[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here cooking at a Michelin level? I was raised in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: MAO.jpg (104KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
MAO.jpg
104KB, 600x750px
Anyone here cooking at a Michelin level?

I was raised in the restaurant industry and being mid second year university, it feels wrong for me.

I did one year of cooking and quit due to family pressure and me fucking it up a bit (didn't push myself enough, ask the chef for more responsibilities, socially isolated from old friends due to fucked schedule)

For fun I tried out for a job in a kitchen I've admired since I was a teen and actually got an offer, but turned it down due to school.

I get that it's a tough life but all I aspire to is eventually open my own small restaurant. I don't have Michelin aspirations (though I would like to cook at that level) but I would like to open a good restaurant that the general public could actually afford.

Pros and cons guys? My old sous used to work in London 16 hours a day and the jr sous was at Noma, both told me not to do a career in cooking but surely there must be people who truly enjoy it.

thanks
>>
i cooked in a one star for a while and then quit to do something completely different.

it is generally good advice not to pursue a career in cooking because it is unpleasant if you don't discover a passion for it, but passionate people can't be reached by generally good advice. why not stage at your admired kitchen on the weekends?

i decided that the hours were so isolating i didn't want to do it as anything other than a last resort, cooking could just be a hobby i could fund with a less stressful career and i could always launch some kind of commercial venture later in my life.

if you are at university i don't imagine anyone will tell you to drop out for restaurant work. not even successful people who did it themselves. it will likely be something you regret. i almost dropped out of university but i finished it and now i wonder what i was thinking. finishing things you start is important.

tl;dr: yes you might truly enjoy it however you should be wary because the vast majority of those in the industry do it out of a lack of other options, and there is a reason for that.
>>
>>7107346

Yeah. I just feel like arts degree is borderline useless and I don't have the math courses to change to something useful. A lot of people in my city who are successful actually dropped out of school or finished their Degree first. I realize Henderson and Patterson are also self taught as well
>>
>Michelin level
First of all, what do you mean? Do you think that restaurants that do not have a Michelin star are unequivocally worse than those who do? You do realize it is a voluntary rating system and that their standards in rating have decreased substantially and become politicized, right?
>>
>>7107346

Should have specified a bit further but yeah I'm planning on staging during my time off between semesters to see if I still like it. The first place I worked was French and didn't really care for it, it was just a good place for basics and they actually hired me as I was completely green.

Again, my dream is not to be famous or have 3 stars, rather open a small restaurant where I can cook food I like for my friends
>>
>>7107367

It's easier to use that as a metric. Obviously there are very very good places with no stars and those that are rated incorrectly but it makes it easier to get the point across
>>
>>7107315

>picture of Mao on the wall
>picture of Sam Wise Gamgee

LOL I'm good.
>>
>>7107315
my cooking tastes like michelin rubber tires
>>
>>7107315

I think that judging restaurants by what a rubber manufactures publication that serves no purpose but to sell rubber says is retarded and goes the prove that anybody who willing works in a restaurant is a dumb fuck.
>>
>>7107460

4chan has this bizarre habit of ignoring earlier stated points for the sake of (yous)

I was just using it as to denote a good kitchen

and some people just like cooking, doesn't make them dumber then artists or people who follow less than lucrative careers for the sake of passion
>>
File: Brandongif.gif (512KB, 227x252px) Image search: [Google]
Brandongif.gif
512KB, 227x252px
>>7107487

>WAHHHHH WHY WON'T PEOPLE DO WHAT I WANT WAHHHH!!!!
>>
>>7107492

I'm just saying I already said that I only used Michelin as an easy way of saying "good food"

I specifically said it has faults
>>
>>7107530

>I'm just saying

Stopped reading there.

>WAHHHHHHHH DO WHAT I WANT WAHHHHHH!!!
>>
>>7107535

meta
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.