[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>really, really want to try seafood >Context: Family never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Labster.jpg (449KB, 1508x663px) Image search: [Google]
Labster.jpg
449KB, 1508x663px
>really, really want to try seafood
>Context: Family never liked seafood so in my 20 years I've never really had the chance to get seafood
>all the local places have 3.5 or lower reviews

Do...do I go to Red Lobster? It's a 30 minute drive but they're the only joint with a really nice rating

Hell, I wouldn't even know what to get if I went.
>>
>>7108529

no
>>
it's only worth going to stuff unlimited shrimp in a bag and go home
>>
I wouldn't recommend a chain restaurant as your first experience of any food type.

If you do go there, just be aware it is like comparing olive garden to real itialian.
>>
where do you live?
>>
i don't think red lobster is terrible or anything so if that's your best option then go for it!
i would recommend that you don't go for anything that is deep fried or drenched in a creamy if you're trying to appreciate seafood for what it is. not that i think those things are bad but it's like the flavors compete too much instead of complimenting. i'd go for something that offers a variety of seafoods. i think that shrimp and lobster are so similar in taste and texture that if you're going to get a dish with a different things in it try to get one that doesn't have shrimp and lobster together. i'm a big fan of crab and mussels. one thing about mussels and clams is that they can be a little bit chewy.
>>7108555
this too.
>>
Just don't get lobster. Lobster is highly overrated and tastes like shit. They were once considered poor people food at one point in time.
>>
>>7108529
3.5 out of what?
>>
>>7108562
so were oysters
>>
>>7108579
>>
>>7108582
Oysters are disgusting too.
>>
>>7108593
We get it. Everything is yucky except mac n cheese and chicken nuggets.
>>
If you don't have any other way to get Lobster, then Red Lobster is fine. Lobster is pretty much impossible to fuck up
>>
File: Oysters-Rockefeller-41.jpg (458KB, 2784x1851px) Image search: [Google]
Oysters-Rockefeller-41.jpg
458KB, 2784x1851px
>>7108593
Please end your existence
>>
>>7108529

Jesus Christ no.

Spring for a good restaurant. Save for five years if you have to.

>>7108666

>lobster impossible to fuck up

Thus sayeth the Devil.

You've obviously never cooked lobster. It's really not supposed to be tough, you know.
>>
>>7108562
When will people stop posting this "fun fact" like people haven't heard it a million times. The lobster you eat today is NOT prepared like the lobster they used to feed to the poor. The lobster would be dead already and even if they weren't they were completely over boiled, not seasoned in any way, and definitely not served with butter.

Did you know they used to food pork, chicken, beef, goat, and vegetables to poor people a long time ago too.

That said lobster is good, but overrated. Crab is much better, but most people just don't have the patience
>>
>>7108919
Alternatively, people who use "poor people food" like it lends any credence to the food need to die asap too.
>>
>>7108912
I don't know why so many people like food so tender they don't have to chew. I love chewy food
>>
>>7108562
If you're going to avoid something because it was associated with poor people at any point in time you might as well just kill yourself right now.
>>
>>7108616
>>7108909
Not that guy but I don't understand why you'd want to eat something that tastes like you accidentally swallowed a mouthful of seawater and a dead jellyfish.
>>
>>7109371
Okay, kid
>>
>>7108559
Ugg
>>
>>7108919
It's not even a correct "fact" It occurred for a very brief part of history, and in a very specific region.

http://www.history.com/news/a-taste-of-lobster-history
>>
It's just fucking food OP, it's not going to kill you if you don't go to a 5 star restaurant.
>>
File: red-lobster.jpg (50KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
red-lobster.jpg
50KB, 550x413px
get this when you go.
>>
>>7108909
>mfw yanks unironically put cheese and butter on their oysters
>>
I've been a chef for five years, and I recommend you go to Red Lobster if that's your best option. Of course a fine dining, Michelin starred, 29 Fagat point restaurant on the coast will have better, fresher, and more delicately handled seafood. Red Lobster is by no means terrible. I'd say it's the 5 guys of seafood. It's not the best burger in the whole world, there are many, many better ones, but it's no McDonalds either. Take a friend or go alone, I think you'll enjoy it. Maybe go for a sampler plate. Be sure you get the lobster. Fried shrimp are good there too.
>>
>>7109758
>>7109731
this.
you won't know unless you go.
>>
>>7108529
Get the admiral's feast, and a pitcher of Michelob ultra and enjoy! ps. don't forget tto ask for extra butter dipping sauce
>>
>>7109756
>mfw a white person underseasoned all his food
>again
>>
>>7108912
>>lobster impossible to fuck up

add enough water to cover lobster in pot
add salt
boil 15-20mins

Wow that was hard
>>
>>7110312
>that one guy who eats boiled lobster
>>
>>7110317
>that one guy who eats it with garlic butter
>>
>>7108529
do you live near the ocean?
>>
>>7108909
da fuck? all you need for an oyster is maybe a dab of Tabasco
>>
>>7110312
do people realize how much flavor is lost boiling anything?
>>
>>7110326
baka it's 2015 already

>>7110432
nope
>>
>>7108551

this.

I don't know how much money you have or how much you want seafood, but try cooking it a home first, lots of butter, garlic, salt and tarragon.

lobster is fucking ridiculously priced nowadays and it's not really that good, I'd say it's good when you mix it into another ecipe like raviloi or mac and cheese. I like salmon, mahimahi and talapia for frying if you want to make some seafood at home, or just buy a party sized shrimp cocktail for one for the ultimate fatass seafood fiesta experience
>>
>>7108529
Even if you don't like the seafood, you'll get to have the biscuits which makes the trip worth it on its own
>>
I can never resist referring to "Red Lobster" as "Dead Lobster".
>>
>>7110312

boil 15-20mins

>Over cooked to fuck.
>>
>>7108912

If you think cooking lobster is hard you are severely mentally deficient
>>
>>7108529
just goto the grocery store and head to the meat section. They have salmon fillets de-boned.. just wrap it in tin foil with butter, lemon, and fresh dill. Bake for like 15 minutes and bam you have some tasty salmon. I've never had a good meal at red lobster unless it was the all you can eat shrimp.
>>
>>7108909
Those oysters with worstershire sauce and bacon are better imo
>>
>>7108529
>Red Lobster
>seafood

If you live more than 2 hours away from the coast just don't bother. If you do live near the coast then make the drive and experience some fresh caught red snapper and clam chowder. Don't go to some flyover chain place unless you are truly desperate.
>>
>>7108529
the shrimp is decent but it's still hella overpriced

I usually get the "admiral's feast". Like 1200 calories worth of fried shrimp and clams

I'm not even fat
>>
I work there.

Lemme tell you what's good and what isn't based on my experience and opinion.

Firstly, don't let this be your first experience. It's mediocre, at best. Neat that it has live lobster, but that's it.

What I like:
>cheddar bay biscuits
>calamari (incredibly, incredibly filling... just getting that should be enough)
>ceasar is okay, garden is ass, get a new england clam chowder. lobster bisque has been sitting there since the morning (like the mashed potatoes and baked potatoes but yeah)
>fries lame
>fish tacos and lobster pizzas are fucking good, better than you would expect really
>scampi is good enough I guess, it's just prefrozen shrimp that's thawed and thrown into a butter garlic sauce and baked. Not worth ordering over other things

It's really odd, but our steaks, burgers, and pastas are actually (compared to the rest of the menu) pretty good.

Best to worst pasta
>lobster scampi linguine
>crab
>shrimp
>chicken alfredo

Lobster sizes are 1-1/4 lb to 3 lb, and it isn't worth your money at all unless you get a 2lb lobster or more, because most of the weight is just the fucking shell on the little ones.

Best to worst desserts (ours really suck and have been shipped and storred here for over a week, go somewhere else senpai)
>chocolate lava cookie
>cheesecake
>apple crostini
>carrot cake
>whatever brownie desert we have where you get a 1 inch square of brownie

The fish is more or less fresh. It's okay, what with the salmon, talapia, snapper, trout... nothing wrong there, just mediocre i'd say.

>sowhatshouldigetfam.jpg

Anything grilled sans chicken. New england clam. Most appetizers are good, but get ready to take shit home. Pasta.

My faves are the Lobster pasta, the NY strip, the cheeseburger, and the rock lobster tail.

Your food is made by mexicans, and yes, they put on soccer games, and yes they're as chill as fuck and work like dogs, happily. Odd but fucking cool guys a lot of the time. Maybe it's because our area is nice.
/blogpost
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.