[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making stock for the first time ever with my ham bone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Going HAM.png (669KB, 627x628px) Image search: [Google]
Going HAM.png
669KB, 627x628px
I'm making stock for the first time ever with my ham bone from Thanksgiving (not Turkey fans).

So then WTF do I do with the stock?I know I can freeze it, but I don't often use stock in my cooking. Tell me fun stuff I can make with this ham stock.
>>
>>7114554
Pea and ham soup.
Ham iced lollies.
>>
>>7114554
Heat it up and drink like coffee. Kinda like Bovril, but ham instead of beef.
>>
Cook the hambone down with some red beans to make red beans and rice.
>>
>>7114595
I currently have black and pinto beans, could I just throw the stock in the slow cooker with the pinto beans and have it be tasty? Split pea soup with the ham stock sounds popular, but I've never made that either.
>>
>>7114601
I'd use the black beans since pinto beans are the shittiest beans in existence.

Can't tell you about the slow cooker since I've never owned one.
>>
>>7114610
How do you cook your black beans?
>>
>>7114554
Stock is useful for so many things.
But if you really don't know any better, make some jus with it.

Anyway, if it's leftovers from yesterday and already cooked, you will fail in making a good stock out of it.
Frankly, I'd rather make a sandwich out of cooked leftovers or just throw them out.
>>
>>7114621
>if it's leftovers from yesterday
It's midnight here. It's leftovers from 6 hours ago
>and already cooked
The bone and fat is boiling on a pot. The leftover meat will be consumed otherwise.
>you will fail in making a good stock out of it.
Why?
>I'd rather make a sandwich out of cooked leftovers or just throw them out.
What? Throw out perfectly good cooked ham? Mostly we throw it in some eggs in the morning or in a sandwich or just eat it as it.
>>
>>7114629
It doesn't matter how long ago it was cooked. The point in making stock is that you want to get all the flavors out of the bones and the little meat in there into the water.
If it was already cooked, the flaver is gone. Will not suffice for good stock.

And of course you're not going to through away perfectly cooked ham! Of course you will use it in some way (well, eating it). But you're also not going to make stock out of it.

Pre-cooked bones are totally worthless, though.
>>
>>7114635
I guess we'll see. The bone was in the center of a 15 pound ham, so I'm pretty sure it's going to have plenty of flavor. I mean that is the entire point of stock isn't it? to use the parts you would otherwise toss?
>>
>>7114635
You are giving out mounds of misinformation, bud
>>
>>7114639
Yes you are correct, that guy is a shitposter most likely baiting for an argument
>>
>>7114635
Ever heard of roasted stock?
>>
>>7114635
Bait post
>>
>>7114639
Well it's the best use for stuff you'd toss anyway, but not really the point, since stock is useful so very often. But I'd say you're right about that. Pre-cooked is pre cooked though. I don't know how much flavor could be left in there.
You can try, perhaps you're in luck. Personally I would make the effort with already cooked bones. In my experience it also makes the stock MUCH better, when you cook some meat with it (doesn't take much, just a little).
>>
>>7114668
sigh... I meant "personally I would NOT make the effort..."
>>
>>7114642
Well, no.
>>
>>7114554
Freeze in an ice cube tray and throw in cubes whenever.
>>
>>7114554
You cook fucking soup with it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.