[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pho Broth for Plebs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: pho broth.jpg (205KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
pho broth.jpg
205KB, 600x450px
Anyone here with experience in making Pho broth?

Tonight is my first attempt using a recipe culminated from various traditional ingredients. I've made bone broths before, but not so much with the spices required for Pho. After rendering my beef bones and halved onion in the oven at 425 for an hour and putting it into my boiling pot, I added my spices: anise seeds (1tsp), coriander(1tsp), fennel seed(1tsp), fish sauce(2.5 tbsp), a cinnamon stick, peppercorns and salt. After bringing to a boil, it's very strong smelling of the anise seeds which is surprising. I couldn't find any star anise, but read that 1 tsp is equivalent to 2 star anise, which is what the recipe called for.

Once the bones boil down, do the aromatics lessen and the beef flavor becomes more predominant? Or did I fuck up somewhere? Is it salvageable?
>>
File: 1314124706256.jpg (22KB, 362x372px) Image search: [Google]
1314124706256.jpg
22KB, 362x372px
>>7126602
>using anise, not star anise

It's a totally different plant even, bro
>>
>>7126679
star anise and anise are reasonably close in flavour. i don't think it'll cause issues.
>>
Jesus Christ. This reminds me of those /ck/ humor threads where somebody posted that they also used a similar sounding ingredient. If they sound the same, they must taste the same!
>>
You shoulda just used anus
>>
>>7126697

they do taste almost exactly the same.
>>
>>7126602
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7126679
>>7126697

I'm fully aware they're two different spices. Again, since there was no Star Anise available I read they were interchangeable with the aforementioned ratio of 1 tsp Anise Seed = 2 Star Anise. That wasn't the point of this thread nor the answer to the questions which I'm trying to get a rebuttal for.
>>
You're 'fully aware' that they're completely different, yet you used them anyway. Alright then.
>>
>>7126602

>no ginger.

You need Ginger too. You also should 'toast' the spices on a hot pan/plate/grill to activate them..

Watch a Vietnamese girl, with decent English, make it on her cooking channel on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bIjDYEs6Qc
>>
File: 1447375692413.png (75KB, 348x301px) Image search: [Google]
1447375692413.png
75KB, 348x301px
>>7126602
>2016
>eating meme Ramen

Alright, we get it. You love Pho
>>
>>7126602

>rendering my beef bones and halved onion in the oven at 425 for an hour
Vietnamese don't have ovens. its very slowly coming into some homes of wealthy/upper class Vietnamese.

The sister of my wife, who lives in HCMC, has a toaster oven, and she uses it as storage.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.