[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just cooked with this, it was bretty gud. I bought it because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: 2015-11-30 20.54.24.jpg (426KB, 1716x2913px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-30 20.54.24.jpg
426KB, 1716x2913px
I just cooked with this, it was bretty gud. I bought it because it has a relatively high smoking point and I'm trying to stay away from canola, vegetable, and sunflower oil.

What meme oils do you recommend?
>>
>>7126927
>I'm trying to stay away from canola, vegetable, and sunflower oil.
Ummmmmmmm why?
>>
>>7126957
i'd assume because "canola is genetically modified"
vegetable because "you don't know whats in it"
and idk about sunflower

don't gripe at me, not my opinion; hence the quotes
>>
>>7126957
Omega 6 polyunsaturated fats most likely. Canola is treated in a way that makes it unstable.
>>7126927
I would use clarified butter if I could find it because it's probably the cheapest high smoke point oil around. In lieu I use this. If I could find a non-organic variety I would use it.
>>
>>7126927
also, my toasted sesame oil comes in the same type of container
only use it as a finisher, never a cooking oil
>>
>>7126927
So one of those fag hippy types that pay $20 for a little bottle of that bullshit thinking that you'll go to heaven when you die?

Just get a bottle of peanut oil you fucking twat, nobody cares about your hippy bullshit.
>>
>>7126927
I use coconut oil, but that's partially because it smells so fucking good.
>>
>>7126967
>I would use clarified butter if I could find it

Just make it yourself, it's easy as fuck to make.
>>
>>7126973
>trustafarian detected
>>
>>7126967
Er, this is HIGH OLEIC safflower oil. Very different from plain safflower oil.
>>7126971
Peanut oil actually isn't the worst option there is
>>
>>7126962
If you don't understand your opinion then why have it?
>>
>>7126962
>sunflower
omega-6
>>
>>7126977
Peanut oil is really good, it's widely available and tastes good and fuck hippies.
>>
>>7126974
I tried and I wasn't confident that I had done it properly. Have not since.
>>
>>7126967
>polyunsaturated fats

If you're trying to avoid these you should be using coconut oil, butter/lard, or olive oil
>>
>>7126987
You basically just slowly boil butter until all the water boils off and the solids all go to the bottom of the pot, then strain it through cheesecloth.
>>
File: Planter's_Peanut_Oil.jpg (15KB, 121x273px) Image search: [Google]
Planter's_Peanut_Oil.jpg
15KB, 121x273px
>>7126927
Here's a direct answer to your question, a more real answer is that is depends on purpose.
>>
>>7126996
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/623/2
>Total Fat 218g
>Saturated Fat 21.3g
>Monounsaturated Fat 182g
>Polyunsaturated Fat 8.3g
>>
>>7127005
For purpose, let's just define a few categories:
High heat/flavorful/unflavored
Medium heat/flavorful/unflavored
Low heat/flavorful/unflavored

There, pick one
>>
>>7127010
I don't have pick just one, since it depends on purpose. Don't be a trolling twat.
>>
>>7127012
I don't understand what you're asking.

This is a thread about oils used for cooking. Of course there are many different cooking techniques that may call for a variety of different oils.

I'm not asking you to create an exhaustive list, just mention an oil that you like to use (preferably one that hasn't already been mentioned-- unless you have new information to bring to the discussion). If you want to say how you use it, that's another bonus for the sake of the discussion.

Sorry if I upset you, senpai
>>
>>7126976
I fucking wish. I just grab it from costco, it doesn't cost "too" much there
>>
>>7126927
But that's unrefined avocado oil, which has a relatively low smoke point of 375F. If you want it for high-heat cooking, you need refined oil.
>>
Beef tallow, motherfucker.
>>
I'm a big fan of rice bran oil. Clean taste, high smoke point, reasonably heathy.
>>
Walnut oil, I love the taste and it makes the nicest golden brown crust ever. Also great for salads. It's normally a tad expensive around here but Aldi has it once or twice a year and I buy a few bottles every time.
>>
Sh3 was hotr

The Rolling Stones - She Was Hot - OFFICIAL PROMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQh8oh0rj3s
>>
>>7126967
You can't buy ghee anywhere near you? Look in Indian grocery stores
>>
>>7126927
coconut oil. Dr Bronner''s brand is the S-H-I-T. Whole kernel, glass jar, delicious flavor and smell. Better body brand is shit smelling and tasting and comes in plastic.
>>
>>7127812
I use the soap made from that oil, can confirm its greatness.
>>
File: 1441500856392.png (151KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1441500856392.png
151KB, 500x281px
>>7127309
>>
Please send me your coconut/almond/avocado oils for my hair. Thanks.
>>
>>7128440
sent :^)
>>
File: grapeseed-oil.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
grapeseed-oil.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
Ignore all the other memes in this thread and go for grapeseed oil.
>>
>>7126967
>I would use clarified butter if I could find it
Dude, just make your own. It's very easy.

>it's probably the cheapest high smoke point oil around
What? Butter is much more expensive than regular grain oils like corn oil or soy oil or lard.
>>
>>7127812
>>7127846
They make some great peppermint soap but it needs to be diluted, 3:1 water:soap is good.
>>
>>
>>7126971
>he can't afford avocado oil
>>
Lard
>>
>>7128547
bought this stuff once. it smoked like a motherfucker, even though it's not supposed to.
>>
>>7126927
Pan fried breaded chicken - EVOO
Pan fried pork - coconut oil
Pan fried beef or lamb - avocado oil
Pan fried eggs - butter or rendered bacon fat
Fried rice or stir fry - sesame oil

Avocado is the most neutral tasting oil I cook with. In all other cases I choose the oil specifically for the flavor it gives, rather than the smoke/heat properties.

My wife is allergic, otherwise I would use peanut oil for some things (especially fried rice).
>>
Peanut oil is the all around best oil for frying, and cooking. It has very little taste, I don't even notice it at all desu. It's also relatively healthy.
>>
>>7129335
How much does peanut oil cost in the US? It's pricey in Australia so definitely not the sort of thing you would want to fill a deep fryer with.

It's around $4.50 for 750ml on special, more if not. Compared to plain "vegetable oil" which is about $2 for the same amount
>>
I just bought a big thing of peanut oil after having used canola oil. I wish this thread was around yesterday so I could have asked, but it seems like I did the right thing.

I've read that flaxseed oil is the best oil for seasoning cast iron with, so I'm looking to pick some up of that.
>>
File: hGNmaEH.png (123KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
hGNmaEH.png
123KB, 800x585px
Virgin coconut if you like coconuts and everything you cook smelling and tasting slightly of coconut.
>>
>>7129440
I bought flaxseed specifically for seasoning. Maybe my technique is better, but I have had much much better results than I ever did before.
>>
>>7129717
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

did you do this?
>>
>>7129791
Yeah basically that.

I did it with carbon steel instead of cast iron, but it's worth it IMO.
>>
>>7129323
I'm allergic to peanuts but peanut oil is fine. It doesn't have the protein which is the normal allergen or some shit like that.
http://www.peanut-institute.org/eating-well/allergy/peanut-oil-no-allergens.asp
>>
the only good oil is olive :/
vegetable for the occasional frying
>>
RAPE
A
P
E

>literally best cooking oil there is
>>
>>7130154
>the only good oil is olive
Nutritionally, many oils beat it, if you like the taste of rubber and garbage it has, that's fine I guess.
>>
>>7126927
>avocado is from the americas and was considered a luxury in europe way into the 70s
>the name is french
>>
File: images (5).jpg (23KB, 446x329px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
23KB, 446x329px
Olive oils. Avacado oil. Coconut oil. Sesame oil. Butter. Ghee. Animal fats (grass fed kidney tallow is the healthiest, chicken fat is kind of shitty due to high pufa 6, everything else sits somewhere inbetweeb) . Walnut oil.

You can do pretty much everything you need with those oils. Coconut, light olive and avocado are good neutral oils. Avocado, coconut and ghee are good for high temp cooking. The others are good for flavour and variety.

The only thing you can't really do is deep fry. Although I did once deep fry in avocado oil in a deep cast iron. Obviously I strained and reused the oil though.

Literally everything else is shit.
>>
>>7130814
God i hate coconut oil so much, the taste, the extent to which it lingers and the consistency
>>
>>7130075
As that article states, it depends how the oil is refined.

More heavily refined oils may be non-allergenic but also lose basically all of the flavor that I would want to use peanut oil for in the first place. There's just really no reason to use it since it is either flavorless, or allergic.
>>
>>7130780
I don't know what your post is meant to convey so I'm going to post something, I consider, equally useless.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/avocado-derives-from-a-word-meaning-testicle/
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.