[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on supermarket sushi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

File: supermarket-sushi-in-display2.jpg (41KB, 424x250px) Image search: [Google]
supermarket-sushi-in-display2.jpg
41KB, 424x250px
Opinions on supermarket sushi?
>>
weab shiit
>>
File: whatdafuqisthis.png (912KB, 1440x804px) Image search: [Google]
whatdafuqisthis.png
912KB, 1440x804px
>>7131356
>mfw my local supermarket puts brown rice and french's fried onions in their "sushi"
It's fucking disgusting, even by supermarket pre-made standards.
>>
>>7131356
On the same level as supermarket sandwiches
>>
>>7131356
Cheap versions of luxury foods are generally terrible. Cheap cheese, steaks and wine are usually awful. I wouldn't even chance cheap fish raw.
>>
If you're at Publix just go ahead and get a sub. Boar's Head or GTFO as well.
>>
When I was working at a grocery store we sold some. It wasn't bad, but it was the first sushi I ever had.
>>
>>7131388
You know that sushi was originally a cheap street snack, right? Just because there exist a small number of super-fancy sushi places doesn't mean that all sushi is a gourmet luxury food.
>>
uncle giuseppes is a gold standard for premade grocery store items. it also is in my opinion the happiest place on earth

but I like the inari from there, I Can never finish it all at once because hey are so big.
>>
>>7131388
The shady Italian market in my city has great wines for $5-10, idk if they "fell off the back of a truck" or not
>>
>>7131416
>You know that sushi was originally a cheap street snack, right?
Back when good quality fish was a poor man's food, just like lobster was served to prisoners. We don't live in that world anymore. For most folks today good seafood is a luxury, and I don't want to chance anything less than that raw.
>>
>>7131356
>Opinions on supermarket sushi?

Mostly poor quality, but now and then you find a market with surprisingly good sushi.
>>
>>7131429
when I was talking to uncle joe, who is a big time wino, he was telling me how the more he learns about wine the more he realizes a $2 bottle can be just as good as a $60 bottle.
and basically don't believe the hype or the french when it comes to wine. There are only two kinds of wine, wine you like, and wine you don't, its all subjective and nobody can tell you which one is better than the other.
>>
File: N-Wegmans-1.jpg (57KB, 448x299px) Image search: [Google]
N-Wegmans-1.jpg
57KB, 448x299px
Ya'll need to try Wegmans sushi.

Actually mad decent.
>>
>>7131388
>Cheap wine
I disagree, Boone's Farm over ice is the ultimate summer time drink.
>>
>>7131458
>Wegmans

went to my folks place in Maryland, they just moved to keymar. They took me to wegmans and I bust a nut, I fucking love that place.
>>
whole foods is bomb as fuck. about to go get some in an hour.
>>
>>7131356
Honestly if it was cheap i would buy it.
However, i am not going to pay 5.99 for 6 tiny pieces of cucumber maki or some inari.
Let alone 12.99 for some plain tuna or salmon sushi.
>>
File: 4c-214-supermarket_sushi_cat.jpg (23KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
4c-214-supermarket_sushi_cat.jpg
23KB, 300x100px
>>7131356
even feral cats avoid that shit
>>
>UK

Shit tier
>>
>>7131458
this
this
and also
this

that fucker danny gets me every time i go into a wegmans. i can't walk past the sushi without grabbing something.
>>
>>7131356
most of the time, the rice isn't made proper and is too 'tough'
>>
Publix sushi isn't bad, actually.
>>
>>7131356
way too fucking overpriced. for the same price you could make your own and at least triple the quantity.
>>
>>7131799

So in other words it's just like all the other "ready to eat" foods sold at the supermarket?
>>
>>7131751
the dude at my grocery store's sushi counter adopted the western name Saul and always calls to me when I come through. He always makes whatever I want fresh, even if he already has it on display in the cooler.
I know it sure as shit ain't REEL NIPPONESE SUSHI-DAIYO but I like it
>>
>>7131801
nah. when i say overpriced, i mean at least $8-12 USD for one roll with shitty low quality ingredients. which is the price of some sushi buffets at that point.
>>
>>7131388
>luxury food
>>
>>7131792
I was really surprised by them! I had just moved to a state that had Publix and it was pretty decent. It's not AMAZING but for what it's worth it's not bad to fill a quick craving.
>>
>>7131458
Wegman's is the shit. Thank god I live in the NE.
>>
Dierbergs has a surprisingly solid lineup. Save for the unfortunate habit of making some rolls with brown rice.
>>
Eat them as you shop, throw away the container right before checkout
>>
>>7131903
You're skin must be brown or you live in a trailer, Or both!
>>
>>7131903
My hero.
>>
>>7131472
>Maryland

I'm over in Harford County, other side of the city from your parents. Best fucking place I've ever lived, and there's a Wegman's 15 minutes from my house
>>
>>7131903
And by the time you get home, the food poisoning will have set in.
>>
>>7132244
visiting from Michigan I had sticker shock from how cheap the seafood was.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (167KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
167KB, 960x720px
HEB
E
B
>>
>>7131875
Oh hey, fellow STLfag. I've never seen them using brown rice. But they do actually make their sushi as fresh as it can be for Missouri.
>>
>>7131356
>cold day
>on a train
>raining
Best thing. Use plenty of soy sauce and eat the ginger raw/
>>
File: graceful thread exit.webm (103KB, 332x216px) Image search: [Google]
graceful thread exit.webm
103KB, 332x216px
>>7131388
>cheap wine is bad

when will this meme end?
>>
>>7131356
it's fine and anybody who complains is a pretentiosu weeb

raw fish on rice is hard to fuck up unless it's spoiled
>>
>>7131388

I've been head chef of a 3 Michelin starred restaurant for several years.

I completely disagree with your post. While there's a tendency for cheaper products to be worse, it doesn't have a cause-effect relationship with the quality of the food.
>>
>>7132310
>I've been head chef of a 3 Michelin starred restaurant for several years.
Why are you lying on the internet?
>>
>>7132260
Why is name of that supermarket so funny?
>>
>>7132336
Because the B stands for Butt.
>>
>>7132341
Butt HEB?
>>
>>7132344
Are you retarded?
>>
>>7131416
But sushi is fuck expensive anywhere in Japan nowadays - only supermarket sushi is somewhat cheap
>>
>>7132260
And I can use my foodstamps!
>>
the sushi ive had from supermarkets have been pretty good.
>>
>>7131356
days old and fuckin gross mate
>>
>>7132260
mah nigga
>>
>>7132570
The sushi at my supermarket is made in plain sight all day right behind the sushi display which is pretty good. I'm not qualified to comment on its quality but it's good enough and definitely isn't the 'bottom tier' that I've heard a lot of supermarket sushi is.
This being said, it is also quite expensive and considering there's an actual sushi place 2 minutes drive from my house there's no real reason to get it apart from convenience.
>>
>>7132260
>>7132579
My niggas.
>>
>>7132260
>>7132579
>>7132614
My familia.

Spicy tuna a best
>>
>>7131388
>cheap steak

Steak is such a generic, shit tier food item. It's practically meme food. There's no point spending more than as little as possible on it.
>>
>>7131430
>Back when good quality fish was a poor man's food
it's cute that you think this
>>
File: 20150708_151829.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150708_151829.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Good stuff
>>
>>7131356
I wouldn't touch that crap with a barge pole.
>>
File: 20150708_151859.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150708_151859.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>7132656
with out cover
>>
>>7132602
you do realize the fish they use are the days old raw salmon, tuna the supermarket couldn't sell? even if it's made in plain sight doesn't mean they aren't using shit tier ingredients
>>
>>7132672
Never said I think that. I don't even think that of some of the better sushi places around here. Just saying compared to other sushi I've had from actual sushi places the difference is negligible to me.
Also, you can't prove that they do considering you don't even know where I live.
>>
i guess it depends from place to place. sure it may be "lower quality" but that is to be expected when you are buying it for $4 from a grocery store. for what its worth, i consider it a $4 well spent. maybe my grocery store just has a good sushi chef working there.
>>
>>7132636
>roe and milt treated as garbage parts relegated to fishermen and fishing wives bowls.
>now costs as much as the fish fillets
>>
File: ls.jpg (28KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ls.jpg
28KB, 250x250px
T&T supermarket is some pretty amazing quality stuff, considering they only hire Asians and the make new batches about twice a day. Pretty gr8 m8
>>
>>7131374
some of them are very good. guess it depends which country you're from.
>>
>>7132260
san antonio roll is the best
I'm going to buy one tonight
>>
>>7131388
>Cheap versions of luxury foods

Sushi is literally side-bar street food in Japan. I fucking love it when weebs act as if Japanese and Chinese cuisine is real hot shit. The dishes you find in an upscale Chinese restaurant in America would be served in styrofoam cups out of some wrinkly grannies food cart on the streets of China.
>>
it literally varies from individual store. not even the area. I used to live within walking distance of a vons and and albertsons, the vons sushi was crap, the alberstons was very good, nearly restraunt-tier. the only real downside was that alot of the time they only had really basic stuff like california rolls. and then for some reason they stopped selling it entirely and replaced it with shit-quality sandwiches.
>>
>>7131442

I actually work at a winery and this is completely true. The pricing of wine is purely case-by-case on how well a batch came out. The same methods that produced a $30 bottle last year might only make a $15 bottle of this year. They don't change anything up, it's based solely on the subjective experience of the testers.
>>
>>7131607
This. For those outside of the UK, there's a chain called Tesco which, alongside the sandwiches and stuff, have 'sushi' with Egg Mayo, Coronation Chicken and some weird Prawn Marie-Rose thing. The worst thing is seeing someone eat it with the pickled ginger on top.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 620x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 620x960px
>mfw the store I work at has Filipinos make sushi every day and it's actually good
>mfw plebs settle for this nonsense
>>
>>7131356
There's a Japanese market that has a hole in the wall sushi guy
You call in and they'll make to order sushi. It's not as good as a good sushi place, but it's a lot better than grocery store sushi and not much more expensive.
>>
>>7132271

Yeah, to be fair being in the middle of a continent it doesn't get THAT much better than "freshly" made supermarket sushi. But Dierbergs does put forth an effort anyway. I've enjoyed it plenty of times.
>>
File: reee.jpg (97KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
reee.jpg
97KB, 1080x1920px
>>7135920
Dierbergs is top tier

>There are Schnucksfags here
>There are people who have to go to a national grocery store chain at all
>>
>>7131367
Fresh and Easy sells sushi like that. as well as "burrito sushi" which is literally just the rolls not cut up.
fucking stupid americans.
>>
>>7135029
Is that just rice without anything in it?
>>
once had an old uncle tell me
"sushi from store make bowels move more"
he also always said
"fish that sits out will make bunghole shout"
>>
>>7135971
Tendie minions?
>>
>Go supermarket
>Asian girl hands out sushi
>girlfriend does not like the shit they put in it
>accept 2 and have them to myself
>they get so swamped with people as they hand out these free trials that i return 5 minutes later to grab another 2
>4 sushi completely free
>a pack of 6 sushi costs over 10 euros
>literally have free sushi every time i pass that supermarket
>>
>>7131367
Spain here.
They sell "special" sushi with friend onions on top all the time, and other weird shit.

If you don't want "special" sushi, you have to stick with the regular stuff which is literally ham cubes and lettuce wrapped in rice. I shit you not, sushi here contains no raw fish unless you want it covered in onions and spicy sauce.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.