[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna make a philly, but I don't have a meat slicer or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: philly.jpg (115KB, 600x358px) Image search: [Google]
philly.jpg
115KB, 600x358px
I wanna make a philly, but I don't have a meat slicer or a knife sharp enough to cut the steak into really fucking thin strips.

Wat do.
>>
>>7135316
freeze the meat then use a cheese slicer
>>
>>7135322
Cheese slicer??

Other than that, this guy is right. Put the beef in the freezer for 30 minutes, it'll be almost frozen and very firm. You'll be able to slice it into very thin slithers, provided your knife is reasonably sharp.
>>
>>7135322
That's stupid. The meat is already over cooked as it is. If you freeze it, then thaw it, it will need to be reheated again to melt the cheese thereby cooking it again.

There must be another way. Why not shred it with forks?
>>
>>7135334
You freeze it and slice it when it's raw ya dingus
>>
>>7135343
so that means it cooks to quickly when you fry it?
>>
>ground beef
>>
>>7135474

But that's not ground beef anon..
>>
>>7135316
Get a portion of sirloin ground up and cook it. It'd be a decent option. Another option is finding a place to sharpen your knife for slicing the steak.
>>
>>7135322
>>7135343
>not slicing meat when it is close to freezing every time
>>
File: steak-umm.jpg (49KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
steak-umm.jpg
49KB, 400x249px
>>7135316
Get steak-umms you lazy shit.
>>
>>7136725
Steak-umms are absolutely horrible. Steak-eze on the other hand is perfect.
>>
>>7135316
Some places sell thinly sliced ribeye, or maybe that's just because I'm around Philly.
Otherwise yeah put it in the freeze for a little bit then you can slice it thinly.
Also don't call it a Philly that sounds retarded. It's just called a cheesesteak.
>>
>>7135316
Pound it out thin with your fists and impotent rage.
>>
>>7135316
Go to a butcher and ask them to thinly slice some ribeye for you.
>>
A Philly cheese steak is one of those things you're better off just buying form a good place. Of course you can do it at home, but you'll never get it as good as a restaurant that uses quality ingredients and good technique.
Americas Test Kitchen has a good recipe for doing it at home, if you're willing to do what it takes.
>>
>>7137592
>you'll never get it as good as a restaurant that uses quality ingredients and good technique.
I can't help but feel that people who say things like this are simply very bad at cooking.
>>
>>7135322
Checked
>>
>>7137596
Its not that. The issue is the best places for Philly cheese steak use a giant rotating spit of meat that's slow roasted and finely shaved onto a large hot griddle where it is chopped and tossed until the edges get crispy. These processes are not repeatable in a home kitchen, so the result will be inferior.
The years of experience and technique by expert chefs ensure a product that can not be matched by the home cook. The techniques used do not scale down to skillet cooking, I'm not saying it cant be done, its just in a different class, and the difficulty is not worth the effort when there is a quality cheese steak shop nearby that can trump your home cooking in categories of taste, price, and convenience.
>>
>>7135327
>slithers
>>
>>7135343
>that one autistic kid who always says ya dingus on /ck
>>
>>7137591
I always use round. If I'm going to drown it in cheese and onions why waste a nicer cut?
>>
>>7137624
Suppose you'd get close with a slow cooked BBQ roast
>>
>>7135467
what in the hell are you even talking about? You freeze it because it slices easier. You freeze it raw. You slice it raw. Then you can thaw it and cook it while it is super thin for the sandwich. What do you not understand here?
>>
>>7137576
I can get it in South Carolina and I do when I make these about 4 times a year. It's about $8 a pound and sliced paper thin and fresh as the bees knees.Slightly over priced for what it is but it's worth it to not have to cut my own up and have all different thicknesses. Also only one grocer sells it and that is Food Lion. None of the others around here do.
>>
>>7138446
Because it's delicious and the authentic meat to use in a philly cheesesteak.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.