[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything wrong with leaving my cast iron pans inside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 0

Is there anything wrong with leaving my cast iron pans inside the oven, WHILE I USE THE OVEN?
>>
it's probably bad.

i don't have any proof, but i just have a feeling it's bad.

all the steam from the cooked food. the constant heating, then cooling. it's gotta have some toll on the seasoning.
>>
>>7119156
Why not just take it out?
>>
>>7119183
Maybe he accidentally left it in.
>>
It is blocking the heat from under.
>>
It's not good. Will mess with the seasoning, on top of making it harder to use your oven effectively.
>>
>>7119190
Grab an oven mitt
>>
>>7119195
Who said it was under?
Also, convection oven?!
>>
>tfw no qt racist gf

;_;
>>
It's cast iron, senpai, not fine china. The only things that can ruin cast iron are warping and VERY heavy rust, both of which you practically have to be doing on purpose to accomplish.

The absolute worst case scenario here is that >>7119174's prediction about the steam is right and the pans get a little rusty, forcing you to take some steel wool the rust and reseason it. As for the heat, it's a pan. It's fucking meant to get hot. I use my cast iron skillet in the oven all the time. I guess there's some small chance it could affect how your oven functions, but if that happens just take the pans out of the oven.

So to answer your question, OP, I can't think of anything that could theoretically happen that's bad enough to tell you not to try it.
>>
>>7119183
Because they take up space. But in the oven they add thermal mass and help regulate the heat. I just want to know if it's not good for the cast iron, and I suspected it wouldn't harm it in any real way.
>>
>>7119156
I've socked it in the oven to finish off steaks plenty of times. Depends on what else you have in the oven with it.
>>
>>7119156

Notice how he has to turn it as if the blacks are coming on to him to hard.. Hes probably just had a break up with jamal and has been crying and is now on the internet, whining because political correctness isnt working like a well oiled machine.
>>
>>7119156
I leave my cast iron in the oven.
Oil it up, and every time you use the oven you season the pan.
>>
Unrelated to OP's question: Is it bad if I used a liberal amount of oil when oven-seasoning? I keep reading that it should be a thin coating, but since it's going to drip off anyway, will my little lodge be okay?
>>
>>7121783
The reason people say thin coat is because the oil doesn't polymerize properly when put on too thick. The entire coat can get tacky even if it's an even coat, or globules will form sticky spots, especially where it drips off.
>>
>>7121816
aw shit should I be worried?
It seems to be doing fine
>>
If you keep your cast iron oiled properly between uses then leaving it in the oven while in use will smoke you out.

It also blocks heat circulation. You'll notice a lot of cook times will be different depending on whether you're making one batch or two and that's because having a large mass blocking heat circulation will affect cooking times. You may not mind the extra time but it is wasted energy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.