[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently I learned that MREs/rations/canned food are actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: shiggy diggy.jpg (396KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy diggy.jpg
396KB, 1600x900px
Recently I learned that MREs/rations/canned food are actually shit. Not in the nutritional sense (which I already knew), but in the "this shit has a terrible shelf life" sense.

I think the problem was buying into the canned goods meme, that we could store canned goods for 25 years and eat them in a shit hits the fan scenario. Apparently canned goods are really only good for 2-5 years these days.

The fuck am I supposed to store for longtime emergency rations? Dehydrated food? Freeze dried food? I'm lost and confused in a vortex of edibles.

Help me, /ck/. Ideally I want something cheap that I can just seal and forget.
>>
>>7105772
>The fuck am I supposed to store for longtime emergency rations?
You're not. Unless you live in some shithole like Syria or Kenya you do not need emergency rations. Or a bunker. Or a stockpile of ammo. The biggest crisis you're likely to see is the price of beef keep going up.
>>
store some, write the expiration date on package in big bold letters, and store in an orangement it's simple to understand when they will start to expire.
eat as things start to expire, and replace when you eat.
>>
>>7105812
but one of the strongest countries in the world is going to fall apart overnight and this guy needs to be ready
>>
>>7105772
freeze-dried canned product, such as canned dried lentils, could last as long as 30 years in an edible state. In 1974, samples of canned food from the wreck of the Bertrand, a steamboat that sank in the Missouri River in 1865, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the 109-year-old food was determined to be still safe to eat.[1]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning
>>
>>7105812
How shithole do you consider Russia, friend?
>>
>>7105841
You have toilet paper now, don't you?
>>
>>7105772
Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes - there are plenty of natural disasters occurring multiple times every year in the united states.

It's smart to keep a 3-5 days supply of emergency rations.

Try mountain house products.
>>
>>7105772
why do you need to keep things 25 years you fucking hoarder
>>
>>7105844
>It's smart to keep a 3-5 days supply of emergency rations.
Think 2 weeks.
>>
>>7105860
>buy emergency food for SHTF
>SHTF doesn't happen for 25 years

Why waste money constantly rebuying emergency food when you can just get some good 10drum dehydrated stuff that'd last for 25?
>>
Don't buy that processed garbage food!
Homemade shit lasts WAY longer than that industrial waste shit.
If you want shit that lasts, start fermenting.
Fermented vegetables last fucking ages, lactofermented is also incredibly low in amines, unlike literally anything canned especially meat has a SHITLOAD of amines in it but no bacteria so it's "safe to eat". Hah what a crock of shit!
Ferment stuff man, make kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, whatever, shit lasts and is 10000000x more healthy than industrial waste they sell as long term food storage.
>>
>>7105772
>that fucking taco bell fire sauce packet
>live mas motherfuckers
>>
>>7105827
To be fair, all it takes is for the food distribution system to break down for a few days to screw a lot of people. What if the oil supply got interrupted and no trucks could get around?

All of my local supermarkets have maybe a day's worth of stock at a time, and I've only got enough food in the house to last maybe a week.
>>
>Apparently canned goods are really only good for 2-5 years these days.
where did you read that? they may suffer a slight degradation in quality after that time, but they're still edible for many years.
>>
File: 1419712854618.jpg (31KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1419712854618.jpg
31KB, 380x380px
>>7105772
>Beef sticks with cheese sauce

Do americans really do this? baka desu senpai
>>
Water.
Alcohol.
Beans (pinto, lentil, navy, jelly)
Canned soup
Eggs
Flour
Oil
Sugar
Salt
Heat source so you can heat water
Dutch oven so you can bake
>>
File: Hedley_Lamarr-Blazing_Saddles.jpg (44KB, 550x378px) Image search: [Google]
Hedley_Lamarr-Blazing_Saddles.jpg
44KB, 550x378px
>>7105772
>>
>>7105939
because food that will last for 25 years doesn't exist
>>
>>7105939
you could just eat and replace it before it expires like some other anon said, you dont waste any money.
>>
>>7105939
pick things you don't mind eating sometimes, eat on rolling annual basis before nutrient degradation happens.

Or

donate to a food bank on a rolling basis. this may even be a thing that tax deductions can happen for if done properly? idk.
>>
They found some cans from a hundred-year-old Antarctic mission and tried one of them and it was still fine. It's been 100 years of can-refinement since then so I'm sure they can still last for a long time.
>>
>>7105772
You can still eat that shit in 25 years. Meds are similar. They degrade effectiveneds over the years, but still good
>>
>>7106888
Uh no. Shit has gotten worse.
Cans are lined with poisonous industrial waste to prevent the cheap chemically dangerous aluminum cans from interacting with the over processed industrial trash they fill them with; which by the way is only made as safe to eat as is lucrative in a risk vs cost based analysis.
>>
>>7105843
Wait.. There was a recent time when they didn't have toilet paper
>>
>>7106331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29MrkYOXps

what about 14 years?
>>
they have ads on infowars for storable foods all the time

look there and on survivialist sites

im sure you can find food that lasts for at least decade

http://store.infowars.com/Infowars-Life-Select-4-Week_p_1695.html

>This is going to change the way you look at long term survival food supplies. These non GMO meals have a 25 year shelf life, are easy to prepare, and have no added MSG. Every time you eat one of these meals you can rest-assured you are eating healthy, delicious food and saving a lot of money. Your meals are as delicious and nutritious tonight as they will be in 25 years.
>>
>>7107047
also unheated honey of course, honey lasts for fucking ever
>>
>not having rations like this for a possible natural disaster that could fuck up your local economy

Just rotate the shit man.

And it's fine having some emergency shit. I have quite a bit, and an oh shit get home bag in my car.

I mean I'd like to be prepared for the fall of civilization, but I doubt anyone could be. Not to mention I highly doubt it'll happen in my lifetime. But I keep mine more for like if a crazy tornado went through and fucked everything up for a few months
>>
>>7107010
How young are you? Soviet Russia had toilet paper shortages.
>>
>>7107080
Why the fuck would I care about Russia not having toilet paper?
>>
>>7107049
fudge too oddly enough, shit never expires, it dries up but melting it back up, even in a microwave and letting set again will fix it up
i'm talking about real fudge though none of that fake fudge recipe shit that poorly attempts to recreate real fudge.
>>
>>7107165
Nobody cared back then either, cock massager. But we all knew about it because of the news.
>>
>>7107185
Is this cûck nigga serious right now. I don't give a shit to read any news about Russia stopping their asses with their thumbs
>>
>>7107207
You're too fucking stupid to realize just how dumb you are.
>>
>>7105843
Venezuela didnt have toilet paper
>>
>>7105772
>I think the problem was buying into the canned goods meme, that we could store canned goods for 25 years and eat them.

Yeah, its not a meme, Buddy. Anyone above the age of 5 knows canned foods are only good for 2-5 years. You literally failed elementary knowledge
>>
>>7107221
people seem to think the extended shelflife of canned goods means they're like C02 or Nitrogen sealed survivalist canisters and can last forever if stored appropriately.
>>
>>7105827
foreign aid nigger
>>
>>7105844
Other than water, which can be stored indefinitely without a problem, people can go 3-5 days without food very easily. A 3-5 stockpile is pretty pointless.
>>
>>7106030
This is true. Once I was lost in the desert with a friend. We found a jar of fermented peaches that must have been there for decades (there was a farming community in the area a long time ago, before the lake dried up). It was still fine, and we were able to survive by eating it.
>>
>>7107260
All your argument did was increase the benefit of having a stockpile.

If people can go without for 5 days, then having a 5-day stockpile means surviving for ten days.

Not having that stockpile means surviving for 5 days.

I'm confused as to the point of your objection.
>>
>>7107260
You have zero common sense.
>>
>>7107267
>>7107276

Because if we're being realistic American society isn't going to instantly collapse. We're dealing with things like hurricanes and earthquakes that briefly interrupt the supply of food but do not entirely dismantle it permanently.

So within 3-5 days in even the most extreme cases you'd be able to get to a regular supply of food, and since you can survive 3-5 days without food easily, having a tiny stockpile to last you those 3-5 days is unnecessary.
>>
>>7107286
Oh, I love making my family starve for 5 days.

Go put your dunce cap on.
>>
>>7107263
Stfu zero
>>
File: shia.jpg (131KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
shia.jpg
131KB, 618x412px
>>7107339
hey don't talk shit about my friend, faggot
>>
>>7105772
bulking on my nuggs while doing this.

good for for good times
>>
>>7105772
If you're storing food for emergency situations canned foods work fine. Just cycle the cans in your storage into your regular cooking and replace them add needed.

I wouldn't sit on the same food for years at a time no matter how is stored.
>>
The dude that said it's stupid to have a 3-5 day food supply..wtf you do for groceries? I mean every one I know buys groceries for a week or two at a time without even preparing for a disaster. Just normal shopping. You say you don't even keep enough on hand for 3-5 days. Do you just go to the store for every single meal? I don't get it.
>>
>>7107522
I think he means it's stupid to have a stashed away supply of canned food and rations that would last 3-5 days. Kinda like either stock up for a month anticipating an apocalypse or don't bother.

>I agree with him tbqh
>>
>>7107522
not everyone lives in america where you have so much space to store stuff and have large fridges to store even more shit. Not to mention wanting to eat fresh food.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.