[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really cheaper to bake your own bread? Where I live, one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: bread.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
Is it really cheaper to bake your own bread?

Where I live, one can buy a 600g (or 1.4lb) pre-sliced loaf of bread for about $0.65 USD.

I looked at the ingredients list and the main ingredients are flour, water, yeast, salt, and oil. But there are also a few other minor ingredients (e.g. emulsifier 471 and 481 and acidity regulator 263) which probably can't be purchased easily. Since people made bread at home back in the Victorian era without all these fancy ingredients, I'm guessing these aren't really necessary if one wishes to make bread at home.

A bag of flour costs about $0.33 per pound here. Apparently bread is about 40 percent water, so in order to replicate the store bread, I would need about 0.84 pounds of flour - or $0.28 worth of flour.

However, there is also the electricity cost of running the oven. A typical oven runs at 1.5 kW and it takes roughly an hour to bake a loaf. Electricity prices here are about $0.18 USD per kW which works out to $0.27 for baking a single loaf.

$0.28 + $0.27 = $0.55. That's getting dangerously close to the $0.65 cost of the store bread. And that's not even taking into account the cost of the yeast, salt, and oil.

Not to mention having to spend an hour in order to bake the damn thing.

So is making your own bread at home really the smarter choice? And even if it is (marginally) cheaper, is it really worth going through all the trouble just to save <10 cents per week?
>>
>>7113800
People generally make their own food because it tastes better not because it's always cheaper. Have you ever had homemade bread, or at least some bakery fresh bread?
>>
I can tell you right now it doesn't matter if it's marginally cheaper, the quality of bread you'll get is so far superior you'll never buy bread again. It's more work but a slice of fresh bread with a little mayo is to die for
>>
>>7113800
If smarter means comfortable then no. But of course homemade bread is nice and fun to make.
>>
>>7113800
Forgot to mention that I live in NZ. We've had $1 bread on our store shelves for over a year now. It's a "never-ending promotion" type of thing that all the major supermarkets here follow, as well as smaller bakeries such as Couplands. $1 NZD works out to around $0.65.
>>
File: woolies-bread.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
woolies-bread.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>7113825
It's absolute shit, hardly worthy of being called bread.
>>
>>7113807
>>7113805
If the ingredients are flour, water, and salt, then what difference would it make whether the bread was homemade or store-bought? Shouldn't they taste the same?
>>
I'm having a lot of fun keeping a starter going and using it to bake my half wheat/white flour sourdough bread. It's tasting better and better as the wild yeast evolves and gets stronger.
>>
>>7113838
Well when you get it at the store, it's been sitting for a few days and it's so laden with preservatives it's not gonna taste nearly as good
>>
>>7113855
But it's the same ingredients, why would I spent time doing this home for just 10 cents?
>>
>>7113807
You mean home made mayonnaise?
>>
>>7113863
It'd be way better that way but usually i lather it up with some hellmans
>>
>>7113858
I do it because I enjoy making bread. My grandfather always baked fresh bread and it always brings some good memories. But it definitely tastes better then store
>>
File: Hellmanns mayonnaise.png (30KB, 352x389px) Image search: [Google]
Hellmanns mayonnaise.png
30KB, 352x389px
>>7113874
Hellmanns mayonnaise is strange, first time see mayonnaise with this colour.
>>
>>7113858
OP here. Don't take the 10 cent thing too literally.

Not sure where you're from but keep in mind my prices were in NZD. The cost of bread, flour, and electricity could be quite different for those in the US. If you include the cost of the oil (not sure if this is actually required for making bread at home), salt, and yeast, then the two will probably cost almost exactly the same here (i.e. $0.65 USD or $1 NZD)

Something like a slightly more expensive electricity cost or slightly cheaper flour could definitely shift the prices a lot and favor one or the other (store-bought vs. homemade).
>>
>>7113858
Its not entirely the same ingredients. As this >>7113855 anon pointed out there are preservatives and other undesirables in most of those store brands to enhance shelf life. Bread baked at home doesn't last as long because it doesn't have all of those additives; however its not hard to finish a loaf in 2-3 days. Plus, if your bread gets stale, you can always turn it into stuffing, French toast, crutons, bread crumbs, etc.

Perhaps its different for you but in my experience
supermarket bread gets moldy before it goes stale. So I never get to use the stale bread.
>>
>>7113800

in the aggregate no, economies of scale mean that mass produced goods will always be cheaper, it is a fundamental law.

whowever, the comparison here is against 'premium' baked goods (artisan, bakery fresh, etc etc) where the prices run as high as $4-5 per lb

you can easily make bread of that quality for a little bit more than the cheapest dirt brand bread, as your cost analysis is fairly accurate. FYI the calculation for your oven is output in KWH or BTU(electric or gas)*(cost of output/hr)*time of operation.

A fresh loaf of bread can be baked in 45 minutes at 450degs and i cook with gas, so that will run me about $0.08, for instance.

You own time is the most valuable thing you possess, so if you are baking instead of working, you need to factor in your hourly worth. If you're doing it on your time there is a different calculation based on the benefit recieved.

Overall, making your own has a number of benefits, including not wanting to kill yourself eating miserable bread and so forth
>>
>>7113927
Sure but why the mayo is red?
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 635x241px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 635x241px
>>7113890
>>
>>7113932
retard
>>
What has the world come to that people will willing buy the cheapest sliced white bread from a budget supermarket?
>>
>>7113940
I don't speak yuropoors sorry.
>>
>>7113800
You're forgetting the cost of.your health which is priceless. Make your own bread and stop eating additives your body doesn't need
>>
I've been baking my own bread for a few years now, that cheap $1/loaf bread at the supermarket is cheaper if you're not buying your flour in bulk and using a sourdough starter (as opposed to constantly paying for dried yeast) - but that cheap bread at the store is invariably bland, sugary, and spongy. Bake your own at home and you can have high quality bread for about the same price, you can change your bread to suit your exact preferences and make different kinds of bread to pair with different kinds of foods, it's totally worth it, even if you do spend slightly more money and time to produce it.
>>
File: Pane_generica.jpg (84KB, 630x408px) Image search: [Google]
Pane_generica.jpg
84KB, 630x408px
>>7113800
Where i live whe use that thing only to make toast/sandwich.
Our bread is pic related, the price is variable but around 4€/kg.
I make my own bread and:
1) you need an hour to cook only if the bread is a huge-ass-single-piece
2) you can make natural yeast for free or use beer yeast but one block is like 10 cent and can be used a shitton of times if you do a long fermentation.
3) salt price is like dunno 20 cent/kg ?
>>
I buy that bread from pak n save

it's far cheaper buying it, if yuo value your time in any way

also paknsave is theft city it's so easy I stolen hundreds of dollars worth of shit from there idgaf
>>
>>7113800
>Is it really cheaper to bake your own bread?
yeah

bag of flour is about 2-4 bucks
yeast is another 3-4
salt is 1 dollar

all that will make you about 15 loaves of bread. for less than 9 dollar total. This can also be used for pizza dough and other things.
>>
>>7113800
>Is it really cheaper to bake your own bread?

Buy 25 lb bags of flour, or larger, and you bet your ass it is.
>>
I want to get into making my own bread.

Is they any decent way to stockpile dough so I can just pan and bake it on a moment notice?
>>
>>7113858
Fresh bread tastes better.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.