[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need your help /ck/. What sort of kitchen knife would be good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: ulu.jpg (17KB, 510x324px) Image search: [Google]
ulu.jpg
17KB, 510x324px
I need your help /ck/.
What sort of kitchen knife would be good for someone with shaky fucked up hands? I was thinking of something like pic-related, but I don't know if there are any better options out there. Do I just have to resign myself to using a food processor for everything?
Along those same lines, how the heck do you maintain/sharpen a decent edge on a knife without a steady hand?
>>
>>7132427
y so shaky bro
>>
File: slapchop.jpg (23KB, 306x423px) Image search: [Google]
slapchop.jpg
23KB, 306x423px
it's actually a good product.

of course it can only chop things that are already small though.
>>
>>7132427
Search for information about "adaptive knives".

You can send out your knives for sharpening, but honing them might be harder.
>>
How shakey are we talking, Micheal J Fox going off reading through some mountains or just slightly shakey.
Do you make milkshakes spill or just water.
>>
>>7132473
Much appreciated, anon! I had been trying to search things like knife/kitchen assist tools without luck.

>>7132445
>>7132484
shit genetics
>Do you make milkshakes spill or just water.
Usually just the latter.
>>
Heavy santoku, mebbe?
>>
>>7132511
So fairly shaky then. I have to say, watching you use a knife would be nerve wracking as hell and I can't imagine pic related making any better. I think a food processor and one of these >>7132453
would be the safest route.
>>
>>7133502
or maybe some chain-mail gloves?
>>
File: Klingon_Weapon-bat'leth.jpg (64KB, 422x525px) Image search: [Google]
Klingon_Weapon-bat'leth.jpg
64KB, 422x525px
>>7132427
Use a bat'leth.
>>
File: 310B7qVn3CL.jpg (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
310B7qVn3CL.jpg
15KB, 500x500px
>>7132473
>adaptive knives

Neat.

This looks like it might do the job OP. Especially if you frequently chop unidentifiable orange skin pucks.
amazon.com/Cutting-Board-Pivot-Knife-White/dp/B004TTJH5C
>>
>>7133523
>orange skinned punks
>>
>>7132427
Depending on how shaky you actually are, you may be able to learn to use a regular chef knife if you take it slow, hold it properly (pen grip on blade, no finger down the length of the blade or hamfist on handle nonsense), and learn to push food under it with your knuckles.

That will only work for minor shakiness though. (But, I mean if you're really shaky, do you really want to be handling knives at all?)

I doubt blade pictured will actually make your life any easier either way.

And yeah, just pay a professional to sharpen your knives, they do a better job anyway.
>>
>>7132427
/ck/ hates ulu knives but I like mine if I'm just trying to chop some shit up nice and small. if you are shaky and you want to dice use an ulu and get the cutting bowl for it. its amazing for shit tons of herbs too

[spoiler]I use mine to cut up muh drugs too[/spoiler]
>>
>>7133574
I don't hate them, they're just not nearly as fast as a chef knife for most uses once you learn how to use the chef knife. And related to OP's question, they don't seem less prone to slippage either, although I guess if you're using them in a bowl rather than on a cutting board, at least he'll only spill food rather than blood.
>>
>>7132427
You can get those sharpening pulls that have angled whet or something, which you can basically just slide a knife through a bunch of times as if you were cutting your extremely long legs or something.
I'm not sure how good they are, but they exist.
>>
>>7133582
They are not very good at all. I mean, better than nothing, but much better to let a pro do it instead.
>>
File: mezzaluna_large_bowl.jpg (26KB, 390x308px) Image search: [Google]
mezzaluna_large_bowl.jpg
26KB, 390x308px
>>7133581
yeah they come like pic related and you can just go to town on herbs without paying attention which I like. same if I want some tiny ass onions or something and I'd been drinking and my knife wont be so great.

it was a gift so I don't know if theyre expensive but I have it and its more useful to me than a one specific use kitchen too. I guess I also use it as my cutting board thats always out so I'll slice an apple or my bread on it since its there
>>
>>7133585
I don't think clumsy people should have razor sharp knives.
Just "sharp enough" knives.

on the other hand, I'm tempted to buy a 100 pack of scalpels, just to see how horrible they are.
>>
>>7133590
>meant one specific use kitchen tool

like its better than a garlic press or some other tool that only has one use
>>
>>7133523
>not slicing your gas station honey buns into pieces that can be shot into ones mouth via a popsicle stick catapult

That looks useful but also dangerous to clean, I mean who would detach the blade every time.
>>
>>7132427
Pic related is for people with arthritis.
>>
>>7133669
oh man, that's like a reverse shotel.
>>
>>7133684
Well, they're pretty ok if you have fucked up fingers and wrists. I imagine they'll do well for people with the shakes too.
>>
>>7132427
Just be careful. My grandpa was a carpenter and he had horrible tremors. Got worse the older he got but he never lost a single digit.
>>
>>7133688
I imagine it would almost work as a mindfuck weapon in SCA or something.
Like, not actually viable, but still usable because nobody would have any clue what to do unless they'd already seen it being used.

>tfw somebody shows up with a mardu one day and I have no fucking clue what to do
>queue 25 minutes of getting stabbed and smashed
>>
File: nt.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
nt.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>7133590
>using a skinning knife for herbs

/ck/ pls
>>
>>7132427
I recommend a good sudoku knife it has dimples so those cucumber slices etc fall right off
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.