[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I made Spaghetti Bolognese today for my brother and me. My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Spaghetti_Bolognese.jpg (764KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Spaghetti_Bolognese.jpg
764KB, 1000x667px
So I made Spaghetti Bolognese today for my brother and me. My brother told me that the meat hasn't any flavor. I told him if I add any spices to the grounded beef they would go back into the sauce. Does it really matter if I season the sauce or the beef? And how do you guys make the perfect sauce?
>>
Your beef was not browned properly.
>>
What's wrong with salt and pepper? I'm not really sure what you're asking here...
>>
>>7128356
This is probably it, OP. Your beef needs to be BROWNED not grayed, make sure there is plenty of colour on it.
>>
For a basic meat sauce, which is what a Bolognese is supposed to be, I simply season the meat and let it simmer long enough for the flavor to blend.

For a meat sauce with marinara, I do the same thing, and simply add more spices as needed when I add the tomato puree, let simmer, and season to taste as needed.

Seasonings that work well:
Fresh or dried basil
oregano
black pepper
rosemary
garlic (I add it to the soffritto before the meat goes in)
red OR white wine (added to the meat after browning and then allowed to reduce)
bay leave (not a fan, though some like them...)
Coarse salt
>>
>>7128379
>Your beef needs to be BROWNED not grayed, make sure there is plenty of colour on it.

Same thing goes for your soffritto / mirepoix.

That shit needs to be browned for the best flavors, not simply sweated.
>>
>>7128356
>>7128379
I will try that next time. I always fear that the meat will become dry and hard even if it simmers in the sauce.

Another thing is some people let the sauce simmer for 3 HOURS. I know the sauce will become thicker and stronger in taste but does it really taste better?
>>
>>7128393
I always add fresh basil, pepper, salt, and a lot of garlic. I really like the taste of garlic. BUT I cant stand the taste of oregano and rosemary. They magically make everything authentic Italian they touch.
>>
Canful of tomatoes. Canful of milk. Canful of wine.
>>
File: old-man-drinking-milk-.jpg (39KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
old-man-drinking-milk-.jpg
39KB, 675x450px
>>7128494
milk what?
>>
I've never seasoned sauce...it's already made with aromatics. But the meat should simmer long enough for the flavors to blend.
>>
>>7128481
>I always add fresh basil, pepper, salt, and a lot of garlic.

I'm a big fan of using a limited seasoning profile to my ragu's and tend to stick with using garlic, plus one other seasoning. Too many seasonings take away from the meat, IMO.
>>
Meat wasn't seasoned, regardless if you brown it or add spices, without salt it will all just taste bland.
>>
Just put some salt and wee bit of pepper on it. At least salt. You really don't have to add much since the sauce will add to it.
Salt enhances existing flavor especially in meats, it doesn't really change it unless you use too much.
>>
>>7128404
Don't worry about it drying out the meat, there will be plenty of fat in there and it will actually improve the texture of the meat as far as the sauce is concerned (it won't just be soft and nondescript bit of meat).

Simmering the sauce for a long time does indeed improve the flavour and if it gets a little too thick or dry, just add some water. Simmering is for flavour, not consistency.
>>
>>7128714
*bits of meat
>>
File: 1238061849331.jpg (6KB, 251x249px) Image search: [Google]
1238061849331.jpg
6KB, 251x249px
Why do Americans abbreviate every dishes name?

>macca cheese
>spag' bol'
>pasta 'nara
>>
>>7128501
You should try it.
>>
>>7128740
You would too if every spoken syllable required you to perform Herculean feats of meat movement.
>>
File: 1448378565997.png (1MB, 830x770px) Image search: [Google]
1448378565997.png
1MB, 830x770px
>>7128754
>>
>>7128740
>>macca cheese
>>spag' bol'
>>pasta 'nara

We don't.

That's Britfaggot shit...
>>
File: spaget.jpg (822KB, 1289x723px) Image search: [Google]
spaget.jpg
822KB, 1289x723px
r8 my meatballs spaghetti
>>
>>7128825
Only spag bol is Brit language. Mac 'n' cheese is definitely American, and I've never heard anyone saying 'nara besides forced memes on here (which I expect that other anon was subtly attempting).
>>
File: lazytown88.png (671KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
lazytown88.png
671KB, 1000x800px
>>7128825

well we do say 'go style 'za in these here United States
>>
>>7128861
That's just you, faggot.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.