
my preference though is to steam it, whereafter the skin comes off with ease.
i don't flavour it, it's delicious enough as it is.
nom.
>>
Why would you take the skin off?!
>>
>>7167951

Here's what you do op

Get yourself a bucket of cow shit
I know it sound strange but just follow me
Put a nice thick layer in your baking pan
Place salmon on top of the cow shit
pack more shit over the salmon like a salt crust
Bake that mother fucker at 400 for 30-40 min
Remove pan from the oven and dig out the salmon
Throw it the fuck away and eat the shit cause fish is fucking disgusting
>>
>>7169438
You are a pleb and you always will be
>>
DILL
I
L
L
>>
Since this is a salmon thread, how do you guys like your salmon cooked? I like it mid rare, myself.
>>
>>7168283
Enjoy choking and spending most of your evening coughing these fuckers up.
>>
>not eating the skin

Truly pleb.
>>
>>7167951
>How do you flavor this without using salt, pepper, or lemon?

marinade

herp
>>
>>7169631
I've eaten the skin both ways. If the skin is fried until crispy, it doesn't matter.
>>
douse it in sweet thai chili sauce

good af desu
>>
>>7167951
Leave the skin on and eat around it once it's on your plate. It falls away from the cooked fish really easily.

Soy sauce with a bit of ginger and cinnamon is good on salmon.
>>
>>7167951
Leave the skin on when cooking. It's not hard to avoid when eating if you don't like it.
>>
>>7169629
I can't eat fish that's not thoroughly cooked. Fuck that sushi shit.
I generally prefer it baked though. If it's a white fish, with some sort of cream sauce.
>>
I use hot sauce and lime zest/sauce with abit of honey and then bake it in foil.

Also any mixture or Italian herbs goes well

So do nectarines
>>
>>7168014
I made this without the garlic, and wrapped the fish in foil. The skin falls right off, and the sauce was great.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51283/maple-salmon/

I've also made crusted salmon with dijon and honey, also good.
>>
>>7167951
I still use salt, pepper and lemon but I also cut some slits in the skin and stuff some garlic and basil in there.
Fry in a pan for a bit and flip over to get a nice sear on top.
Tasty as fuck.
>>
>>7168014
>>7168017
>>7170670

not OP but just tried it and it's pretty fucking good
>>
>>7170187
>I am a child who doesn't like the taste of fish
>>
Soy sauce, garlic & lime.
>>
>>7167951
without salt by itself

i make some eel sauce and add in garlic and diced jalapenos

i slice an eggplant lengthwise and soak both eggplant and fish in sauce for about 30 minutes
cook both in a hot pan serve stacked with skin on top very light covering of the left over sauce and top with toasted pine nuts
>>
>>7167951
White pepper soy sauce ginger honey marinade then roast is bretty gud
>>
>>7169438
Jesus Christ, even at 13 I wasn't this pathetic and so completely devoid of a sense of humor. I think I hurt my back I cringed so hard.
>>
>>7172885
that's not even what he said

>trying to make yourself feel superior because you like fish
pathetic
>>
There's lots of sweet and sour glazes for salmon.

The one I usually do is brown sugar and Dijon mustard, with s%p, evoo, garlic and some cayenne, pan blackened or broiled and topped with caramelized onions or shallots.

It's become a regular meal at my house.

You can also just use Italian Dressing as a marinade. It's actually quite tasty.
>>
Practice on eggs. Fry an egg, quarter it, and season each quarter differently. After a few months you'll have tried over 1000 seasoning combinations, this WILL make you a spicemaster and great chef.
>>
>>7167951
meaux mustard with dijon
>>
>>7173243
Why eggs specifically?
>>
>>7172965
Fish is the superior protein though. If you don't like it you are in some way deficient, I'm sorry for you.
>>
>>7173482
New meme ignore it.
>>
>>7167951
I keep mine simple. Olive oil, salt+ pepper and a few 1/4 cloves of garlic over the top. Oven cook with foil on and the skin comes off easily when I lift it out.
>>
>>7168014
portions or ratios for sauce pls?
>>
>>7168283
scales are different than the skin
>>
>>7173482
also curious about this
>>
File: steam-salmon-in-black.jpg (50KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
steam-salmon-in-black.jpg
50KB, 550x412px
>>7167951
How much of a pleb can you be
>>
Lime and chilli powder
>>
My favorite way to cook salmon (or cod) - no salt, pepper or lemon:

Kasu:
-kasuzuke - the only place I've ever found this is the Japanese market, so I usually use miso paste
-mirin and/or sake
-brown sugar
-add a little bit of water to thin it out

Marinade the fish in it for a day or two. Scrape it off, broil for 4 to 5 minutes. You can re-use the marinade.
>>
File: Kirby's Fucking Pissed.jpg (80KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
Kirby's Fucking Pissed.jpg
80KB, 680x544px
>>7172885
No. You don't get to do that, sea-snacker. That's dead cow meat's thing.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.