[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question for you all you fags. Do you all use sugar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

File: suace.jpg (4KB, 120x90px) Image search: [Google]
suace.jpg
4KB, 120x90px
I have a question for you all you fags. Do you all use sugar when making a pasta sauce? Cause I do, and I got shit on by this qt Italian girl for it.
>>
>>7137362
Shave her mustache while she sleeps.
>>
Rarely. Depends on the sauce, really.
>>
I use a little sugar in a lot of dishes. The trick is just not to tell anyone.
>>
>>7137362

In tomato sauce? Yeah, quite often.
>>
If I'm making tomato sauce I put some in if it needs it. Depends on the quality of the tomatoes tbphwy.
>>
It all depends on the quality of the tomatoes. Tomatoes that are too acidic will need some sugar. Most recipes I see for tomato sauces and soups call for some quantity of sugar, even if it's just a little bit. I wouldn't use more than 1 tablespoon per 2 lbs of tomatoes.
I don't know if you've got a massive heirloom tomato market in your area, but Hunt's canned tomatoes seem to need it the least.
>>
That depends entirely on the tomatoes used to make the sauce. If the maters are too sour I add just enough sugar to cut the acidity, but never enough to make the sauce taste sweet.
>>
>>7137387
>>7137388
>>7137390
This is why I add sugar too, mostly cause I seem to always get some sour tomatoes so I add sugar to cut acidity. But I get treated like its sacrilege
>>
>>7137362

Never, I enjoy my sauces on the sharp acidic side. But I also never get heart burn from red sauce, sol its never been a problem for me.
>>
No. Tomatoes get sweet when you cook them down for a while.

But if you are in a hurry or have mediocre tomatoes it's not a bad idea. Italians are some of the worst about "any way other than how grandma did it is wrong"
>>
>>7137416

Funny things is, grandma most probably did exactly that and thought nothing about it.
>>
>>7137416
I'd be willing to bet that for every grandma who thinks a certain practice is sacrilege (e.g. adding a little bit of sugar to tomato sauces) there is another who thinks that it's just fine.
Hell, I bet you could find another Italian woman whose grandmother puts an egg in tomato sauces or some shit.
>>
>>7137388
Hubts canned tomatoes taste sweet to me
>>
>>7137362
I have never put sugar in mine. That just sounds wrong.
>>
Use orange or tangerine instead of sugar.
>>
>>7137425
Isn't that just carbonara sauce?
>>
>>7137362
Just a pinch
>>
Bit of balsamic, brown sugar and a pinch of bicarbonate usually.
>>
>>7137362
What is this tomato sauce for ants?
>>
>>7137362
>pasta sauce?

There are various sauces for pasta.
The one in that tiny ass thumbnail is TOMATO SAUCE.
>>
>>7137371
under rated post
>>
>>7137362
Tomato sauce? Never.
I however put a dash of molasse in my chili.
>>
File: 1442955756118.jpg (103KB, 442x737px) Image search: [Google]
1442955756118.jpg
103KB, 442x737px
>>7137416
To be serious, she literally called her grandma, had her grandma shit all over me too, recorded it and texted to me
>>
>>7137574

So? Tell her to post it somewhere. Or. It. Didn't. Happen.
>>
>>7137362
Fuck no.

Some people put sugar in damn near everything, though.
>>
My great grandma added sugar to her sauce if it's too acidic and so do I.
>>
Americans are so addicted to sugar they put it on pasta (which is already a SHITLOAD of starch aka sugar).
Jesus Christ, America.
Way to worship the Sugar Jew.
>>
>>7137362
A dash of sugar will make it better.
>>
>>7137748

So will a dash of heroin, doesn't mean you add it.
>>
>>7137776
>implying I don't
>>
>>7137362
Yes.

It's not traditional in any way, but I'm not usually making sauce for my family so I add a little sugar.
>>
never ever use sugar or vinegar in tomato sause
>>
It depends on how many generations the creater had lived in America. Italy was a poor country and sugar wasn't cheap so they wouldn't use it.

My great grandmother was the first to be born in America and she would slap you for suggesting sugar. Her son originally used no sugar, but when he started catering he started adding sugar for the American palate.

After him I am the only family member who enjoys cooking and I follow my great grandmother's recipie which is rich and hearty.

I do, however leave some of each batch in the pot and cook it a little longer with some sugar for when I cook for others. Usually about a gallons worth or so.
>>
>>7137362
No, but I make a chunkier, more savory sauce. I like to use fennel in mine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sugar in the sweeter style tomato sauce, especially with the less sweet tomatoes you get if you buy "fresh" (artificially early ripened ones) tomatoes from the store this time of year.
>>
>>7137407
Anyone who gets heartburn from tomato sauce is officially a pansy.
>>
>>7137574
Sounds like a keeper. I'm not being sarcastic, anyone willing to call their grandmother and have her shit on you about your cooking too is hilarious and worth keeping around.
>>
>>7137362
No, never
If you're doing it to kill the acidity use unsalted butter instead
>>
>>7139797
Why not just use baking soda.
>>
>>7139804
it tastes bad
>>
>>7139809
if it tasted bad, why would people use it in baking all of the time.
>>
>>7139812
So are you the one retard baiting all the threads, or is this just the trolling hour?
>>
>>7139812
for leavening, you might notice they use as little as possible

go taste some
>>
>>7139815
yeah so don't use a lot.

go drink vanilla extract
>>
>>7139823
It's retarded to use any amount of baking soda in tomato sauce. Your idea was bad and you should feel bad.
>>
Why not just toss in some basil instead? Gives the sauce some colour, gives it the sweetness, and gives it a fresher taste. I see no reason to add sugar when you could just add basil.
>>
>>7137362

>sugar in pasta sauce
Use honey instead, and you'll become 3-star hipster cool
>>
does her shit smell god?
>>
Not usually necessary. Depends on the type of tomato and ripeness, and other ingredients. But it's only a "if strictly necessary" thing, not an ingredient I put in automatically.
>>
>>7137362
Try grape jelly or jam..

If you do,use sugar go with brown
>>
>>7140411
I only use all natural, organic, non-processed, gmo-free, cruelty free, free trade, hand-fed, free range, carbon neutral, cage free, vegan, granulated, cane sugar in the raw that was hand harvested in a sustainable manner by an empowered pan-sexual native woman who lives off the grid in a self sustaining green home and uses her monthly blessing as paint to create art that she sells to fund her non-profit organization that prosecutes cis white males that have abused their privilege.
>>
>>7139951
>honey
>not using agave nectar for maximum hipster points
>>
>>7139804
Baking soda is key to making good cabbage.
>>
>>7137362
It depends on the tomatoes. Sometimes, you just don't get tomatoes that have enough natural sugar in them (whether fresh or canned) to add that slight sweetness tomato sauce needs. So, in those cases, I'll either add a little spoonful of brown sugar, or reduce some balsamic vinegar and add that, anyway, you get the idea.
>>
>>7140639
no it's not
>>
>>7140438
That's the best thing I've read all day.
>>
File: 1449028306012.jpg (52KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
1449028306012.jpg
52KB, 500x352px
>>7140438
>there are people who do this
>these people will still get steatohepatitis from all the fructose
>>
>>7140438
>not using open source sugar

pleb
>>
>>7137362
I put a pinch of baking soda.
>>
>>7140652
OK i'll rephrase. Baking soda is one of the key ingredients I use when making cabbage. The result is pleasing to my palette but others may disagree on its importance.
>>
>>7137362
just condescend to her. tell her she's right, but keep doing whatever the fuck you want.
>>
use splenda/aspartame instead
>>
>>7137362
Fuck Italians. Make your goddamned sauce however you want to make it. Italians are the worst kind of food snob.
>>
>>7140862
*Italians are the best kind of food snob.
They take pride in their countries cuisine and wines and try to preserve traditional recipes instead of bastardising them. Any Italians I know have a great knowledge about food and wine as well and will happily talk about it and share their knowledge.
>>
>>7140943
>no u

Nice way to prove the point.
>>
>>7140438
I just got off a long shitty shift at work and this made my day better. You're a hero.
>>
Yes it is.
>>
I hate sugar in pasta sauce. I live in Korea, and while they love pasta here the domestic sauces are SO FUCKING SWEET so I have to search out stuff from the West, or make my own (but tomatoes, fresh or canned, are outrageously expensive).
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.