[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is there such a stigmata when it comes to ordering steak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 20

File: well done.jpg (888KB, 1944x1296px) Image search: [Google]
well done.jpg
888KB, 1944x1296px
why is there such a stigmata when it comes to ordering steak well done

like, why do people get so much angrier about this than other foods

i only started eating meat when i was 20 so that might be why i don't understand
>>
>>7112097
I don't think any well done steak could suffer from stigmata.
>>
Well done steak
Cream of Carbonara
Chili Con Carne with Beans
Pimeapple on pizzas
Mayonaise on sandwiches
etc.
>>
>>7112097
because people are pretentious wankers who think their preferences are objectively what's correct

>abloo it's an insult to the factory farmed abused murdered non-grass fed cow
>>
>>7112097
Because cooking it beyond medium dries it out and destroys its texture and flavor. It's the worst thing you can do to a steak short of smearing it with baby shit.
>>
>>7112097
Because you will ruin the meat. It will dry out, shrink and it will get rubbery. If it was an expensive cut your would get in a restaurant, the cooks will be mad to destroy something beatiful.

or ofcource >>7112115 le meme taste is subjective

ask yourself what is wrong with putting a pizza in the blender.

What is wrong with room temperature beer.
>>
Imagine you have this amazing piece of whatever you eat, maybe a shoe.

And it can be so amazing, as long as enough attention and knowledge is put in it. Then someone comes along and burns the shit out of it, and puts fucking ketchup all over, eats it and says it isnt there cup of tea, and says they dont like it, and demands a refund or sats all of that food is bad.

Or they burn the shit out if it and drench it in shitty sauce and say they are really good at cooking.
>>
>>7112132
>doesn't even cook his steak
>claims to put attention and knowledge in it
just because you don't know how to cook it all the way through doesn't mean the people that actually can cook it are wrong
>>
>>7112137
I know this is b8, but what makes you think it isnt cooked all the way through?
>>
>>7112142
what makes you think he really thinks that if you know it's bait?

your post made me angry.
>>
File: stigmata.jpg (158KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
stigmata.jpg
158KB, 2048x1536px
>>7112097
stigmata?
>>
File: 1444292498460.gif (674KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1444292498460.gif
674KB, 245x180px
>>7112137
>overcooks steak to the point where its flavor, texture and moisture are ruined
>has to douse it in sauce to make it edible
>"lel it's actually cooked"
>mfw
>>
>>7112097
because plebs with the intelligence of cavemen think they need to eat like its 10,000 bc since they believe their appendix will remove the food poisoning
>>
>>7112097
>stigmata

I don't think that word means what you think it means...
>>
File: stigmata.jpg (238KB, 1782x813px) Image search: [Google]
stigmata.jpg
238KB, 1782x813px
>stigmata
>>
>stigmata

Jesus christ.
>>
>>7112121

This. It's simply not how you cook a steak.

A well done steak is like crunchy pasta.
>>
>>7112159
>>7112147
>>7112154
>>7112151
stigmata is the plural form of stigma
his grammar is still wrong though
>>
>>7112194
>such A stigmata
>A

a is singular
>>
>>7112188
>A well done steak is like crunchy pasta.
Not even close.
>>
>>7112097
I think more people actually get annoyed about it because they don't like to see good meat wasted, more so than because they care how someone likes it

We could see an excellently made pizza get burnt too and we'd be annoyed about that. Wouldn't bother us if you preferred your pizza burnt but it'd still be annoying.
>>
>>7112231

Yes it is. You are eating steak wrong. You are a bad cook and a bad eater and should probably kill yourself so the probability of you spreading your genes is zero instead of approaching zero.
>>
File: hrHx0G1.png (158KB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
hrHx0G1.png
158KB, 500x571px
>stigmata
>>
>>7112121

On the other hand, if the steak is getting old, it can hide that fact.

I think it was in his first book that Anthony Bordain (sp?) said that people who order well done steaks give chefs a chance to get rid of some steaks that they would not be able to serve cooked medium because of off tastes.

So we should be happy when someone orders a steak medium -- it helps the restaurant get rid of their steaks that have been sitting around instead of them having to throw them out with the result of increased food costs and therefore increased prices.
>>
Oops

>>7112256
>So we should be happy when someone orders a steak medium

Should have read:

So we should be happy when someone orders a well done steak
>>
>>7112256

>restaurants serve people who order food well done rotten steaks

Sounds about right.
>>
>>7112097

>Stigmata
>>
>>7112225
his grammar is still wrong though
>>
>>7112113
>Mayonaise on sandwiches

What's the issue? Mayo is simply the best condiment to combine with chicken.
>>
It's babbys first elitism. Takes no effort or skill but still a way for people to feel superior to others.
>>
>>7112296
Tikka sauce is better
>>
File: Jesus_017.gif (37KB, 228x288px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus_017.gif
37KB, 228x288px
>>
you know what i find hilarious about the people that get all pissy about well done steak? Usually their argument is a bunch of shit

"they are ruining the steak"
"that is an expensive cut of meat and they are destroying it"

hey, guess what, if the person who ordered it thinks its GOOD that way, it hasnt been ruined. It has only been ruined if it is made inedible. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it is ruined. Let those idiots eat their well done steak. Let them put ketchup on their steak if they want. WHO FUCKING CARES? IT ISNT YOUR FUCKING FOOD ASSHOLE!

btw. I find steak to be overrated, period. I also don't like the gummy texture of a rare steak, OR the chewy dried out texture of a well done steak.
>>
I think a cooked through steak is just fine, the problem is accomplishing that without drying it out.
>>
It's just about the only foodstuff where every restaurant has to ask how you want it cooked, because it's the most adventurous thing some people will ever eat. Let's be honest, 99% of people that "like" well done steak are actually just squeamish.

Sure, it's technically no skin off my back when someone does it, but it's also technically no skin off my back that we put safety labels on plastic bags because some people are idiots. It just very, very slightly drags society down.

So yes, it annoys me to see the living embodiment of the dead weight side of our collective bell curve.
>>
>>7112113
>Well done steak
Ew.

>Cream of Carbonara
White pasta sauce looks like jizz.

>Chili Con Carne with Beans
Damn right, kidney beans are the shit.

>PiNeapple on pizzas
Not natural

>Mayonaise on sandwiches
It's all good, hated mayo until recently. I have seen the light.
>>
>>7112438
Get a load of this baby.
>>
>>7112377
we are JUDGING your for your SHITTY TASTE
and there's nothing you can do to STOP us
DEAL with it you CUMGUZZLER
>>
>>7112815
you clearly didn't read the part where he says he doesn't like well done steak. He was just insulting you for caring what other people eat.
>>
>>7112097
>Why is there such a stigma asking my barber to just fuck my shit up
>>
>>7112097
Pretty sure the word you were looking for was stigma. Stigmata is like a tattoo put on young girls genitals to mark them as witches
>>
>>7112302
Not needing ID to purchase a fork is best
>>
File: steaks at dawn.jpg (1MB, 3688x966px) Image search: [Google]
steaks at dawn.jpg
1MB, 3688x966px
Because there is no rational need to order it that way. It is safe at 145F, it does not get any safer beyond that. I wish you could just order steaks like that, since every place will have different measures for rare or medium, like the "ayy just squeeze your palm" sort of erratic techniques.
>>
>>7112097
Retard
>>
>>7113451
This chart is awful
>>
>>7113462
Explain.
>>
>>7112097
Dunno if bait, but...

Steaks are nicer, more tender cuts of beef with less connective tissue. The flavor and tenderness is best experienced when there's still pink to red in the center. People get upset because it's kind of a waste of money to get it well done. It really is, but hey, it's your choice, and their problem. Do what you want. Honestly though, if you're going to get well done steak, you ought to get a slow-cooked cut. braised, stewed, like pot roast or something. More bang for the buck than a tough, expensive steak. Nothin wrong with that.
>>
>>7112487
You got me.
Former picky eater in recovery here.
>>
>>7112097
Because in our eyes you are ruining a very nice piece of meat.

Ignore us, eat it the way you like it. Although you may want to try a medium-rare steak sometime to see how you like it.
>>
>>7113451
This is completely fucking wrong and misleading
>>
>>7113734
Which part and why?
>>
>>7113718
i've never ordered a steak cooked more than medium rare, and i usually get it rare. it's just something i've noticed.
>>
>>7112438
>PiNeapple on pizzas
>Not natural
pizza isn't natural
pork'n'pineapple is one of the GOAT flavour combos, especially on pizza
>>
The strange thing to me was that growing up in an area where cattle far outnumber people, far more old-time ranchers in the area tended to order steaks well done than rare. That was just the way they grew up eating beef.
>>
>>7113844
that or they knew how shit quality the beef was and the overall cleanliness of it.
>>
>>7112097
I get it if that's the way you like it to taste, some people don't like the texture of undercooked meat/fat

But what I don't get is when you slather it in sauce. Show some damn respect to the animal that died so you could have a delicious meal and actually taste the meat instead of using it as a vehicle for your sauce you fucking fatasses
>>
>>7113841
If you enjoy cocks up your ass, I suppose
>>
>>7113862
most people enjoy cocks up their ass anon
it's where the P-spot is
>>
>>7113859
It's just protein, and A1 tastes good.
>>
I think it's kind of ruining it, it often becomes too chewy and tastes worse to me.

I saw people on /ck/ also prefer their steaks basically rare as possible to the point of it being blue or just straight up raw_but_cooked_a_bit.

I personally like mine medium rare, I don't like my food to feel cold(er) in the middle it just feels disgusting in my mouth, for some reason visually looking at it and seeing it bright pink feels like it just shouldn't be that way to me, even if it's totally fine.

That makes sense to me and that's what I like, do whatever you enjoy the most.
>>
>>7113862
The pizza dough is a blank portrait upon which an artist paints. You can put literally anything on it and it'll still be correct. Make a syrup and egg breakfast pizza. Make an Italian dressing salad pizza. Make a gravy and mashed potato pizza. Be creative, have fun with it. Stop being such a boring pleb.
>>
>>7114273
>>
>>7112113
>implying pineapple on pizzas ISN'T the shit
>>
>my friends looks of disghust when I order steak tartare
>>
>>7112097
Depends on the cut of meat. With prime cuts the purpose is to taste the quality of the beef which is best expressed at rare temps.
>>
The classic touch test is a pretty good lesson in why you shouldn't overcook a steak. Essentially, the fleshy part of the palm at the base of the thumb can be used to gauge what a steak should feel like at different levels of doneness. With your hand open it's raw, touch the thumb and forefinger together and it's rare, thumb to middle finger is medium-well, thumb to ring finger is medium, and thumb to pinky is well done. Try those out and understand why a well done steak is unnecessarily tough.

Also, a steak will dry out when well done, meaning that it turns to dry pap in the mouth, thus the need for sauces.

Furthermore, different cuts of beef with more connective tissue taste far, far better when thoroughly cooked than a steak does.

Finally, the only reason people order well done steak is because they're squeamish about pink meat, but they're succumbing to the peer pressure that tells them that a steak is premium food. They'd be happier with a nice stew or piece of brisket.

If you like your steak well done, then good for you, but don't pretend that it hasn't been cooked wrongly.
>>
File: Cave-Art-Standing-Bison-25114.jpg (36KB, 400x321px) Image search: [Google]
Cave-Art-Standing-Bison-25114.jpg
36KB, 400x321px
Ooga booga

What is fire?

Meat better bloody and parasite ridden!
>>
>>7114291
*ISN'T shit
>>
>>7114778
>a nice stew or piece of brisket.

This is so true. If you're scared of pink meat, whatever, but have something that's actually good when it's cooked for a long time. Slow cooked meat is amazing, well done steak is aiming for the worst possible cooking time for beef and hitting it square in the middle.
>>
>>7112097
i doubt anyone gets angry or anything even close to that but imo steaks are tougher when well done and also they get dry.
>>
>>7114810
>>7114810
>IMO

That isn't an opinion, its a obvious fact of cooking meat.

Literally the only people who wont eat rare steak are picky eaters who are squeamish of anything different. In my experience they also (though I'm not saying this is the rule) tend to be the ones who eat the same mediocre comfort foods and variations thereof.
>>
>>7112262
jep found also heard this from diffent sources. Some one who order a steak well done wouldn't notice the difference in quality anyway. And again the cooks are mad.
>>
have people here ever considered that someone just likes the texture and taste of a well-done steak?

it's not like they are eating fucking feces, it's just an overcooked steak and some people like that.
>>
File: 1445002337581.jpg (500KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1445002337581.jpg
500KB, 1280x1707px
>>7112101
Oh you.
>>
Is blue steak nice?

I usually get mine quite rare and I'm curious but shit is expensive.
>>
>>7112097
It's similar to making sexual innuendos about the Queen.

Steak is considered a premium food. It is expensive and there is a pretty well established way in which it should be served. The difference in quality between medium rare and well done is so large, that many chefs will see it as a complete waste of produce. In other words, you're throwing $10 in the trash and wasting 10 minutes of your time every time a person orders well done.
>>
>>7117143
You're only throwing $10 in the trash and wasting 10 minutes if the customer refuses to eat it.
>>
>>7116035
If you don't like it, you could try cooking it a bit more. It's not ideal and it will probably dry it out a bit, but it's by no means wasted.
>>
>>7113352
"you" as in "people who eat steak well done"
>>
>>7112125
I eat my steak medium-rare to rare, fuck the chefs mate.....if a customer comes in and pays whatever for a steak and asks for it to be rolled in shit, as a chef, you do it....the customer is paying noone gives a fuck what the chefs think.

As for whats wrong with room temperature beer, a fuckin lot if you live in Australia....
>>
>>7112097
It just makes it taste bad. People getting mad at others for it is basically a meme at this point
>>
something dies for you to eat it and you're going to ruin it.
>>
>>7114273
You must be from California.
>>
>>7114899
>Literally the only people who wont eat rare steak are picky eaters who are squeamish of anything different.
Literally not true. I am not a picky eater (I had unagi just last night) and I don't eat rare steak. I don't eat well done steak either. I get medium. Because rare has a sort of a gummy texture to me that isn't enticing. And I don't really find that the rare tastes any better than a medium steak (probably because I don't like the texture, and texture and mouth feel actually do affect how you taste things. Probably the same reason I can't ever order Calamari. Because it gets rubbery if it isn't cooked exactly right, and it is really easy to fuck up). I dont like the dry chewy steak of well done, either.

But this whole "anyone who doesn't eat what I eat (or drink the beer i drink) are picky children with no palates needs to stop. it is the one of the worst forms of self aggrandizement. The lowering of other people based on meaningless tastes and opinions so you feel slightly superior.
>>
File: laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif
11KB, 500x500px
>>7117950
lel

unagi is what boring whitebreads think is exotic gastronomic skydiving

get back to me when you're eating something more adventurous than a grilled fillet-o-fish glazed in teriyaki sauce
>>
File: sick-tatt-bro.jpg (28KB, 522x258px) Image search: [Google]
sick-tatt-bro.jpg
28KB, 522x258px
>>7112149
he probably puts steak sauce on it. lol
>>
>>7117894
>shit "people" from the flyover states say
>>
>>7112097
sometimes I overcook my steak by accident. I let it rest so it's still flavourful and juicy. It's still good, just a different flavour profile that I don't enjoy as much as I enjoy medium rare steak.
>>
File: 1320020140951.jpg (59KB, 407x521px) Image search: [Google]
1320020140951.jpg
59KB, 407x521px
>Stigmata

My opinion is that if you order a steak at many places, you will get a thin piece of dry, burnt leather. If you order a steak medium rare at the same place, then you get a steak that is thicker and juicier, but at the cost of foodbourne illness.
>>
File: ayy_lmao.jpg (40KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
ayy_lmao.jpg
40KB, 550x550px
>>7112137
i actually kek'd
>>
>>7112097
A well done steak doesn't taste good to me. I like medium, it's juicy and easy to chew not to mention delicious.
>>
Nobody cares at a restaurant.

It's your own preference. However, it can show a lack of refinement if it's half a dinner, and half a job interview. If you're not interviewing for law, business or medicine then it's probably not a concern for you anyways. Since dinner isn't part of the equation.

You also never season the steak before tasting it in those situations. I apparently over salt things so I just have a couple bites beforehand, just because.
>>
>>7112097
>why is there such a stigmata when it comes to ordering steak well done
because steak is expensive and it ruins the steak
>>
File: 1448433645481.jpg (24KB, 476x349px) Image search: [Google]
1448433645481.jpg
24KB, 476x349px
>>7112125

>It will dry out

Nigger, I cook well done all the time and it still ends up juicy and great. Clearly, you suck ass at cooking a well done steak.
>>
>>7117143

It tastes better well done to certain people. The idea is that you make the customer happy, not appease your ego.

If you think that your ego is more important as a cook, then you're a bad cook, period.
>>
>>7112097
The main disadvantage to ordering a steak well-done is textural. As you cook meat to a higher and higher temperature, the muscle fibers contract, squeezing out valuable moisture into your pan where it promptly evaporates. That moisture could have been making your steak jucier. This is why people mock well-done steak as being equivalent to shoe leather.

A proper steak is seared with extremely high heat to create a good, flavorful crust on the outside, while cooking the interior to the perfect compromise between tenderness and texture.
>>
File: 1413487771121.jpg (519KB, 837x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1413487771121.jpg
519KB, 837x1024px
>>7120539

People on 4chan like this.. On 4chan.. Talking about this.. On 4chan.. Over such simple-attained meme-knowledge.. On 4chan.. Talking about the sophistication of life...

.... On 4chan...

Over such an easy to guess way of thinking on this pretentious meme saturated board.. living sophisticated.. in their basement with a hostess fruit pie and a mtn dew..

on 4chan....

A lack of sophistication... on 4chan..
>>
File: 1389720325923.jpg (14KB, 251x240px) Image search: [Google]
1389720325923.jpg
14KB, 251x240px
>>7112097
>stigmata
>>
>>7113361
>Stigmata is like a tattoo put on young girls genitals to mark them as witches
wtf?
>>
File: vocab.png (66KB, 1000x479px) Image search: [Google]
vocab.png
66KB, 1000x479px
>>7121162
its not hard, you fucking idiot
>>
>>7120620

Also, you can't taste it if the meat is getting old.
>>
It's really simple.

The people who prefer well done steaks are fucking stupid. Everyone of them honestly think that the juice is blood and it isn't fully cooked until "all the blood" is gone....

There is no point in arguing w/ these dipshits.

Would you waste your time arguing with an asshat who says they prefer a pizza that is cooked for 30 minutes in a 500 degree oven? No, you'd just realize they were fucking stupid and move on
>>
>>7121812
>Muh way iz teh onlee way n of u dizagre den u be rayciz n shit

Give reason for your beliefs or fuck off
>>
Here is a perfectly cooked pizza because it's the way I like it. Anyone who wonders how this pizza could taste good or wouldn't even try it is just a fucking food snob
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.