[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I read a blog on flours which pretty much said that every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

So I read a blog on flours which pretty much said that every wholewheat flour goes bad in 24 hours.

So even if you buy some organic stone grind flour it will go rancid in a days time and it's best to buy a home mill and make your own flour.

Is there any truth to this or is it the latest meme article urging you to make everything yourself at home or due a horrible death from cancer?
>>
>every time i've ever used whole wheat flour it was rancid and i never realized it

Sounds legit.
>>
>24 hours
no
>is there any truth to this
yes

all whole grains have a much shorter shelf life than refined grains

most people think the rancid smell of spoiled fats is normal, whereas in fact it's only normal if "normal" to you means buying rancid, albeit fully edible food from the supermarket

asians will exhibit the same attitudes about brown rice vs white rice
>>
>>7130918
>asians will exhibit the same attitudes

dats racist
>>
>>7130897

fresh ground is definitely better the same way fresh ground coffee is better. but it doesn't spoil until 6 months. or so and its very very noticeable so this blog is crap
>>
>>7130897

>organic flour
>contains bromine though

What's the point?
>>
>>7130918

this!

anything containing oils is going to be subtly different day after day up to a point. there are so many chocolate bars and other shelf products that have some controlled level of rancidity on them; we're used to it and have come to expect some inscrutable difference between fresh and supermarket ingredients.
>>
>>7131033
>>contains bromine though
I've never heard about this. Can you explain?
>>
>>7130897
>buy a home mill
>make your own flour

Laughing hard irl
>>
>>7131241
durr farm your own wheat
>>
>>7131237

Google brominated flour.
>>
>>7131237

http://m.livescience.com/36206-truth-potassium-bromate-food-additive.html
>>
>>7130897
Fresh ground tastes somewhat better, but is harder to get a consistent texture and thus harder to measure as precisely as commercial flours, you need to be willing and able to adjust flour amounts on the fly more during baking (which you should do anyway, but it's more of a pain with grinding your own.)

It absolutely does not go bad in 24 hours, that blog sounds retarded. You can taste when whole grain flour is off (oils in it go rancid), and it's somewhere around 6 months for me (depends on how you store it.)
>>
>>7131256
>brominated
>to be nominated by bros
>>
>>7131033
It says right there on the front of the package "Never Bromated".
>>
And here I was reading the bread baked apprentice and pretty much every single whole wheat recipe calls for making a sponge and polish with the flour.

Never has whole wheat bread tasted rancid to me.
>>
>>7131523
Bread bakers apprentice*

Fucking auto correct.
>>
>>7131523
>notices the "baked" part of "bread baker's apprentice"
>not that 'polish' was swapped in for 'poolish'
Sad.

I always use the same poolish/preferment/biga/starter for all my breads, so they're all mostly refined wheat. I add whole grain flours to that to make my dough. I grind some myself in my BlendTec, most commonly oat flour, but also barley, buckwheat and friik, a type of toasted wholegrain wheat berry. As well as other grains.
>>
>>7131666
Meant in reply to both >>7131528 and >>7131523.
>>
>>7131257
So nothing is wrong with it
>>
>>7131462
>Fresh ground tastes somewhat better, but is harder to get a consistent texture and thus harder to measure as precisely as commercial flours, you need to be willing and able to adjust flour amounts on the fly more during baking (which you should do anyway, but it's more of a pain with grinding your own.)
true but that's why any decent recipe is by weight not volume in baking

I grind my own flours and definitely notice the difference in taste, is it enough for most people? Dunno. But it was cheap for the mill and raw materials are cheaper than flour itself so I save a fair bit.
>>
>>7130940

>brown rice vs white rice
>liking brown rice
>not being part of the white master rice
>>
>>7131669
Maybe you should ask the nice people at the genius bar for help with your newfangled iPod
>>
>>7133870
That makes no sense and you are stupid. You ought to be ashamed.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.