[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work a 4 star luxury restaurant, a 115 year old Victorian mansion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

I work a 4 star luxury restaurant, a 115 year old Victorian mansion used for weddings, fancy business party's and fine dining. I started off as a dishwasher and moved to prep and now work in pantry, I have a Mercer renaissance 8 inch chef knife, a microplane, a wetstone, and non skip shoes, that being said I would really appreciate some advice on the following things that I need:

>> #1 black long sleeve chef coat with pocket for therm And marker (best brand, durability etc)

>> #2 chef knife and other knives (best knives you have within $100 range??)

>> #3 might sound stupid but head wraps, caps, hats, bandanas or what??

>> #4 chef pants, would prefer checkered and want then to be durabal.

>> #5 random shit like peelers, sharpeners , therms, markers, etc.

>> #6best non slip shoes

Would really really deeply appreciate any advise thanks guys!

>> pix related, an amuse bouche that we serve.
>>
Mercers are shit, Japanese steel is where its at
>>
Where do you work
>>
Dickies 4 coat
>>
Crocs kitchen version or whatever on amazon
>>
Shameful self bump
>>
>>7132974
Dickies
Tojiro GP
If no uniform toque then get a white small toque
Dickies
Restaurant store
Crocs
>>
>>7133040
Is Japanese steel the best usually?
>>
Wow /b/ gave me 100 times more advice and feedback. this place is sorta dead.
>>
>>7133045
well its like two sheets of metal folded in one another. the outer has steel while the edge is carbon. So the brittle carbon is reinforced by the steel.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (193KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
193KB, 1000x666px
>>7133045
>>7133107
like this
>>
Do you have to oil those or something?
>>
>>7133115

Yeah you have to oil and dry them
>>
>>7132974
Find a uniform store and try on different shoes, coats and pants. Barring that, go with an elastic waist band with a drawstring on baggy pants for more comfort, make sure your coat has room for movement. I work in a hot climate so mesh panels, vents, and short sleeves for me. Ideally I prefer long sleeves on my coats, but it just gets too hot to deal with a few less oil splatters on my forearms, and I keep an immaculately clean and pressed long sleeve coat around if I need to look more impressive for some occasion. I stick with a heavier weight cotton on the pants and the coats I wear on the line are a cotton and synthetic blend, the "dress coat" is heavy weight cotton. When I am required to wear a hat, I have a couple skull caps somewhat like pictured. My comfortable shoes are some ugly new balance 626, and my dress are some random shoes for crews things that look decent and won't lay me on my ass if I step in oil, but suck if I have to wear them for 16 hours. The non-slip on the NB is very good, and OK on the shoes for crews ones. In the summer time I keep several long white neckerchiefs rolled up damp in a sealed container in a cooler to rotate out. They help quite a bit when draped round your neck under your coat.
What knife have you been using? What do you like and not like about it? If $100 is the total budget for knives, go with a $30 chef knife, $20 4 inch petty or paring, $10-$15 bread knife, and spend the rest on a combination sharpening stone.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-22-11-51.png (72KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-22-11-51.png
72KB, 480x800px
>>7133164
Thanks for the advise! I'm using a Mercer renaissance 8 inch pic relate$?d what do you think?
>>
>>7133190
The Fibrox is lighter and will maintain an edge better, but mainly because it wears more evenly. Think of it as OK cutting quite noticeably longer, but perfect edge just a little longer. The Fibrox is more finicky when sharpening, but a consistent technique will help that a lot. Some people really like the lighter weight, some don't. I like the handle on my old Mercer much better than the Fibrox, but the Fibrox handle isn't terrible feeling and it is plenty durable. I say go for it. Even if you don't like it as much as the Mercer, having 2 chef knives is advantageous.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.