[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memes and hate aside is going vegan/vegetarian cheaper than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: 1449153758491.gif (2MB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
1449153758491.gif
2MB, 460x300px
memes and hate aside is going vegan/vegetarian cheaper than being an omnivore?
>>
>>7134081
Depends on what kind of vegetarian. If you plan to legitimately cook only whole foods, you might save some money. If you "don't have time to cook" or other things and are therefore going to spend your money on organic veg microwave meals (most vegetarians,) then you will probably spend more.
Source:Vegetarian for 5 years
Best of luck
>>
File: plant_based_protein_sources.png (319KB, 600x1022px) Image search: [Google]
plant_based_protein_sources.png
319KB, 600x1022px
If you stick to cheap, bulk-buy staples like rice, grains, legumes, potatoes etc. then it can be cheap and very much affordable.
If you make the mistake of trying to replace animal products with vegan alternatives (meat substitutes, vegan ice cream and so forth) it'll bleed you dry.
>>
File: calcium.jpg (92KB, 409x418px) Image search: [Google]
calcium.jpg
92KB, 409x418px
Will dump some infographs
>>
File: Best-Plant-Based-Iron-Sources.jpg (116KB, 436x700px) Image search: [Google]
Best-Plant-Based-Iron-Sources.jpg
116KB, 436x700px
>>
File: PBD-Food-Plate.jpg (1MB, 1950x1393px) Image search: [Google]
PBD-Food-Plate.jpg
1MB, 1950x1393px
>>
>>7134081
I'm married to a vegetarian (ovo/lacto), and we rarely eat out or get take-in.

My grocery bill for us both is literally what I used to pay for myself alone when I was buying meat and fish.

Buying dry beans and soaking them is so cheap as to be borderline free protein.
>>
File: 24.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>>7134139
does soaking them activate them?
>>
>>7134081
If you eat a lot of fancy exotic fruits for your country (like dragonfruit in Texas [USA]) it'll likely be a bit more expensive.
If you just buy amy's (X) frozen shit, then it's about the same.
If you buy raw potatoes, even organic like I do, and cut them up and bake them, it's by far cheaper.

Personally my food costs are $140-160 a month in Texas, and I get all my nutrients and slam in around 3500-4000 calories a day. They used to be around triple that.
That is including eating some gardein chicken thingies, buying a few exotic fruits, and having some processed quick snacks like clif bar & soy milk, Lenny & Larry cookie, etc.
I don't eat, or rather haven't been eating, rice, legumes, nuts, or any of those things people always say are so cheap. They are, I am just not fond of them, especially for ease of cooking: I don't like stir-frying vegetables every day. If you don't like those, you should still be okay.
>>
>went vegetarian 5 months ago
>live in flyover land so basically can't go out to eat really now
>saved so much money

I probably could have saved the same amount cooking meat at home though. Oh well.
>>
>>7134142
You don't know how to cook even the basics do you?

It cuts the cooking time in half by rehydrating the dried beans
>>
>>7134081
>memes and hate aside is going vegan/vegetarian cheaper than being an omnivore?

Depends on what you buy. If you buy pre-made foods that are marketed to vegetarians/vegans then you'll be paying a lot more money.

On the other hand if you buy raw produce and cook for yourself then you can expect to save a lot of money.
>>
>>7134081
i did save some money going vegetarian for awhile, but because my husband did not join me, it really wasnt enough to see a difference. also since my body honestly became more efficient at elimination and digestion i was hungry more often and so it started to get tiring trying to keep up cooking somewhat separate meals for both of us.
>>
Why aren't vegetarians fatter? Barely any protein and all those carbohydrates
>>
>>7134091
This.
In my case is cheaper since veg protein is cheaper in my country (beans, soy protein). Although you could spend the same amount and eat high quality foods
>>
>>7135258
Carbs don't make you fat, that's why they aren't.
I eat 700g of carbs a day and have no weight problems.
>>
>>7135321
But most "unhealthy" foods are vegetarian and they even lose that easy meat protein
>>
>>7135321
Is right. When I'm doing higher volume in workouts I'll hit around 1000g or more with no hindrance.
>>
>>7135338
Yeah, and most healthy foods are vegan, what's your point?
Animal products are more likely in unhealthy foods, especially dairy-related ones.
>>
>>7135258
>Barely any protein
>lose that easy meat protein

Where do you nerds get this shit?
>>
>>7134081
Nope
>>
>>7135338
Protein is a nonissue if you eat enough calories at maintenance.
>>
>>7134326
I fucking wish i could eat 3500 calories a day for 150 dollars a month. That is not possible in NJ.
>>
File: soon_horse.jpg (38KB, 599x402px) Image search: [Google]
soon_horse.jpg
38KB, 599x402px
While its true that im quite poor lately, my dad pisses me off because every time i tell him ive been eating mostly vegetarian food at home recently, he immediately teases me about it saying its because im poor.

In truth once you stop cooking with meat you really can do without it, and you miss it less and less.
>>
>>7135347
Yeah vegans can only eat lettuce but I'm talking vegetarians. There's really no reason they are healthier but they are
>>
>>7135360
3lb bag of organic potatoes is $2, I eat 2.5lbs of potatoes for dinner most nights. That's $50~ a month or so, tons of nutrients, and around 25000calories, or about 9days worth.
Throw in some pasta or bananas and you can easily make those calories 'lad.

Even easier if you get non-organic.

>>7135365
The only real difference is that vegans don't have access to prepackaged garbage in every single store and we don't have access to horrid egg breakfasts that fit our diet.
They're healthier (vegetarians) compared to average folk because meat is bad as well, and eating more bad is just bad.
>>
if you want to eat like an 18th century prisoner, yes. if you want food that tastes ok, no.
>>
>>7134375
Someone's not up to date with their memes. Please read the required textbooks.
>>
>>7134081
If you stick to purchasing raw veggies and don't get heavily prepared/processed foods often it will probably cost about the same. Meat is inherently expensive, but milk, eggs, and chicken are super super cheap. If you are vegetarian it can definitely be cheaper, but full on vegan might be a bit more challenging.
>>
>>7134081
I went ovo-lacto for a few months. I don't know why. I was convinced it would help my body chill because I was over-eating for a while, and thought it would force me to eat a bit healthier.

It was expensive for me because I have a two-person household, and my partner is not vegetarian. So, on top of having to buy enough vegetables to sustain my protein intake, I also had to buy and share and cook regular meals for my SO.

If you're single income, it could be easier. It was really hard to find the balance of eating enough vegetables to feel full, without eating the same basic shit everyday. And to do so without totally carbing out.

I think it was about the same. I had to buy a lot more vegetables to sustain hunger and protein intake. Probably equaled the cost of meats.
>>
>>7135513
By "healthier" I meant less fat if you look at my original comment. I wonder why vegetarians are less fat when all they've really done is cut meat
>>
>>7135707
It's a classic selection bias.

Individuals on any specialized diet will be paying more attention to what they consume. Individuals who eat Kosher or Halal see the same bias.

Data that shows lower BMI among vegetarians across the board are simply confounded.
>>
When I was at my most broke, I was eating mostly vegan meals. Porridge for breakfast topped with poached/baked fruit (whatever was cheapest at the time), bagels topped with hummus and grated carrot, sweet potatoes filled with bean chilli, spinach and chickpea pilaf, soup, lentils, vegetarian curries and stews, etc. I wasn't vegan on principle so I also had a few meals that included eggs and yoghurt as well as whatever meat was cheap, but the majority of what I was eating happened to be vegan. Compared to a lot of the shit I see 'broke' people eating, I think I actually ate pretty well, I'd rather have a good vegetarian curry than some shitty cheap hotdogs and white bread.

If money is your main concern though, you obviously need to go by what's cheap in your area and not just by whether something is/isn't vegetarian. Or combine them- however mad it makes /ck/, beans are tasty as fuck in chilli and can turn four portions of beef-only chilli into eight for only a few pennies more.
>>
>>7135258

You can get all the protein you need by judiciously selecting the right food combinations with the necessary amino acids.

Things like corn and beans.
>>
How could excluding options from your diet be cheaper. That's an absurdity.
>>
>>7138404
living on that shit will lower your testosterone
>>
>>7134094
>>7134091
These. Staple's are cheaper than meats, Meats are cheaper than yuppie food aimed at veggo's
>>
>>7138914
How important is spirulina? Because that shit aint cheap
>>
If you're strictly vegan/veg, then probably no. But, meat can be really expensive. You should learn how to cook dishes involving cheap proteins like beans, lentils and tofu. Where I live, a block of tofu is around 0.75-1.25 (adjusted for the exchange rate) and a bag of lentils is like 1.00-1.50. Canned beans and baked beans are a little more expensive than dried but they're still really cheap and totally worth it. Try substituting beans or tofu for meat in recipes sometimes to save money. Or, you can buy unpopular/less popular cuts of meat. I can get six to eight chicken legs or thighs for like 3.00-4.00, but two breasts is like 8.00-9.00. Dark meat has more flavor anyway.

Look into cuisines from countries with lots of poor people like India and Mexico for advice on this.
>>
>>7138828
Perhaps the things you are excluding are more expensive than the other things. Mull that one over.
>>
>>7138404
unless you like pellagra, corn is a terrible fucking choice
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.