[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Macaroni and cheese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: picSBpnoa.jpg (96KB, 555x407px) Image search: [Google]
picSBpnoa.jpg
96KB, 555x407px
How do you like your macaroni and cheese, /ck/?
What kind(s) of cheese do you like to use?
What other ingredients do you put into it?
Do you bake it, or just finish it on the stove?
etc.
Tell me all about your process.
>>
File: xD553Wg.jpg (144KB, 635x642px) Image search: [Google]
xD553Wg.jpg
144KB, 635x642px
>>7164183
The only way
>>
I usually brown and break up some hot italian sausage, saute some chopped onion and sliced mushrooms in the sausage grease with some red pepper and oregano, make a roux add milk for bechamel, then cheese for a mornay. For cheese, I always grate up some extra sharp cheddar and some of whatever other kind of cheese I have around or feel like using. Sometimes swiss or gouda, sometimes jack, sometimes parmesan and/or romano, sometimes asiago, whatever. I mix everything together with some cooked pasta of whatever kind I feel like using, dump it all in a casserole dish, top with some buttered panko and bake it until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
>>
File: HowBoutThat.webm (228KB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
HowBoutThat.webm
228KB, 720x360px
>>7164210
But why a cube though?
>>7164214
That sounds absolutely delightful. I should try some parmesan... I haven't explored much with different cheeses yet.
>>
>>7164183
Velveeta Shells and Cheese with ham chunks and broccoli mixed in.
>>
>>7164183
I follow Alton Brown's recipe, which is pretty much the classic way to make baked mac and cheese. Roux, Bechamel, add cheese, mix in pasta, and into baking dish with cheese and panko butter topping.
I use sharp cheddar mostly, but also Swiss, pepper jack, Parmesan, and mixtures of whatever cheeses I have, they all work.
I love the results I get this way, but Id be open to other methods. Especially if its easier.
>>
blue box either alone or with tuna/chili/hotdog. Ketchup is also an option
>>
>>7164183
Macaroni and cheese is my culinary kryptonite. I've tried numerous times to make a good mornay and going through the rest of it, but it always comes out so meh. I honestly like boiled noodles with a shitload of cheese thrown in while it's hot more than when I try to make a proper mac n' cheese (or melty processed cheese hybrid)
>>
Elbow macaroni, 500g
Cheese, at least 500g up to 1kg, depending
Flour, 4-5tbsp
Butter, 4-5tbsp
Milk, 1L

Boil pasta to just under desired doneness then drain.
Pour out into a baking dish,
Shred/grate the cheese and add it to the pasta, tossing about to evenly distribute.
Cook flour and butter in a saucepan until it just comes together, then whisk in the milk to dissolve the flour paste.
Cook until smooth and thick, salt to taste and pour over the pasta/cheese mixture.
Stir about to evenly distribute and mix through.
Top with more shredded cheese and bake in a 180°C/350°F hot oven.

Variation:
For Swiss-style, add a bunch of caramelised onions to the flour/butter mixture before adding the milk. You may caramelise it yourself or buy it in the jar, whichever you prefer.
>>
I dislike creamy mac and cheese, though I still eat it because it's the most common. I prefer it baked.
>>
>>7164337
>I use sharp cheddar mostly, but also Swiss, pepper jack, Parmesan, and mixtures of whatever cheeses I have, they all work.

Man this thread got real American real quick
>>
buffalo chicken mac and cheese
>>
>>7165060
If he had said velveeta or kraft singles I'd agree. But you're obviously just a shitposter trying to start an argument for no reason.
>>
Rum & Cheese

1) Boil elbow macaroni al dente, strain, place back in pot
2) Add butter and cheese: mozzarella, havarti, gouda, aged black parmesan
3) Put in bowl
4) Serve
5) Add 1 shot of rum to final product
6) Light on fire
>>
>>7164337
I made AB's recipe
Fucking terrible. And I'm a believer in a lot of his shit.
Flavorless. Onions were a horrible decision.
All over it was a 1/10. Never again.
>>
Any advice on making nice creamy mac with a good bread crumb topping? I can get one or the other but never both.
>>
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/the-food-lab-fifteen-minute-stovetop-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe-food-lab-book-excerpt.html

this was fun to try but it made me shit a solid brick
>>
>>7165178
>this was fun to try but it made me shit a solid brick
did you eat any vegetables or anything with it?

i always have a vinegary salad, goes good with the fatty cheese sauce
>>
>>7164183
I'm so fucking done with mac and cheese. I've eaten hundreds of different recipes in hopes that it'll be good. It always looks good and smells good and I always want to eat it, but it always disappoints me.
>>
half a stick of butter
4 table spoons of flour
400ml of milk
a whole nutmeg
black pepper
salt
2 cups of rotini pasta
at least a pound of ungrated cheese. something strong tasting

butter and flour into the 12 inch saute pan, mix and cook over medium low heat until it stops feeling so floury in your mouth

add milk in 100ml amounts. thoroughly mixing before adding more

while adding milk having your pasta cooking in some salted water.

once all the milk is in. add in a little salt, 4 or 5 good cranks of black pepper on the finest setting, grind in about a third of a nutmeg

throw in freshly grated cheese in small handfuls. completely incorporate cheese before adding more. keep adding cheese until desired cheese flavor is achieved. if sauce gets too thick that is ok.

add in drained rotini. adding some reserved pasta water to thin out sauce.
>>
I can never get it to taste good when I make the sauce like a mornay, so I do it like alfredo with only butter, cream, and cheese.
>>
>>7165206
nah was too excited by the ridiculous cheesiness of the mac n cheese
>>
>>7164183
I make a typical mac and cheese starting with bechemel. I use a mix of 1/2 extra sharp white cheddar, 1/4 gouda, and 1/4 gruyere or emmenthal.

I usually just make normal mac and cheese, but sometimes I'll add in some bacon and chicken.

I typically coat the top with a mix of panko, parmesan, and spices then bake it.
>>
>>7165162
Just make creamy mac and cheese, put the bread crumb topping on, and the brown it with a torch or under a broiler. You'll get the nice browned topping without it getting dried out like it would in the oven.
>>
>>7166169
I've literally never had my mac and cheese get dried out in the oven when I bake it.
>>
>>7166202

I don't mean dried out like it's too dry, I just mean that when you bake it in the oven, some of the moisture evaporates and it ends up drier than if you had eaten it off the stovetop.
>>
>>7166235
Easily solved by making some extra sauce or using less pasta so it doesn't absorb as much of the moisture.
>>
>>7164214
>Swiss
Stop using swiss, gets an odd stringiness to it when it melts, unless of course you like that with your cream texture from the bechamel.
>>
>>7166288
I've never had an issue with the texture I get from using swiss, but I also don't generally use very much of it. I just add maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a cup for the flavor.
>>
File: mac-and-cheese-on-fork.jpg (1MB, 2348x1867px) Image search: [Google]
mac-and-cheese-on-fork.jpg
1MB, 2348x1867px
>>7164183
>>
>tfw my family made it with eggs instead of bechamel
>>
I make mine with Conchiglie, large ones. Any good recipes for making the sauce really think and cheesy?
>>
>>7167535
Make a bechamel, slowly add lots of cheese while whisking the everliving shit out of it.
>>
bechamel is plebeian

your sauce base should be condensed milk + very starchy pasta water
>>
Inebriated.
>>
i make a bechamel sauce, then let it cool for about 5 minutes before adding the cheese. i also mix in 1 tbsp or so of ground yellow mustard seed (powder, not the condiment) in with 1/4 cup of flour for the roux. sometimes saute minced onion in the butter before adding flour. use a strong, sharp cheddar.
>>
>>7164183
I add herbs and broccoli, onions or mushrooms.
I just boil the pasta, drain, add Gouda and/or mozzarella for cheese, herbs and fried extra ingredients and stir a lot.
>>
>cook shell pasta separately
>start a cream sauce, add cheese and cajun seasoning
>season and saute pasta with peppers and onions
>add just enough cheese sauce to coat pasta/pepper/onion mixture
>plate

So fucking good.
>>
>cook shell pasta only
>add melted velveeta
>>
>>7164183
I'm not an 8 year old or a nigger, so I don't eat mac n cheese.
>>
>>7170022
Life must suck for you brehh
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.