[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stock for Turkey and Sausage Gumbo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Whats up /ck/

Making turkey stock for gumbo. Anyone cook with homemade stock? It's the difference maker with a lot of dishes.

Don't throw away those bones after Thanksgiving meats! Stock is a way to eat like a king for pennies on the dollar.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7139039
Look how much it has reduced
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Ok so after much simmering, I have my gumbo magic.

Trying to decide which sausage to use..
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7139628
Apologies for the tilt.

So which sausage do I use? All 3?

/ck/ decides
>>
>>7139630
All three.
>>
I make stock at home alot.

With Turkey leftovers or Chicken scraps.

What I do is buy Split chicken breast meat on the bone.

I take off the skin and bone and separate the breast meat from the chicken tenderloin.

I use the chicken breast meat for whatever meals, and I use the tenderloins for fried chicken fingers.

Then I take the rib bones and freeze them, and when I have enough scraps I make a stock with them.

Also sometimes I take whole chickens and I rotisserie them on our rotisserie cooker and I use the meat for our dinners then I take the carcass and I add that to the stock pot also.

We have some large pots and I put them on low before bed and then when I wakeup 8 or 10 hours later I strain the stock and cool it.

Yea I use the turkey carcass also to make turkey stock.

We just ate turkey soup with real turkey stock and leftovers and its great.

I just make it really classic with noodles, celery, onion, carrot and herbs.

Home made stocks are ALOT better for you then store bought ones.

They have alot more dissolved collagen and this makes it look like Jelly when its cold.

Gelatinous stock is really good healthy stock. Its good for your joints.
>>
>>7139898
Alright here goes nothing
>>
File: BUTZBENDER.jpg (14KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
BUTZBENDER.jpg
14KB, 300x200px
I made stock with our bird carcass. We are making gumbo with it too. I don't like to use tasso in my gumbo but whatever works for you. We are over north of baton rouge.
>>
>>7140761
Why don't you like Tasso?
>>
I pretty much make all my own stocks. The only time I ever buy store bought broth is if I've totally run out and haven't had time to make more, but I think in the past year, I've only bought maybe three containers of store bought broth.
Anyway, in my freezer right now, I have a ton of turkey stock. I made a nice, long simmered stock before Thanksgiving, using turkey wings (which are cheap as fuck), and that gave me about a gallon of stock. Then, I have the rich, mega jellied stock leftover after cooking the bird as well. Plus I have about six pounds of beef bones in the freezer, that I need to make beef stock with this week, and since I'm roasting a chicken tomorrow, I'll be making some chicken stock as well. I only make fish and seafood stock as I need it, because it's more delicate and doesn't freeze as well as the others. Oh, and I have a duck in the freezer as well, so at some point I'll be making duck stock (and saving duck fat) as well.
Turkey stock is pretty much my all purpose stock, though, since it's rich enough for meat dishes, but also good in vegetable and poultry dishes as well, and I always have a ton of it.

Stock is one of the most worthwhile things to make from scratch, because it's simple and it's always better than store bought broth, always. Plus, I like to have unsalted stock, because I want to season my dishes to taste, without the extra from store bought.
>>
>>7139039
I love making stock, but I use a pressure cooker which reduces the time to just a couple of hours. First time I made stock, because my kitchen has shit ventilation, the walls were literally covered in condensation. It was on a very low simmer with the lid on, but it was still a real problem, with water running down the walls. Tasted pretty shit, too.

I usually use 4 carcasses, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, parsley, bay leaves and pepper corns. I also reduce the resulting liquid by about 2/3rds (this ensures it's pretty tasty for a gravy, without having to reduce it, but I can dilute it for a risotto, for instance). I then freeze it into cubes. Beats the shit out of store bought.
>>
>>7140944
I'm referring to chicken stock here, by the way.
>>
>>7140944
Just to clarify, the first time was using a regular stick pot, not a pressure cooker. The issues I faced were what promoted me to buy a pressure cooker. Also, Heston Blumenthal recommends pressure cookers for stock, so that's a pretty good endorsement.
>>
When I cook a turkey, I use its carcass to make a bunch of stock, strain, then reduce to 3/4 cup. I freeze in small portions.
>>
Anyone tried making stock in a pressure cooker?
>>
>>7140854
I love duck stock for gumbo.. Hnngh
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's how my gumbo looks so far, gonna simmer it for about 3-4 hrs
>>
>>7141008

Not necessary, unless you are in a hurry to have stock for some reason.

The only benefit you will get by using a pressure cooker is it will get done faster.
>>
>>7141008
I do it every time I cook a whole bird. Just throw the left over carcass in the pressure cooker and add cover about half way with water. I leave it under pressure for 40 minutes.

You would be amazed at just how much meat you can pick off a turkey/chicken carcass after it has been cooked like this.

I don't even add any vegetables. I just add the ones I want to whatever I cook with the stock.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.