[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Ameri/ck/ans enjoy chips and fish? Any suggestions for a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: AFW-fishchips4.jpg (4MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
AFW-fishchips4.jpg
4MB, 3072x2304px
Do Ameri/ck/ans enjoy chips and fish?
Any suggestions for a good place to try some on the east coast?
>>
>Do Americans enjoy fried food?
No. Go away fatass.
>>
Really any seafood place on the coast should have fried seafood. I'd recommend an all you can eat buffet so you can get the fried food and crab legs and lobsters and shit like that.
>>
>>7119446
Long John Silver's
>>
>bongistani's call fish fillets and french fries fish and chips
>>
>>7119446
>chips and fish

-.-
>>
>>7119491
>Really any seafood place on the coast should have fried seafood
you don't have to be anywhere near the coast, this shit is universal
>>
>>7119446
Peat's fish and chips
>>
Its super common here in Wisconsin where it is traditionally eaten on Friday (it started as a religious thing I think but it has long surpassed that). Pretty much every restaurant offers a friday fish fry
>>
>>7119516
Catholic tradition of Lent, you uncultured fuck.

Back to OP, yeah any seafood restaurant should have an option of fried fish and French fries are always a side option unless you go to some 5 star restaurant in a big city with 3 forks.
>>
>>7119658
>Catholic tradition of Lent, you uncultured fuck.
Well it is more intense during lent, but the tradition exists year round.

I grew up catholic, and few people gave a fuck about not eating meat on fridays in Lent, but everyone loved a fish fry none the less

Lol at the idea of not glorifying religious dogma makes one uncultured though
>>
File: fried catfish with cajun fries.jpg (261KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
fried catfish with cajun fries.jpg
261KB, 1024x679px
>>7119446
I know in Louisiana we sure do, though we usually coat ours in a cornmeal mixture instead of straight straight flour.
>>
>>7119446
roll
>>
>>7119695
>Lol at the idea of not glorifying religious dogma makes one uncultured though
"Glorifying" does not mean "being aware of." You're being mocked for your ignorance, not your philosophy.
>>
>>7119739
What does being cultured have to do with knowing religious dogma? Typically the most religious people are the least cultured

But yeah, I was obviously aware that it was associated with lent, though it seems to exist year round so I didn't feel the need to get that specific
>>
>>7119739
>implying being ignorant of the beliefs of the truly ignorant is bad

>religion
>2015
I mean...COME ON
>>
>>7119762
>What does being cultured have to do with knowing the cultures around you?
I'm guessing you also loved telling your chemistry teacher he was wasting your time because you'd never be required to do titrations at your gas station job you'll have for the rest of your life.
>>
I'maa get blasted for this but I LOVE mixing tartar sauce with cocktail sauce for fried fish.
>>
>>7119766
>I don't believe it
>ergo there's no reason to have any idea what billions of people in the world believe and act upon
You're arguing for a modern version of Know Nothingism.
>>
>>7119768
Knowing rather specific minutia of sects that exist near you is a rather odd requirement in order to be considered "cultured"
(but I did know this in this case, just didn't think being that specific was worthwhile)
>>
live in west coast canada, we have a lot of fish and chips, but it's not nearly as good as it is out east, halibut is way too expensive, cod isn't the best, and there's no haddock. also they suck at frying it.
>>
>>7119785
>huh. Why do the people around me behave differently in public during certain times?
>No need to know, Cletus. Them folks be funny, now hurry an' finish this moon pie an' RC Cola so we can go up the holler and fuck Miss Hawthorne's cat. YEEEEHAW
>>
>>7119781
There is a bit of a difference between knowing the basic philosophy of a sect and knowing that for several months before a date arbitrarily picked to represent that in which one of their "prophets' was killed that you cannot eat specific types of meat on a specific day of the week
That shit is really specific and above and beyond what any cultured person should be expected to know if they didn't grow up in the sect
>>
>>7119797
>huh. Why do the people around me behave differently in public during certain times?
eh, people here like fish frys on friday year round. Its a little more intense in the spring but not very noticeable

Also your whole southerner analogy is a bit of a stretch
>>
>>7119802
It IS basic. If it weren't you wouldn't have even noticed a difference. No one is asking you to properly distinguish persons from hypostases in such a way that avoids the Nestorian error and properly accounts for the Marian title of theotokos or to exegete the relevant Scriptures to distinguish between the accidens and substance of the Host. They're expecting you not to drool like an idiot when restaurants start advertising their fish dinners more and why your traditionalist Catholic neighbors won't go with you to the steakhouse on Friday.

>people here like fish frys on friday year round.
If you weren't an ignoramus, you might have easily discovered the reason why this is the case. You're like a child watching the world move around you, having zero understanding of what is happening or why.
>>
>>7119446
just google irish pubs in your area
>>
Anyone else prefer eating baked fish over fried fish?
>>
>>7119841
>why your traditionalist Catholic neighbors won't go with you to the steakhouse on Friday
Jokes on you, steakhouses have fish frys on friday here

The thing is, I knew that, I just considered it too trivial and way outside the scope of my post, but that makes me a "uncultured fuck" according to you, but I think it is quite silly to expect educated people to care about something so trivial
>>
>>7119850
No. But I do like a good fish casserole if it's not too dry.
>>
>>7119850
nope
>>
>>7119516
>Its super common here in Wisconsin
All dat perch and walleye
>>
>>7119853
What makes you an uncultured fuck is not what you know, but for failing to understand why knowing basic things about the culture you live in might be worth doing.
>>
>>7119446
Why do Brits call fries, chips?
>>
>>7119865
This is such a trivial minor thing, why do you care about it?
>>
>>7119865
>in might be worth doing
Following antiquated arbitrary superstitions is never worthwhile
>>
>>7119893
I don't. But you came in here tipping your fedora, so I'm going to call you an idiot.

>>7119897
Speaking of fedoras.
>>
>>7119941
>I don't. But you came in here tipping your fedora
All I said was "it started as a religious thing I think"
And because I didn't get into detail that makes me an uncultured fedora?
>>
>>7120024
let it go already fuck, you lost
>>
>>7120047
>go on outrageous rant
>deal with it, you lost
Yah, religion wins another argument, because thats a thing that happens
>>
>someone mentions a cultural fact vaguely related to religion
>flyover shitheads start ranting about the invisible sky father
for fuck's sake will you people just stay on /k/ where you belong? no one cares that your daddy was a fundie and he used to beat you.
>>
>>7120067
What does anything have to do with flyover, can you autists just not resist using that term constantly?
>>
>>7119506
good was the operative word in OPs post you flyover chucklefuck
>>
>>7120223
its the exact same shit everywhere
>>
>>7120229
I sincerely hope you are attempting to be a master ruseman. If not, I weep for you.
>>
>>7120234
Its not like flyover is some mysterious hinterland that takes weeks to reach, you can literally buy the same food pretty much everywhere in america
>>
>>7120238
it's become clear to me, that you've never left flyover land and have no idea what fresh seafood tastes like.
>>
>>7120249
freshwater fish is superior anyways
>>
>>7119446
>Any suggestions for a good place to try some on the east coast?

Do you have any idea how large the east coast is? Are you planning on traveling the length of the entire east coast?
>>
>>7120258
freshwater fish is great no doubt, walleye or as you americans call it pickerel is GOAT but i'm sorry the sheer variety the ocean has to offer absolutely dwarfs the freshwater offerings.
>>
>>7120296
>walleye or as you americans call it pickerel
We call it walleye
>>
>>7120314
Perhaps it's NE US/SE Ontario thing, but most folks i know in the region tend to erroneously use the terms interchangeably.
>>
I younger sister's boyfriend orders it almost everywhere he goes.

Ours is pretty similar here. Except it's usually Alaskan halibut or cod and we don't drown the fries in vinegar. I'm not really sure who does it well on the east coast.
>>
>>7120489
Your limited experience with a handful of people should not be used as a basis for determining what an entire region of a country says.
>>
>giving a fuck about religion
>not knowing your culture
>2015
for fucks sake eat your fish or meat whenever you want.
>>
>>7120114
Most people in flyover land are either dangerously religious (see: branch davidians, Michelle Bachmann, planned parenthood massacre, fathers marrying their daughters in Utah), or shrill overreacting atheists with PTSD
People in decent parts of America are generally apathetic and can read a post containing the word "church" without getting triggered
>>
File: michign.jpg (111KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
michign.jpg
111KB, 500x753px
>>7120489

walleye seems more common here, but I use either terms, though pickerel is a bit more Canadian
>>
>>7121190
>fathers marrying their daughters
What? That's a rather odd thing to do.
>>
File: o-PURITY-900.jpg (204KB, 900x1125px) Image search: [Google]
o-PURITY-900.jpg
204KB, 900x1125px
>>7121196
marrying your daughter is not normal. but on 'murica it is
>>
File: woodyallen.jpg (37KB, 453x352px) Image search: [Google]
woodyallen.jpg
37KB, 453x352px
>>7121196

it seems to have worked for Woody but she's got a little brain damage
>>
File: chloe44.jpg (461KB, 1209x1920px) Image search: [Google]
chloe44.jpg
461KB, 1209x1920px
>>7121196

what if this was your daughter?
>>
>>7121229
Uhhh, she IS my daughter
>>
File: StraightOuttapuberty666.jpg (86KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
StraightOuttapuberty666.jpg
86KB, 846x846px
>>7121232
>>
>>7119446
>fried fish and fries
of course, why wouldnt we?
>>
>>7120498
Thanks to the magic of the internet my experience in not limited to a handful of people. This misuse of the terms is common place in most of the popular fishing forums for the region.
>>
>>7119722

I like cornmeal fried fish, but man that shit DESTROYS your deepfryer.

Used to do a lobster boulibasse with cornmeal fried lake eerie perch, it was tasty as fuck but cleaning the deepfryer was a nightmare.
>>
>>7119497
>amerikeks believe chips were invented in France
>>
>>7119791

You should give grouper a shot, if the price is right.
>>
>>7119503
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>7121190
Do you actually believe this?
>>
>>7119446
I do as a Canadian.

>Muh codfish in Newfoundland
>>
>>7119870
I call thicker cut fries, chips.
I know it's not the norm but I'm not going to call them steak fries.
Fish 'n' chips also sounds better than fish 'n' fries.
Also, fried fish with 'cha is God tier.
>>
So I didn't even read the thread because it's a bunch of amerifat eurokek bull shit.

American here, brits, please give me your most authentic fish and chip recipes I would love to recreate it as close as possible. I have a deep fryer. Links or recipes will be appreciated.
>>
>>7123032
What oil/lard you using?
>>
>>7123032
its the exact same fried fish you can get pretty much anywhere in america
>>
>>7123038
Wrong.
Tried fish n chips in several countries, USA hasn't mastered it yet.
>>
>>7123040
I have had it at several establishments in each england, ireland and america recently and it tasted pretty much exactly the same. Though its quite possible there is regional variation in America
>>
>>7123053
I'm the opposite.
Granted the fish used has a huge impact but the potatoes, fat used and batter recipe also matters.
In order I'd go England, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, America.
>>
>>7123071
Oh, I was specifically referring to the fish. That cut of fry is not too common in america, though not hard to find
>>
>>7123087
Can you guys get Maris Piper potatoes?
>>
>>7123094
i dont think so, never really looked though
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.