[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way I can prepare raw salmon that ensures it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

Is there a way I can prepare raw salmon that ensures it's safe to eat?
>>
cook it
>>
By cooking it
>>
Try 'cooking' it
>>
>>7130510
Curing it with a brine.
>>
>>7130510
Heat it until it's no longer raw
>>
Durp.

Try making a ceviche with your salmon. Ceviche isn't usually done with salmon, but it's a viable option for what you're looking for.

Cube up your salmon, and toss with lime juice, onion, cilantro, peppers (optional), some oil and s+p

You could also buy it cold smoked which is tasty.
>>
>>7130510
>buy sushi grade salmon
>consume
>>
>>7130510
microwave
>>
freeze it over night

this kills the parasites

that's how the sushi people do it
>>
>>7130585
Isn't it almost always frozen prior to buying at the store?
>>
>>7130585
In case anyone takes the bait...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/science/freezing-fish-killing-parasites.html?_r=0
>>
>>7130510

Put it under a uv-lamp for a minute or 10.
>>
File: Kill It With Fire.gif (1MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
Kill It With Fire.gif
1MB, 256x192px
>>7130510
Marinade it on the barbecue
>>
>>7130572
Came here to post this

It doesn't use heat so it technically doesn't cook it
>>
>>7130733
What. Microwave poster. The microwaves excite the molecules within the salmon creating heat through friction. Microwaves most definitely generate heat.
>>
>>7130585
Uhhh no

>>7130594
Not at a fish market, its kept chilled on ice but never freezes as that damages the flesh.
>>
>>7130733
>It doesn't use heat so it technically doesn't cook it
Where to even begin
>>
>>7130756
They just excite the water molecules, so if you dry the salmon really well it wont cook. It's why you can't put metal in the microwave because metal naturally is too rigid to have water inside of it.
>>
>>7130770
Theirs water in the air, it would need to be in a vacuum to not cook. And exciting the molecules means adding kinetic energy ie heating
>>
>>7130594
sushi-grade fish can be flash-frozen to ship it further inland, but if you live on the coast then there's no point and its sold raw.

key word being sushi-grade, freezing your own fish after the fact won't do anything.
>>
>>7130773
Then you put it in a sous vide bag after you dry it to keep the moisture out. EZPZ
>>
>>7130778
Retard, the ait gets hot and tries to find equalibrium so it heats the bag.
>>
>>7130510
Find a river, catch one and eat
>>
>>7130774

all fish for raw consumption is required by the fda to be flash frozen.

>key word being sushi-grade

this is meaningless

> freezing your own fish after the fact won't do anything.

yes it will
>>
>>7130770

>They just excite the water molecules, so if you dry the salmon really well it wont cook.

i'm pretty sure at that point you would have to be freeze drying your salmon before microwaving it dude.
>>
>>7130935
>sushi grade is meaningless
it means it's fresh and clean and delicious enough for sushi, what don't people understand about this? you don't make sushi from the funky smelling slab of freezer burned mystery fish from trader joes, you get something from some place reputable, and places like that sometimes set aside particularly good inventory for sushi

just because there isn't an official clappyfag three letter agency saying "this fish is approved for sushi" doesn't mean the term isn't widely understood

you're probably one of those faggots who goes "hurr there is no nobel prize for economics", no, just fuck off, you're not as smart as your mommy said you are

not the person you replied to
>>
>>7130510
Smoke it. It will have some of the raw texture but will be safe and delicious.
>>
>>7130942

as there is no actual standard for it there's no consistency, if a shit fishmonger just says it's the freshest fish he has it could still be shit. calling it 'sushi-grade' allows vendors to sell things to consumers, who are unable to determine the freshness by themselves, with an illusory guarantee of quality. if you understand that it's meaningless that's fine, you're well on your way to actually learning how to buy fish.
>>
>>7130954
>calling it 'sushi-grade' allows vendors to sell things to consumers, who are unable to determine the freshness by themselves, with an illusory guarantee of quality
there is no "allows" here, there's no agency that certifies it.

if a bakery sells "fresh bread" that's actually 3 days old, that doesn't negate the meaning of "fresh bread"
>>
>>7130960

>if a bakery sells "fresh bread" that's actually 3 days old, that doesn't negate the meaning of "fresh bread"

the term 'sushi-grade' isn't anywhere near as clear to a consumer as 'fresh bread'. they walk in to a shop and ask 'is that sushi grade' and the vendor points at something and says 'yes'. what that could mean is completely obfuscated. the word 'grade' is completely misleading.
>>
>>7130942
"Sushi grade" often means the fish has been flash frozen. All the sushi grade fish at the Tokyo fish market has been frozen.
If frozen right, frozen fish tastes way better than unfrozen fish unless you're literally eating it right off the boat.
>>
>>7130964
>the word 'grade' is completely misleading.
you'll have to learn to contain your burgers, because it's what everyone says
>the term 'sushi-grade' isn't anywhere near as clear to a consumer as 'fresh bread'
tell that to the people on /ck/ who defend preservative-soaked garbage food until they're even pinker in the face. consumer ignorance is not a reason to embrace nihilism.
>>
>>7130969

>you'll have to learn to contain your burgers, because it's what everyone says

'it's what everyone says' is not a good argument for using it.

>consumer ignorance is not a reason to embrace nihilism.

i have no idea what you mean by 'nihilism' in this case, regardless, i'm not embracing anything, i'm just saying that sushi does not have a clearly defined 'grade' and there is no use in using it as a key word. all the fish you eat should be fresh or at least handled safely.
>>
File: 1447112626791.gif (842KB, 229x199px) Image search: [Google]
1447112626791.gif
842KB, 229x199px
>ctrl+f
>gravlax
Wow, all of you, so pleb, REEEEEEEEEEE

http://www.gnolls.org/1887/the-best-gravlax-recipe-on-the-internet/
>>
>>7130973
>'it's what everyone says' is not a good argument for using it.
it is when it's the best available option, when you're in charge of the dictionary you get to make up a better term if you'd like
>i have no idea what you mean by 'nihilism' in this case, regardless, i'm not embracing anything
you're saying some people don't understand the inscrutable fishies, therefore we shouldn't try to speak about them
>all the fish you eat should be fresh or at least handled safely.
what is "fresh"? there is no definition of "fresh", someone might lie. I can eat fish that smells kind of weird without getting sick as long as it's fully cooked, and it tastes fine once I cover it in lemon juice.
>>
>>7130982
>gravlax
what's pokemon got to do with salmon?
>>
>>7130988

it's not the best available option, the best available option is 'caught in ____, ____ hours ago'. or just 'fresh'. 'sushi grade', being misleading, is actually the *worst* possible option.

>you're saying some people don't understand the inscrutable fishies, therefore we shouldn't try to speak about them

no, i'm not, i'm saying we should use clear language that doesn't lead people to make posts like this: >>7130774

>I can eat fish that smells kind of weird without getting sick as long as it's fully cooked, and it tastes fine once I cover it in lemon juice.

which is completely fucking irrelevant.
>>
>>7130510
>prepare raw salmon that ensures it's safe to ea
It must be kept on ice from time time it is caught to the time you prepare it. If it's frozen that also works. Just eat it.
>>
>>7130510
Just eat the salmon raw, pussy.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>7130982
This guy gets it
Gravlax rules
>>
>>7131043
>just 'fresh'
But this is even less clear than 'sushi grade'. Every fishmonger has a sign that says 'fresh fish'
>>
>>7131600

>But this is even less clear than 'sushi grade'

it's not specific, but it is not actively misleading. fresh is fresh, there are many variables at play maintaining freshness but absolutely nothing maintaining that the 'grade' of your fish is appropriate for sushi. we don't sell 'tartare grade' beef or 'salad grade' greens, the idea that you would buy substandard ingredients for any purpose other than sushi is absurd and, as i've stressed repeatedly, misleading.
>>
>>7130942
>fresh
Shut up, and go do your research before you spread your misinformation faggot.
If it is the US, they freeze it.

>>7130774
All fish for raw consumption sold within the US is frozen at -4f for 7 days, or -31f for one day. If you want fish that hasn't been frozen, go to Japan or Korea.

>Key word being sushi-grade
It is an ill defined phrase that only means frozen prior to consumption.
>>
>>7130510
Ionizing radiation
>>
>>7132019

Even in Japan it depends highly on the fish. Some fish may be served so fresh the flesh is still twitching. But many if not most fish are deliberately aged in order to improve the flavor before the sushi is made. Tuna is a great example of this--it's stored at a specified temperature and time--very similar to how beef is hung before consumption.
>>
>>7131674
>the idea that you would buy substandard ingredients for any purpose other than sushi is absurd
Why is it absurd? You can taste when a fish has started to go off much more easily when it's raw, this is a matter of degree, it's not a binary proposition.
>>
>>7132054

Why discuss "sushi grade fish" when nobody ever mentions "rare grade ribeye steaks" or "salad grade tomatoes"

It goes without saying that there exists a standard of quality for ingredients in any dish so there's nothing unique with respect to sushi here.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.