[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've somehow never been to a Korean restaurant, and hav

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

File: koreanfood.jpg (405KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
koreanfood.jpg
405KB, 1280x960px
I've somehow never been to a Korean restaurant, and have recently gotten a really strong desire to go to one (US here).

Is there a proper way to order/eat?

Like do you order your own food, or is it more common to order a bunch of dishes for the table? It seems something like bibimbap would be for an individual, but what about a Kimchi Jjigae?

And what's the deal with the side dishes? Are they put out for everyone and you just take a bite of whatever you want, whenever?

Video related,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzBfWjHfhQ

Is this an accurate representation of how to eat at a Korean restaurant?

Any favorite dishes everyone needs to try?
>>
Everything is greasy, oily, salty, and pickled.

I'll bet Koreans smell fucking awful.
>>
>>7122186
Is that video accurate? You mean, people at Korean restaurants engage in weeb tier banter and have kawaii desu~~~~~ chopstick fights over their bowl? No. That is not accurate at all.
>>
Why are korean's so fucking weird? They try so hard to mimic western customs but come off as creepy and fake.

Anyways, the best way to eat at a korean establishment is to find a korean friend to dine with, you'll get infinitely better service.
>>
>>7122221
Rudeee!!! korean food is delicious

>>7122186
theres not really a certain way to order just order it normally like at any other restaurant. if you have any questions just ask the waitress, koreans are very nice people. the side dishes are for everyone. they are the best part. its like free food with ur meal.
>>
Korean foods is disgusting and the worst Asian food in the region. Somehow they managed to fool retards who watch K-pop or K-dramas into thinking kimchi is something great.
>>
>>7122231

>the best way to eat at a korean establishment is to find a korean friend to dine with, you'll get infinitely better service

That's always true about cuisines you're not too familiar with, but isn't always an option.

It also pisses me off in Bourdain type shows when he goes places and has a fixer make a "friend" for him so he can eat real local shit. I've traveled all over the place and almost never got to eat like he does.
>>
>>7122281
Just need the time/network to make it happen. Travel Channel/CNN/Food Network have the money to pay people a regular salary to make contact with folks. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. You need to build a network. Make friends with cooks/chefs. That opens doors to their friends who have restaurants in other regions, who will know a guy who knows Spanish or Russian or whatever, and knows the good places or how to get you into a grandmom's kitchen. Treat it like job search networking and you can experience the same kinda thing. It's all about who you hang out with.
>>
>>7122293
So if I have autism, I'm fucked?
>>
>>7122323
Kinda, yeah. Unless you can learn to fake being social-able enough to form relationships. But I suspect that's more up a sociopath's alley, not an autistic person's.
>>
>>7122240
>if you have any questions just ask the waitress, koreans are very nice people
I went to a Korean restaurant once, asked about the dishes and stuff and the waitress looked at me like I was from mars, then she left without saying a word and a different waitress came to take my order.
>>
>>7122343
She could have just left there without help but she got you someone who could
>>
>>7122343
She probably knew like 10 words in English and had no idea how to answer you.

That being said, I don't patronize restaurants I can't communicate with. Dining out is a social experience. If I can't chat with my server/the staff, I may as well have just gotten take away and gone home.
>>
Do US Korean restaurants force you to use Korean chopsticks?
>>
>>7122343
This.

From my experiences Koreans seem really judgmental and racist.
>>
>>7122293

>make friends with cooks/chefs

Yeah, I've never hung out with the cooks/chef outside of work, despite being asked if I want to go for drinks or whatever.

Shit, I'm too autismo to even change at the restaurant; I just show up in my checkered pants and kitchen shoes and walk right out at the end of the night the same way.

>would rather just shower and drink vodka while watching tv naked on the couch before passing out

Oh well.
>>
>>7122351
Well yeah, but she could've said something. For a second I thought I said something wrong.
>>7122358
You are right about that. A funny thing happened later, the owner/manager came and chatted with us for a minute while we were eating and he even prepared a small portion of food, added some sauce and stuff and fed it to us. That was new and interesting.
>>
I'm not Korean but best I can tell from the side dishes is like any normal people dishes, you're not supposed to eat from the dishes directly, you take some and put them on your plate or mix them into whatever else you're eating.
>>
>>7122362
I got a pair of crappy chinese takeout chopsticks and a big ass spoon.
>>
>>7122343
Might have been FOB. Anyway, in my experience, Koreans are very conservative. They'll be polite to a fault but also passive aggressive as fuck because they're looking down on you in a million different ways.

Then again, most of the Koreans I've met are Presbyterian, and Presbyterians have never been known for being anything other than stodgy curmudgeons, no matter their ethnicity.
>>
File: iwtb.jpg (244KB, 1477x2067px) Image search: [Google]
iwtb.jpg
244KB, 1477x2067px
>>7122227

>people at Korean restaurants engage in weeb tier banter and have kawaii desu~~~~~ chopstick fights over their bowl
>>
>>7122244

>they managed to fool retards who watch K-pop or K-dramas into thinking kimchi is something great

I'm not interested in those things at all, but will occasionally pick up a jar of over priced grocery store kimchi just because I like pickled/fermented things, and think kimchi is delicious.
>>
What would /ck/ order off this menu?

http://www.hwangbbq.com/#!menu/c24tf

Pic only related in that it's from their gallery.
>>
Just go to a bbq place if you are looking to pop your korean food cherry.

And yes, banchoi is a standard side to go with rice.if you wann play it safe go with the sweetened potatoes and kimchi are the easiest choices.

Meat wise i recommend beef short rib and sirloin.
>>
>>7122848

Bbq menu combo c is a safe but good first impression choice. Appetizers are dependant on what you like in Chinese. Goon mandu is the best choice for newbies while the spicy rice cakes can give heatseekers a run for their money
>>
>>7122848
Fried dumplings and spicy seafood soup
>>
>>7122848
spicy tofu 100%
>>
>go to a korean restaurant with some white co-workers
>they don't touch any of the appetizers/kimchi
>order the most basic BBQ stuff
>eat next to no rice
how is it that you guys just don't like food?
>>
>>7122848
Definitely the seafood pancakes & goat stew
>>
>>7122926
>Definitely the seafood pancakes
I tried that, too chewy for me.
>>
>>7122848
Man those prices, over here things like 된장찌게 are cheap as fuck, but $10.99? That's jewish tier greed
>>
>>7122848
>Korean bbq
>No samgyupsal

mmmm I turn 360 degree and walk the fuck out of there
>>
>>7122937
Yeah, I was surprised to see the rice cakes for $14.99 but then I realized they came with fish cakes so I guess that's OK.
>>
>>7122937
I'm more surprised that 떡만두국 was higher.
>>
>>7122955

Yeah, I don't get why the appetizers are so expensive.

Like $16 for fried chicken?
>>
>>7123546
I dunno if this joint makes pepper paste sauce for their chicken, but I would rapidly throw down $16 for a platter of those messy, heavenly chicken limbs. No one really does it like they do.
>>
>>7122231

>they try so hard to mimic western customs

How so?

Korean food shit seems one of the furthest from Western customs.
>>
File: twistshrimp.jpg (375KB, 423x510px) Image search: [Google]
twistshrimp.jpg
375KB, 423x510px
>>7124170
If you visit or live in Korea you understand what he means. They have all thede god awful western style foods, italian restaurants here are fucking gross. Pizza here is really fucking gross (pic related), bakeries are gross. Just all western food made by Koreans is gross and horrible and they always serve pickles as a side.
>>
>>7122373
are you black?
>>
I got my first taste of Yamasa soy sauce from a Korean restaurant. It's a buffet place that's pretty good on the block where I used to work. I'd get a few things for lunch or whatever and the soy sauce packets were always Yamasa.

That shows good taste, ordinary chinky soy sauce packets suck D but Yamasa is pretty good, interesting because that's Japanese.
>>
>>7124176
>33,900
What the fuck
How undervalued is their currency?
Or is that just godly pizza
>>
File: no_zim_dollars-100_trillion.jpg (359KB, 1205x360px) Image search: [Google]
no_zim_dollars-100_trillion.jpg
359KB, 1205x360px
>>7124239
Dude, relax it's just gook currency.
They're barely one step up from zim dollars.
>>
>>7124176

I was in Busan for 4 months. I can confirm that what you're saying is true about the cheap stuff.

Best 'izza I had was probably from Mr. 'zza. Bakeries are always fried and never baked things. Spaghetti salad is horrible. Burgers were okay if you knew where to go. Everywhere that the "fat girls food guide" goes is literally a no-go zone, like I don't know how a westerner can spend so much time in Itaewon without being raped by the packs of niggers at hooker hill because they mistake her for a sex slave.
Korean food in the West:

- Korean bbq is there for the following: Samgyeopsal (pork belly), gopchang (pork intenstines), chicken hearts, makchang (cow intestines) and any Hanwoo (korean version of kobe).

- Korean meals:

Meals to avoid because you will be ripped off:

Jjajangmyeon, kimchi fried rice, tteokbokki. Any other variations of noodles, noodle soups, rices, etc. Never get ramen, it's always the 2 minute packets for $10.

Meals to be cautious of:

Korean pancakes, usually are a rip off but they're fun to share with others.

Meals to get: Any kind of meat dish and you can't go wrong.

Don't get "Samgyetang" Or a chicken that is boiled and stuffed with various vegetables. It's not a lot of flavour and people will look at you weirdly if you are eating it on a day that is not very hot.

Korean eating with banchan doesn't matter. There's no set rules for eating it. Unless you go to a gastronomy place (rare as fuck in Korea) that tells you to eat the banchan in a certain way with the meal.

eating etiquette? Just try to eat all of the meal so the ajumma's working the service and cooking the meals don't think you're a faggot.
>>
>>7124252
>Just try to eat all of the meal so the ajumma's working the service and cooking the meals don't think you're a faggot.

;_;
I just hate pickles and Koreans serve it up with chicken and pizza and I don't know why
>>
>>7124257

Yeah, the pickles with everything is annoying as fuck.

Koreans will treat you well if you speak Korean. Like someone mentioned above how Anthony Bourdain got all this cool stuff. I think I probably better than he would while here because I was speaking Korean to people. A lot of people are happy to give you free/extra food if you ask nicely for it. I use to go to a local beer place for salarymen and I'd usually get free snacks from the bartender just because I was speaking in Korean to him.
>>
>>7124273
Yeah I speak some Korean, usually everyone is really surprised because most people don't bother learning. The coffee shop I go to the lady loves me and gives me 귤 every few days because she wants me to stay healthy, it's pretty cute.
>>
>>7124281

다방 or 커피숖? --- Like I went to Ediya because I became mates with two girls who worked there who would give me drink upgrades or cookies n stuff.

Are you teaching English there or just traveling/military?

Every English teacher I met there (including that red dragons youtube guy) were genuinely boring people to be around... Ask them about good Korean food to try or something interesting to eat and they'd say "oh have you eaten 봉구스밥버거? (korean rice burgers)" like they were somehow the trendy thing or tell me about some shitty place in Itaewon.
>>
>>7124295
Actually I'm a Maths teacher at private british school, the coffee shop I like isn't a chain. I hate going to itaewon, too many dumb foreigners and fat ugger korean girls looking for visas. I mostly hang around with Koreans, I can speak almost enough that I have been on dates with girls only speaking in korean but... it was a bit awkward. My foreigner ESL friends who have been here for like 3 years are like "dude itaewon so good" and had never even visited hongdae, ever, and don't speak a word of korean.
>>
>>7124299

Yeah, I can't understand those people one bit. I have been on a few dates as well, it's not so bad once you have the basics nailed down. They usually understand well enough that the language is difficult for foreigners.

I'm surprised people still enjoy Itaewon but oh well. 'muricans aren't going to change.
>>
fukin koreaboos
>>
>>7124311
fuck off faggot
>>
Does anybody ever get Korean take out?

I feel like they would either skimp on the sides or get pissed off using so many different take out containers.
>>
File: chix.png (143KB, 384x162px) Image search: [Google]
chix.png
143KB, 384x162px
>>7123563

This one?

I don't know, man. $17 for a fucking chicken seems a little bit outrageous.

What's so great about it?
>>
File: sesame.png (697KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sesame.png
697KB, 1366x768px
Do Koreans really garnish fucking everything with sesame seeds, or is that just a Maangchi thing?
>>
>>7125773

I just watched a few videos about how to make this and I don't even know.

I've worked the fryolator at a few decent restaurants, and frying battered chicken, letting it rest, and then frying it some more is a last minute option you'd only send out when you're slammed, and results in a fucking brick.

Apparently that's how Koreans like it.

Then the sauce that they toss it in is apparently ketchup and chili paste, with a few other things thrown in.

I'll stick with my Pok Pok fish sauce wings.
>>
>>7122186
>Is this an accurate representation of how to eat at a Korean restaurant?
no
>>
>>7125773
The best kitchens make the breading light & crisp. And the pepper paste can be as hot or as sweet as you like it, but normally it's just a pleasant, warm spice that builds as you eat & keeps you comfy. Koreans also like to add different grains & beans to their rice which make it more filling(as well as save on the higher quality rice), so altogether, it can make a revitalizing meal for a cold, gray, shitty day.

It's not my favorite cuisine but there's no denying that these hareientals are gods of cooking.
>>
File: 20151128_220518.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20151128_220518.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7125773
양념치킨 is pretty good, same price in Korea, but it's enough for for 2 people for a full meal in Korea.

Pic kindof relate me and my roommate murdered this chicken last friday
>>
>>7122373
I've had a couple dozen Korean friends over the years, but these are the only recurring themes besides laziness, but that's probably more likely due to the places I meet them in most often.
>>
>>7122848
Yukgaejang
Gamjatang
Buddhae Jjigae
Go deung eo
>>
File: turkey1.jpg (929KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
turkey1.jpg
929KB, 2048x1536px
This discussion of Korean fried chicken inspired me to use up the last bit of Thanksgiving turkey.
>>
File: turkey2.jpg (907KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
turkey2.jpg
907KB, 2048x1536px
>>7127727

Mayo and spinach on one piece of bread.

Combine turkey with cranberry sauce, Korean chili paste, and a little pepper and soy sauce.
>>
File: turkey3.jpg (903KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
turkey3.jpg
903KB, 2048x1536px
>>7127729

Toss the turkey and things together (only dark meat left because people have no taste/patience).
>>
File: turkey4.jpg (847KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
turkey4.jpg
847KB, 2048x1536px
>>7127732

Slice on a bias and garnish with leftover frozen pizza.
>>
>>7122916
You just tend to hang out with basic people.
>>
>>7122231
Korean culture has a long history of mimicry
>>
>>7127830
뚱뚱이랑 똑똑하지 않은 미국인들을 죽이고 싶어요...
>>
>>7122186
How much would that cost?
>>
>>7127841
In Korea, serving 4 people like that is maybe $10 per person, last time I went for a meal like that. But it's too fussy for me. Just give me a nice pan of 오삼불고기 and I'm good
>>
>>7127839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwoegZkGpw
>>
File: rabbit.png (455KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
rabbit.png
455KB, 720x544px
>>7122916
>>7127743

>eat next to no rice
>you just tend to hang out with basic people

Do you also go out to French and Italian restaurants and then judge people who don't fill up on the bread?
>>
>>7127540

That looks pretty good.

What's the green stuff sprinkled on top?
>>
>>7122358
>Dining out is a social experience. If I can't chat with my server/the staff
Triggered, you got me, I'm triggered.
Are you happy now?

You guys better never come to Europe, especially Germany. The waiter asks you once what you want to drink, once what you want to eat and then serves you what you ordered. After that you'll only talk again to pay.

Why is America so non-White in it's behavior? Your waiter doesn't give two shits about you, you don't know anything about him and he knows nothing about you. Why would you want to talk with that person? WHY?!?
>>
>>7128236

>why is america so non-White in it's behavior

What? Overly friendly service is a quintessentially middle-class, white thing.

Sometimes it's exaggerated, but servers aren't as cold all across Europe as you make them out to be; I've had plenty of friendly exchanges with servers in different parts of Europe.

Maybe it's that way in Germany, buy don't try to pretend like the way your little tiny country does things is the norm.
>>
>>7128517
To be fair, the German/Scandanavian peoples are basically Autism: The Nation-states.
>>
>>7127734

>frozen pizza
>garnish
>>
>>7125993
That's how my mother does it.
It makes it look nice too.
>>
>>7128236
>germans
>white

lol maybe 800 years ago
>>
>>7127839
>뚱뚱이랑 똑똑하지 않은 미국인들을 죽이고 싶어요

ㅅㅂ
>>
File: kimchi jjigae.png (358KB, 641x359px) Image search: [Google]
kimchi jjigae.png
358KB, 641x359px
Is kimchi stew anything special?

The OP video made me want to go out and get some.

>woke up to snow this morning and want something warming and comfy
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.