[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey ck. what the fuck do i ask potential line and prep cooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1312929218300.jpg (10KB, 239x267px) Image search: [Google]
1312929218300.jpg
10KB, 239x267px
hey ck. what the fuck do i ask potential line and prep cooks during interviews? how do you weed out the bads? any red flags? my chef has peaced out and i've never done this shit before and i can only think of asking if they're dumb.
>>
>>7135677

>not the chef
>is interviewing people as incompetent as he is

Surely you work at a very high end establishment.
>>
>>7135680
i'm sous and up until now i just managed people that the chef brought in.

thanks for your help friend.
>>
>>7135687

As second in command interviewing people, talking to food distributors, wine/liquor/beer vendors and FoH staff should be a daily routine for you.

How small is the restaurant that you're working in that your Chef is capable of handling all of this on his own until now?

You must be retarded, so do this: trial by fire.

Most if not all of your menu items are probably common place items, stick them on the line, if they can't hack it...don't hire them.
>>
>>7135677
I don't work in a restaurant, but I have done some interviewing, so take this with a grain of salt.

you can start off by asking the basics. interviews are always better if they're more of a conversation than bullshit staged questions like "what is your biggest weakness."

ask about their last job, responsibilities there, relationship with other employees/bosses
ask about their goals, and how this job is going to help them eventually attain them
ask a couple more specific questions about technique/recipes, to gauge whether or not they're bullshitting

some more background on the restaurant/position requirements would probably be helpful... sorry if this wasn't.
>>
>>7135677
As long as they have experience i dont think it matters. all the kitchens I've worked in have hired pretty much anyone that can do the job. Drug Addicts, Felons, they don't really give a shit.
>>
>>7135693
>As second in command interviewing people, talking to food distributors, wine/liquor/beer vendors and FoH staff should be a daily routine for you.
>How small is the restaurant that you're working in that your Chef is capable of handling all of this on his own until now?

neither of those remarks have anything to do with my question. him, the owner and myself work with all of that shit together daily. i'm not sure how you came to that.

like i said, he left and i'm being asked to interview people to fill in gaps in our kitchen. i have no idea what to ask these people. i'm not sure why you're throwing shit my way.
>>
>>7135696
very helpful, actually. thanks.

>>7135698
trying to avoid people getting drunk in my kitchen or coming in stoned.
>>
>>7135705
Some people are just angry and sad.
Also
>I have no advice.
>>
> have you been arrested more than twice?
>do you hate people? I mean, really REALLY hate people?
>do you have any decorative swords hanging on your bedroom wall?
>are you a vegan?
>Do you listen to ICP?

yes to any of these and INTO THE TRASH IT GOES
>>
>>7135677
here's one
https://munchies.vice.com/articles/drunk-cooks-nearly-destroyed-my-restaurant
>>
How did you make sous without ever being around for the hiring process?

I've watched that shit go down dozens of times just working the line.

First you look at resumes, and toss out 90% of them when they don't have any experience.

When someone actually comes in for an interview you talk to them, ask them about their experience, and if they don't seem completely insane you give them a chance.

The biggest issue hiring cooks that have experience is determining whether or not you and the rest of the kitchen will be able to actually work with them.

Also, don't even bother trying to hire overqualified people (i.e. former chefs applying for line positions); in my experience they'll have giant fucking egos and try to run the kitchen, which will undermine you, the chef, and fuck up the team dynamic, however good they might otherwise be.
>>
>>7135677

your not pig head boy are you?

because if your chef left your joint is fucked, m8, exit strategy pronto
>>
>>7135889
>How did you make sous without ever being around for the hiring process?
It was just something the owner, manager and chef preferred to do themselves while I ran boh. I never questioned it, always too busy to be invited into the inner circle of the hiring process. I trained the new cooks to the best of my ability.

I've only been sous since August, I'm still very new to this.

Thanks for all the replies, guys, they've definitely helped.
>>
>>7135705

I was saying your Chef left you in charge and you're obviously negligent and incompetent... so... you don't belong doing what you're currently doing.

Go back to your cubicle.
>>
Well, according to Bobby Flay he just says "make me an omelet" to the potential line cooks and if they can't do it he kicks them to the curb.
>>
>>7135705

You don't ask them anything you fucktard. The kitchen is about performance and all the interview questions in the world don't mean a fucking thing if they can't hack it in the kitchen.
>>
>>7135985
Not op here, usually I just lurk but can I say from the bottom of my heart that you are being a flaming fucking Faggot with this shit, your faggotry is so off the charts with a statement like that I actually took the time to respond to your bullshit from my phone, leave op alone, stop being a pretentious piece of shit and mold yourself into a person who people like because from that statement alone I gathered you are a miserable son of a bitch to be around. Go to hell you fucking Faggot.
>>
>>7135985
This dude is either a giant flaming faggot, or a common austrailian.
>>
>>7136341
>do you have any work experience
>are you prone to high stress situations
>are you retarded

It's pretty easy to filter out the unhackable via interview you dumb faggot.
>>
>>7136437
You're a dumb cum loving cunt aren't you?
Only a pencil pushing faggot cubicle cunt would think questions are any use.
Get them to make an omelet, takes 5 minutes and shows more than any boipussy licking faggot can ever learn by asking cum questions.
>>
>>7135693
>trial by fire
this

Interviews what the fuck?
>>
>>7136382
If you were here, in person, I would stand up and fuckin applaud you.
>>
>>7135985
you're a fucking retard
>>
>>7136455
>cum questions
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.