[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>real crab >needs just 1 man and a boat >0 additional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: imitation-crab.jpg (42KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
imitation-crab.jpg
42KB, 1000x563px
>real crab
>needs just 1 man and a boat
>0 additional ingredients
>expensive

>imitation crab
>needs hundreds of workers, engineers, scientists, labs, and factories
>20+ additional ingredients
>cheap

Why is this? Shouldn't the real crab be cheaper since less effort (and salaries) have gone into producing it?
>>
commercial fishing in oceans is very easy. they just vaccuum up all the whitefish and press it into whatever.

crab, if youve ever watched tv before, it labor intensive.
>>
>>7111235
I bet life seems simpler when you're as dumb as op.
>>
supply and demand
>>
I actually really like surimi. But I don't think of it as crab. It's its own thing.
>>
>>7111235
Ur dum
>>
>>7111251
how do you vacuum the ocean? where does the water go?
>>
File: 1443722824071.jpg (18KB, 312x358px) Image search: [Google]
1443722824071.jpg
18KB, 312x358px
>>7111235
>Logistical costs for crab hunting and distribution don't exist.
>You need a degree in science/engineering/chemistry to operate the machines
>>
>>7111363
How do you vacuum a room? Where does the air go?
>>
OP here never mind I figured it out
>>
Neither of what you said is true

And real crab is real crab, why would the fake one be more expensive on that premise alone?
>>
>>7111546
OP here. This wasn't me. :P

Judging from the replies, the only real explanation I can see is that the price of Alaskan Pollock+processing into surimi costs more than the price of crab alone.

In other words, Alaskan Pollock must be one hell of a cheap fish and actual crab must be one hell of an elusive crustacean.
>>
>>7111586
Fish are bigger then crabs and don't require pulling up pots you can just net long amounts of them at once. Fish also don't require you to remove pieces of shell.
>>
No crab fishermen in this thread I see...

Crabs are a real pain to deal with. They are sensitive to water temperature, and they like to hang out in shallow water. If the water level drops, the water level drops and the temperature goes up, and then the crabs get infections and their food supply migrates and you have to run them down.

Because the are easy targets they get over fished so there are restrictions on what you can catch, where and how.

They are small and require manual work to process.

They crawl around on the bottom, sometimes in the weeds and shit and /or shallow water so you can't just go sieve them up in net like the top feeders.
>>
>>7111235

>shilling for pollock

I hate you OP.
>>
>>7111235
>one man and a boat
I suggest you don't work on a crab boat anytime soon if this is your perception of them
>>
>>7111586
Yeah. catching crab is a bitch. Catching fish is easy enough that we'll probably drive most of them to extinction eventually. The TV show deadliest catch didn't take off because discovery channel has masterful creative minds making shit up. It took off because industrial-scale crab fishing is still a stressful and miserable enough experience to make a reality show out of with only a minimum of editing and presentation.
>>
Idiots in this thread. Surimi is made out of bycatch. Trash fish caught together with more valuable fish are fed into a grinder, mixed with other stuff and molded into tubes.
>>
>>7111235
Probably economies of scale for the most part.
>>
>>7112632
>If the water level drops, the water level drops

Intredasting.
>>
- there is less fresh crab in the world
- people prefer fresh crab

You guys are overcomplicating this
>>
I make pempek, which is basically surimi, and that's easy and only has three ingredients (five if you add salt and MSG): egg whites, whitefish and cornstarch. That's it.
You put egg whites in the blender, add whitefish and blitz to a pulp. Stir in cornstarch as necessary to make a kinda half-batter-half-dough-like thing then either:
• squeeze into casings and boil to set; you can twist it into balls or sausages, if you want
• paint in a thin layer and steam to set then roll the sheets into sticks
• layer a loaf pan with clingfilm, fill with the "dough" and wrap tightly to seal then steam to set and slice (fish tofu)
> I also like to shave it thin, kinda like a fish-based deli meat
• mix with various aromatics and veg then drop by the spoonful into blisteringly hot oil to fry to GBD
• stuff into veg and braise it

If you use glutinous rice flour instead of cornstarch, you can make it into a thing with a cookie-dough-like texture. Roll it into a sausage-like shape and cut slices off it. Then, you dry out the slices completely before frying in hot oil. They'll puff up into crispy and delicious fish crackers.
>>
>>7111235
You can make imitation crab out of almost anything.
Fish.
Soy.
Old newspapers.
Pretty much anything.
>>
>>7112632
>If the water level drops, the water level drops
>>
I worked in a surimi plant in Oregon after high school. That stuff is disgusting. Made from the shittiest fish. It's grey and they dye it pink, freeze it, and send it to China.
>>
>>7111251
>>7116610
If it's literally made out of random shit, how do they keep the taste consistent?
>>
>>7116699
MSG
>>
Similarly, salted peanuts need to be shelled and salted which must be more labour intensive than unsalted peanuts that are sold in their shell so why are the salted peanuts cheaper?
>>
>>7115155
ride but right imo
>>
>>7111235
>a boat
not even if you're just doing it for yourself
when I lived in BC me and some mates would just go toss some crab pots off the docks and would get pretty decent hauls. Crabs are suckers for even the most freezerburnt chicken.

commercial fishing is another ballgame entirely but in many places, it's just not sustainable.
>>
>>7116730
Because when the shell is damaged they then get tossed into the unshelled pile. They also take up less volume.
>>
>>7116739
I thought there was some place where king crab population was exploding because they didn't have any natural predators.
>>
>>7111235
Crab fishermen sell their crab for like $2 a kilo to wholesalers and what have you.

It's all the distribution and Jew shit that adds all of the money on top. The price you pay at the shop has very, very little to do with how difficult, labor intensive and dangerous it is.
>>
>>7116779
Those guys live super deep in the ocean. Way way deep. Much harder to fish.
>>
File: B1ej73DIYAA6s0C.jpg (45KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
B1ej73DIYAA6s0C.jpg
45KB, 600x300px
>>7111235
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.